LSD & mushrooms - can someone explain?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

LSD & mushrooms - can someone explain?

Hi, I have a friend who seems to be getting more and more into LSD and what he calls psychedelic mushrooms. I know nothing about them. Can someone explain? Are they addictive? What are the pros and cons? He says the mushrooms take away his stress.

I have no idea how often or how much he takes but it makes me very nervous that it's a habit he won't be able to break.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Hi, I have a friend who seems to be getting more and more into LSD and what he calls psychedelic mushrooms. I know nothing about them. Can someone explain? Are they addictive? What are the pros and cons? He says the mushrooms take away his stress.

I have no idea how often or how much he takes but it makes me very nervous that it's a habit he won't be able to break.
A quick google search should give you all the information you need about these drugs. There are no pros to using powerful hallucinogens recreationally.

Tell me, what are the pros and cons of having friends who dabble in drugs?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A quick google search should give you all the information you need about these drugs. There are no pros to using powerful hallucinogens recreationally.

Tell me, what are the pros and cons of having friends who dabble in drugs?
Thanks for the reply. I did Google it. It's not that helpful to me, there is a LOT of information and I don't know what to make of it or what to believe or what applies to him and what does not. Does it stay recreational? Is it an addiction? Does it ruin his life?

I care about the guy. We've been through a lot together (not drugs). I enjoy his company. I see him for an hour or so once a week at the most. I've never seen him high. Is what he told me of his drug use enough to not be his friend? Not really, not at this point although it's troubling for sure.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi I've taken both a ton. While I've never known anyone to be addicted to either (on dead tour back in the day every one took alot of these. They're not typically addictive-but any one going overboard on anything can be a problem. I'm not saying your friend is going overboard-but if he starts spending money he can't afford or is isolating I'd have a word about it. The thing about mushrooms is they're a natural euphoric-so most but not all feel giddy and giggly on them. acids not like that. If you're in a bad place when you take it you can go into way worse (emotional) places. It can also help many people find clarity and inner knowledge. I had an ex (we're still very good friends and he's one if the most amazing people on earth-but I had to stop being around him briefly because he felt bad trips were more-- educational-they may well have been-but to be near him while he went through one was very painful.
I know drugs of any kind can harm people and I've seen plenty of acid casualties-not pretty and probably permanant-but in truth if kids are going to play with mind altering substances i geek e were better off when it was acid and shrooms not heroin and meth!

On a side note there is an incredible book by John M Allegro-a religious scholar-called "The Sacred Mushroom And The Cross" which using Sumerian (which predates Aramaic) traces the roots of christianity back to mystery cults who used amanita muscaria- a very potent and toxic psychedelic mushroom to produce religious ecstasy and understanding.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

carguysgirl, thank you very much for that information! From what you said, unless things get really bad - acid casualty, the bad trip - I'm unlikely to know the effect on him. I'm not with him enough. We have lunch together now and then near where I work. I'll never be in his house or anywhere else to witness him using drugs. I won't know if he spends too much money as I'm not involved with his money.

I would not have known he used these drugs if he didn't tell me. I told him I was sad to hear it so maybe he won't mention again. It threw me for a loop to hear it.

What's an acid casualty? And on a personal note - and feel free not to answer - do you still take them and if not, why did you stop?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not a personal experience, but I am a product of the 70's and there was a lot of acid going around back then. A boy in our neighborhood took many doses at once (on purpose) and did experience a mental collapse. It took him many, many years to recover his prior mental capabilities and I don't think he ever achieved the success that he could have. It was really sad.

Jane
Old 07-17-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Acid casualties either take too much at a time, too much over a period of time, or just take it once st a normal level with a real bad reaction. Regardless the effect is a mental collapse. Some people don't come down from the trip. It's a risky business to alter your mind!
I pretty much grew out of drug use. Also mushrooms and acid are very rough on your stomach. there is what I believe is a rat poison called strychnine that's commonly added. Over time that gets hard to take. It messes with your stomach and tightens your jaw. not so pleasant! Plus there's what we used to call post tripping blues the day after. Just a run down sad feeling that's pretty common.

