Can someone help me with hair follicle testing?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Can someone help me with hair follicle testing?

Ok,
so the judge ordered my husband to have a hair follicle test. After he gave him unsupervised visitation. But that's a whole other subject.
Well of course he did not pass. But I have read all I can about it and here is what I gather.
He shaves his head so they take chest hair. Which goes slower. Right? And they test over a time period. Ie. 90 days to 12 months. So that number, which shows that he is not clean is over an average period of time? Right? so if he was smoking meth but laid off for a few weeks, since it was an average, the number will be lower? So there is really no way of knowing with this test if he is clean or not? Or when he was really smoking? if he laid off to try to clean up for the test? Cuz it's an average of overall use?

Thanks for the help...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

If he shaves his head they will take chest hair or pubic hair.

then the hair will show when he was using and when he was not over a period of time. Same thing if he doesn't shave his head. It is a more accurate test than a UA and he has a harder time 'beating' the test.

The only reason it is not used more is the 'cost' of the test. I am glad the Judge chose to have this type of test done on your H.

Hopefully when the judge sees the results he will change the 'visitation order' to 'supervised'!

Love and hugs,
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second what Laurie said. The folks who do the hair testing are quite aware that A's will shave their head, thinking they will beat the test. That's why they go to other parts of the body for hair.

It was positive....doesn't matter when he used, it was positive.

I'm hoping the judge in charge is "on to" what A's do. Gee, he suddenly shaves his head when confronted with a hair test? Oh my, I wonder why? Sorry for the sarcasm, but as an RA I used to worry when people told me the hair test could go back for "years".

Don't have a clue, don't really care....do a hair test on me, I have nothing to hide. Not so much with him.

I really hope this does away with the UNsupervised visitation.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't believe the judge gave him unsupervised visits before the drug screen!

In my cases, I always argue that the addict-parent have supervised visits until he/she can pass multiple random UAs and can pass a hair follicle drug screen.

He needs to be clean.......for a while.......before being put in charge of children. I'm not saying completely deny him visits, but they should be supervised.

That's just my 2 cents. In sum, I don't care how long ago he used, if he can't pass the screen, he doesn't need to be alone with children.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So when they say on the test 2299pcg or mg whatever... for 12 months. Isn't that an average overall that 12 months? which is high recreational by the way and just under daily use. I agree faithlove. he needs to be clean for a while. but that is the problem. He is a professional bull SH*Ter. He just sat up there and was like i "was" doing drugs but, I was "working" so hard. He told half truths and lied. AND GOT AWAY WITH IT!! Now I have to send my kids with him this weekend and he is going to the lake. I am crying.....

I even told about the story when he left the kids in the car in the city (we are country folk) and a man tried to get in our truck while he was in the gas station bathroom (smoking dope I don't doubt) and still the judge was soft.....IMO it was cuz the judge was about our age, 40ish, with kids our age....

My attorney ask that he not have unsupervised until he could pass a test. We didn't think that was asking a whole lot. I guess the judge thought other wise. So that is why I am wondering about the test. We will bring up his test again in july when the divorce is final

I can't hardly deal with the kids going with him.... It literally makes me sick.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

How old are your children? Can you give the oldest a prepaid cell phone with the home number already in it?

that way should things become 'strange' or 'odd' or making the child 'nervous' he/she could at least call home and let you know and then you could go from there?

My oldest granddaughter was given her 1st cell phone at 7 years old, only to be used in emergencies with both her home phone and gramma's number (me) programmed into it. She only used it twice those first few years, understanding what it was for, but we were right there in a hot minute.

Just a thought, and it would probably ease your concerns a bit, knowing your children had a way to reach out to you.

Love and hugs,