is it emotional abuse

Old 10-07-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it emotional abuse

Hi... It's been 3 weeks since I kicked out my AH. I've made a mistake. I called him last night. I didn't think he would pick up I thought he was in prison cause the police said he was arrested.
The first thing he said was I can't believe your not hurting like me. followed by are you smoking? see you expect me to give up heroin but you can't give up smoking... I had previously for 4 months.
He then went on to say that he didn't know until now that he was losing everything. I said I just want him to get better and he said... I don't want to get better there is no point when I was with you you made me want to be a better person.
I wish I hadn't called him.. I feel guilty... I have also slept with someone else and I don't regret it and we are now only friends but I feel like I have betrayed my husband and that if he knew he would judge me and not get well.
Sorry this is a confusing post. I'm ready to listen to whatever you guys say.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

He is showing that he hasn't changed and that he wants to control the situation to accommodate and excuse his drug use. I doubt that this is the part of him that you miss.

I am not being judgemental, I promise, but maybe take some quality time to find your balance and heal your wounds before you engage in any new relationship. It's too easy to seek out "love" and end up with another bad and controlling relationship. Sick attracts sick and healthy attracts healthy...take time to get healthy and I promise your life can and will be better.

Hugs
Old 10-07-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is trying to manipulate you and the situation, like always. Stay strong Karrets.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just had the police here with an arrest warrant what a piece of work he is. I told them all I could
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Karrets, I hope you won't let him drag you in to a FOG--fear, obligation, and guilt are very powerful tools for manipulation. When I was breaking free of a relationship with an addict a few years ago, I made a list of all the crappy things he did during our relationship, and it helped to keep me strong when I thought about going back to him. He wants you to feel guilty about leaving him. He wants you to believe that he needs you to get clean because it will keep you stuck to him. But look back on some of the things he has done that you've posted about in the past. Was he being a better man when he sold your daughter's dvds and sold them for drugs? Was he being a better person when he ODed before rehab? Was he being a better person when he left rehab without telling you where he was or whether he was safe? Those are all things he did while you were still trying to help him. One thing I have realized through my experiences with addicts is that their using is not my fault. It is always their choice. We are just simply not that powerful that we can stop someone else from using. If you could stop him, you would have done it a long time ago because I know you hate seeing him like this.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks jjj I should re read my posts.... He is not dragging me back in that hell ever again
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, Karrets! It sounds like you had a slip calling him but quickly realized that nothing has changed. Don't beat yourself up too much for slipping.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Karrets,

Yes. It is emotional abuse. It has always been emotional abuse. He will never take responsibility for his choices. He will always look for ways to blame you or someone else for those choices. And so long as he's on this path, he will not change.

I'd like to say something about this:

I have also slept with someone else and I don't regret it and we are now only friends but I feel like I have betrayed my husband and that if he knew he would judge me and not get well.
You know, I think I can understand the frame of mind you must have been in in order to make this sort of decision. When we're vulnerable, we're susceptible to making decisions that aren't in our best interests. What's done is done. But may I suggest, with all the sensitivity and empathy that I can muster, that you shouldn't give yourself permission to go "there" the next time you're in a similar position. That sort of physical and emotional intimacy isn't going to fill you in the way you need to be filled. In fact, it may hurt you. And personally, I don't want to see you hurt anymore.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you zoso. I have known him for 13 years and I've told him now we are just friends we are both okay with that. He lives 150 miles away and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have woke up. Your right I need to heal in a different way xxx
Old 10-07-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It always helps to go back and re-read our posts, they are our reality and they help us so that current interactions with our A's don't cloud our better judgement.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

this might be a good time to strongly consider ending the legal contract, aka marriage, that binds you to him. that RELEASES you is so many ways.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've done my will... I can't afford a divorce yet but I will do it
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you Karrets. Sometimes things have to be really bad before they get really good.

XXX