Question about the first year.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about the first year.

Does a sponsor ever allow the person in recovery date before a year or close to there year? Do they talk to the person in recovery about transitioning into relationships?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

It is SUGGESTED that someone new to recovery does not enter into NEW relationships during the first year.

A sponsor works the steps with their sponsee. They are not relationship counselors.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes, what cynical one said.

It takes time to get strong in their recovery and although it may seem selfish, their life may depend on focusing just on that.

Hugs
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in recovery almost 4 months and my AH is in prison and it is the greatest blessing of my life! we communicate only through letters, about one a week, and in those letters we have a boundary where we only talk about the Bible.

The last time he was in treatment we both visited all the time, we talked on the phone every day... we faught about the stresses of daily life and it all led right back to using.

It is not a requirement. It simply makes recovery easier for all of those involved. Recovery is a selfish time.

"If you love someone, set them free."

I wouldn't want to be in a romantic relationship at this time.

also... did you know that physical "lusty" interactions can trigger cravings on a biochemical level? who wants to trigger cravings in someone they love?? Not a healthy person. That's for sure.