help... husband has walked out of rehab

Old 05-30-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your so right anvilhead. So so so right. Rejection hurts like hell. I'm far to forgiving supporting and loving for my own good. Thanks for an honest viewpoint
Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Karrets so sorry, that has to hurt. He is making his choices and now that you know he is alive and where what can you do to help yourself? You deserve better. Hugs.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well today I went to the pictures with my daughter had a picnic in the car...tomorrow we are going swimming and at some point I'll take off my wedding ring
Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Karrets View Post
Just an update. The rehab clinic called and said my husband is staying with a relapsed alcoholic from the rehab clinic. The guy graduated 2 weeks ago the time my husband started. They know this because my husband phoned this guy's mum so she didn't worry. He never phoned me how cruel is that. For all he knows I have no idea where he is. The police are still wanting to find him to assess his mental health. Why couldn't he call me
It never ceases to amaze me how resourceful addicts are. So many of us needlessly worry and obsess while completely underestimating their capabilities.

I am sorry to hear that your husband has chosen this path. I understand how painful it is. I also understand more now then ever.....as we sort of the pain, they are too numb to even care. Just the sad, cold, hard facts when dealing with an active addict.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Karrets just letting you know I am here checking on you, thinking of you and praying for you and your daughter. Hope you can be in the moment and enjoy the time with your daughter. Hugs.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've decided I have to end it with him. This is just too destructive to live in. My heart has to stop ruling my head. I'm gonna have to move on. You simply can't have a relationship with an addict
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Karrets, I think you are a very wise woman.

We are here, behind you 100%.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-31-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love the first quote.... I have grown to hate the word hope sorry
Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just told my daughter a little about her step dad not being here. She was distraught I had to pull it back again.... Help
Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One thing that I have learned in all of this... always be honest with your children. They are on the same ride as you are, and they need someone they can trust with honesty, and you want that to be you. They don't need all the details, because 1) some of that will be your opinion and not fact 2) they are still kids and cannot understand everything. keep it simple. 3) you dont want her to have to take sides, let her make her own observations as she gets older, but do what you have to do to protect her if she would be in danger around the A, of course.

Our children know way more than we give them credit for. I tried to protect my two younger ones for a long time. But they would call my oldest daughter and tell her what was going on, and here I thought I was fooling them! Lol Nope. They are in tune with us mothers. They can feel when something is not right. Idk if this helped, but just be easy on yourself and keep it simple.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I went through something very similar and understand how hard it can be It helped me to remember a few things - you do not have to resove this issue by three o'clock this afternoon, and, "just for today" you are not engaging in a relationship with him while he's in active addiction. Tomorrow is a New day - it was too hard for me to think in terms of absolutes and forever. I wish you and your daughter peace.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I love the first quote.... I have grown to hate the word hope sorry
Sorry to hear that Karrets. To me the operative word in the quote is choose. I spent an insane amount of time ignoring my reality and hoping things would change without actually doing anything about it. When I took the first fearful step of actually making a decision, things began to change for the better. I hope this is the case for you as well.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

He has just texted me and said he can't live like this anymore and I should move on. I replied by saying look you have a choice I will move on I love you but don't want an addict in my life
Old 05-31-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

He has just texted me and said he can't live like this anymore and I should move on.
these things are all so hard on the hearts of all involved

his suggestion for you to move on -- seems to be a solid one

wish you well
Mountainman
Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's bull tho its his way of trying to reel me in again..... I know him too well... Why text me when I'm doing it already
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So don't answer him and keep doing it. Block his number. Move on and mean it.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

He walked out of rehab and didn't even bother to tell you where he was.

These actions say a lot about lack of committment to both recovery and his relationship with you.

I think you are very wise to move on. You deserve love in the full measure you are offering it.

I'm sorry you have had such a difficult road to walk, but it sounds like you've given him every chance to choose with your support.

Stepping away and letting him live his consequences does seem like the logical next step--
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Right I'm ready for the onslaught. I ended up meeting him and couldn't drive away. That was last night he is back home. I woke up this morning and felt that same anxiety when he wasn't here. I apologised to god for getting in his way. I'm angry at myself for caving in and stop him from reaching rock bottom. What I also realised this morning for the first time is how much I NEED to control the situation. him saying walk away wasn't on my terms. I have phoned my gp and organised therapy for myself. I'm so scared when I feel I'm not in control and think I have been like that from a child as I was bullied from 4 till 7. I'm selfish to need him hear so I can work on my co dependency. but if that's what I need to do to function at the moment that's all I can do. He has made an appointment at the clinic tomorrow. I am proud I haven't got involved which is new for me and I haven't checked up on him. Also I'm sitting down with him and putting in firm boundaries... realistic ones.... ones that I have to stick with. I hope you don't judge me but it's all I can do at this time
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

No one is going to judge you. You did what you felt you needed to do. Prayers for you!