Need strength to move on

Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need strength to move on

Hi - I am a constant reader of this site for a little over a year and this is my first post. I've tried to post a few times but fear of embarrassment and shame stopped me. My ah has been addicted to pills for almost 8 years now. Last year we thought he had hit rock bottom and went away to a 30 day rehab. We had lost almost everything including a successful company that ended up going under (obv money was being taken for drugs). We have two young kids and today I get a call he's been arrested. This is it for me. I need to move on. For me and for my kids. Where do I start? It's all so overwhelming .....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Welcome to SR! As always, I am sorry for what brings you here.

Fear, shame and embarrassment kept me stuck for a long time. Oh and my pride was a killer too. But as they say, we are only sick as our secrets. Telling my truth was the best thing I could have done for me. Thankfully, I learned and came to believe "what other people think of me is none of my business." That has been the most freeing part of working on my own codependent recovery!

Have you considered seeing a therapist and/ or a lawyer?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad that you are here! We all have had those feelings before....plus more!

Peace is priceless...addicts don't provide peace.

Where do you start? Get support (counseling; alanon/narcanon; SR; read books on setting boundaries and/or codependency; etc).....you will need to have this information no matter what you decide.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think most of us can relate to the shame, guilt, embarrassment, fear, anguish, etc. that you have been feeling. There is tremendous relief in reaching out to others who understand.

You are not alone.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ditto the others. You have taken a huge step towards your own recovery. I let guilt, fear and shame keep me shackled for way too long. It was when I finally reached out to others that I started feeling relief. You will find great support here. Welcome to the board and I am also very sorry for what has brought you here.