Update - Almost a year away from worst month ever.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update - Almost a year away from worst month ever.

Last August my Ah binged and sold our car and sold our kids Ipad for heroin. He abandoned our family when we were in the middle of moving and the kids were out of school. I had to take care of everything (move, kids, bills) on my own.

Thankfully I had a supportive family. I was able to get back onto my feet and stay there. My AH went to jail because I called the local police station and told them that he was a danger to society. (he violated probation but it would take the probation dept. another 2 months to lock him up). Thankfully they responded and got him off the street for his own and others protection.

I don't believe any bingeing addict is safe to others or themselves on the street.

He was locked up and I battled with letting him come home again. I did under the promise that he would go away to a 14 month program. He went... and left after 4 months. Now - he has a different attitude toward life. He acts nothing like the self-entitled brat he use to be. He tries to be un-selfish and apologizes when I call him out on it.. and changes his behavior. It's been 3 months since he left the program and he has not slipped up. He has promised to go to another 6 month program if that ever happens. He doesn't want to use and actively uses the tools that the program gave him on a daily basis.

Yet - if he ever slips - even one time - there are no 2nd chances with this disease. He will have to go away for the 6 months - and that thought is comforting. I will never live life with an active addict again. I learned my lesson the hard way and others have learned harder lessons. From reading here - knowing - the depths of hell they will drag you through or your family with no regard.

Today I have kept all my self-promises. I'm a total of 74lbs thinner from my heavies and 40 of those pounds came off over the last 6 months. I have dieted healthy. Tracking calories, exercising and putting my mental and physical health at the top of my priority list (of course after the kids needs). It's working for me.

Thank you Sober Recovery for always being there. I still read.. and visit a lot.. but i'm now very busy walking 4 - 5 miles per night.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

KIR,
Kudos to you. Excellent uplift !
Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great news I'm happy things have been going well. I dropped my boyfriend off to rehab this morning after a relapse that started in April. 38 days clean, but it didn't last. HE made the decision to go, he's tired of what it's doing to his life again. I, too, am hopeful that he will be better after practicing what rehab has taught him when he comes home.

Happy for you! So good to see refreshing stories on here. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be negative.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so glad you came back to post and give us an update. It helps everyone here to hear some positive news and see that sometimes it all works out.

You are a beacon of light and I am so happy for you and your family that you have made it past the worst and I wish you all even better days ahead.

Hugs
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Keelingitreal so glad to hear from you and hear the positive news, both for you and your husband. I am really impressed with how you took control and took good care of yourself. You must feel so good about yourself. I really am soooo happy for you. I pray everything continues to go well for you. Thanks for coming back and sharing your good news with us.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keepingitreal,
I am glad for you, that you have found your position of strength and you know that you will never be vulnerable to his addiction anymore! what a good feeling!

thanks for posting this. it gives hope. for recovering addicts and for those struggling to take care of themselves... there is power in taking care of yourself!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are AWESOME!!!! Thanks for posting about the wonderful changes in you and your husband! Sounds like you are both committed to a positive and healthy lifestyle and you are each working hard to keep things that way.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great update! XXX