The struggle of recovery

Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The struggle of recovery

Machine Gun Kelly - Lead you on (With Lyrics) - YouTube

Just posting because I think that everybody should take the time to listen to this song. It's one of the best songs I've ever heard about addiction/recovery, and how the addicted mind works.

He speaks of his addiction to heroin like it's a girlfriend... his one true love. It truly highlights the sickness and the feelings that go through a heroin addicts mind, even once they get clean.

There is some strong language in the song, so I don't recommend listening if you're at work or have little ears around It also may be a bit triggering.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It also may be a bit triggering
I'm going to reinforce this cautionary note. But I'd replace the word *bit* with *very*.......

I'm at a point in my own recovery that it didn't trigger me but a few years ago, it would have caused me more anguish.

I think it does describe the anguish/love affair that an addict has with his/her DOC......
Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very profane, but If you can listen to it, it's quite an eye opener to how an addict thinks about his/her drug.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it is profane, as lots of rap songs unfortunately can be... however, past the language I believe this song perfectly highlights the anguish, agony, and defeat that addiction brings. I do wish he could have done it with less language, but to each their own. It shows the other side of addiction - the way that addicts really feel. There is so much stigma attached to addiction - "Oh, it's a choice. They're hurting people on purpose. They should just stop." It's really not that easy, and I just feel that this song perfectly portrays that from an addicts point of view. Of course we addicts know we're hurting our family, and a lot of the time the guilt keeps us wrapped up in the addiction... I don't know, it just really spoke to me I guess.