Good luck with your friend!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

carguysgirl and lovetohikect, thank you both for your replies. I feel better having this knowledge about it. The mental collapse is scary. The stomach issues sound painful, maybe that will discourage him if he realizes they go hand in hand. I want him to be happy and healthy of course.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How old is he? When I was in college, I tried both. Now, 5-6 years later, I would still do either of them again if the right opportunity arose (I don't see that happening, as I'm pretty sure I would feel like an awful mother & that would make it not worth it for me. Maybe when I'm 50 and have no kids at home haha) Now, I did each probably a handful of times over the course of 2 years. I was never one to go crazy on anything, and I always did the least amount to start- the possible negative problems that can happen are terrifying and I tried to be as intelligent as possible about doing something stupid. Mushrooms are less scary to me since it is a plant.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny you'd say when you're fifty-i had a boyfriend who would take lots of aid, and he started saying no one should take it until they're at least 40!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would tend to view "insights" from drugs as I would from dreams. Interesting and thought provoking at times but not necessarily true or metaphorical. I did quite a bit of that stuff 25 or so years ago, had a lot of fun for a while but it was not expecially informative except in my own imagination- they for sure made a mess of my waking life though.

Finding the "meaning" in a tree-trunk seemed compelling at the time yet somehow the meaning never lasted or went anywhere else.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all, very interesting and informative. SadWife, he is 25. I really don't know how often he does it. I don't want to know as it is upsetting. It really isn't any of my business.

I dated a heroin/pill/alcohol addict many years ago, for four years. I saw him in states that were terrifying and disgusting. So I tend to have a very fearful reaction to hearing about drug use. I know these two situations are not the same and am grateful for everyone's answers.

SadWife, I find it interesting you say you'd do it again except it would make you feel guilty since you're a mom. Then clearly you don't find it frightening by itself.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by schnappi99 View Post
I would tend to view "insights" from drugs as I would from dreams. Interesting and thought provoking at times but not necessarily true or metaphorical. I did quite a bit of that stuff 25 or so years ago, had a lot of fun for a while but it was not expecially informative except in my own imagination- they for sure made a mess of my waking life though.

Finding the "meaning" in a tree-trunk seemed compelling at the time yet somehow the meaning never lasted or went anywhere else.
Lol. That makes sense. How did they make a mess of your waking life? Why did you stop?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I burned out on pot, too much over a few years w/ mushrooms and other odds and ends along the way- nearly flunked out of school and had no concentration, always paranoid, burning thru money way too fast.. the usual sort of thing. I had a couple friends who kept on going and basically vanished off the face of the earth and some that also quit and made it out.

Looking back on it all the drug use was about fun and pretending to be into "learning things about my mind or experimenting with conciousness" but I couldn't string much of any reasoning together usefully, nor could I pay much attention to anything basically being clouded in my thinking all the time. There were no theories developed or data taken.. pretty much a lot of pot and drinking and music; all fun but nothing else and eventually a self-destructive lifestyle.

I recall a comedian joking about quitting pot, that all of a sudden he could remember where he left his car keys and thinking that he'd just discovered a mental superpower. Kind of like that...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I never took those drugs but knew people who did and it has been my experience that people who take mind altering drugs are just as foolish as those who take any drugs. They are a way of escaping reality, they are harmful to the brain and heart and body in general and can cause permanent damage, they are illegal and risk the same consequences as possessing or selling any other drug...jail.

If you only have lunch with this person once in a while and he seems okay during this time, I suppose I wouldn't concern myself with what he does with the rest of his time. But I would think twice about becoming more involved in his life...take a read around, being involved with an active drug user is a "trip" of its own and not for anyone who wants peace and stability in their life.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you only have lunch with this person once in a while and he seems okay during this time, I suppose I wouldn't concern myself with what he does with the rest of his time. But I would think twice about becoming more involved in his life...take a read around, being involved with an active drug user is a "trip" of its own and not for anyone who wants peace and stability in their life.
We mostly text one another to keep in touch as we don't see one another that much. He has a PO box near my office so sometimes when he goes to it we meet for lunch. I've never seen him high.

He lives with his gf. The relationship is not good and they are both drama queens. He tends to vent to me about problems with her.

Anyway - I will read around the board, thank you.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lsd and mushrooms are drugs people use for a number of reasons: to achieve another state of consciousness, to soul search, to escape worries, to satisfy curiosity. They are very powerful, mind altering drugs and are quite different in nature to alcohol, cannabis, crack, heroin etc.

Your friend may have a number of outcomes from taking these drugs. Some he may perceive as positive. But if I were you I would be concerned. Someone using mushrooms regularly can, as others have suggested, eventually lose touch with reality and even go in to a psychosis. Keep an eye on him. Perhaps have a discussion with him about what happens when he takes them and get to the root of why he's taking them so often. It's actually quite unusual for someone to use these types of hallucinogenic drugs on a regular basis. Many people will use them once and have an experience that either makes them or breaks them. Often people will say they use drugs to escape stress but in many cases they're using the drug for another, more deep seated reason.