Dating an Addict -- Is It Safe for Me?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dating an Addict -- Is It Safe for Me?

I know this sounds like an extremely selfish question. But if I know my friend is a drug addict, am I at risk being with them when I know they are using?
Please forgive the question. I care about my friend very much and enjoy being with them.
But they mentioned something about not wanting to "put me in danger" and so I started wondering ... is there a risk for me just being in their company with the drug around?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can speak from a very recent and heartbreaking experience of my own- addicts are emotionally unavailable, they do not have the capacity to return the love you feel even if they feign it for a short time, they can in no way sustain it. This also goes for those in the early stages of recovery. During that early time of recovery they must be selfish in order to abstain and truly recover and most during this period do not understand their feelings if they are having them and many during this time are numb. Please do not open yourself to the unbelievable heartache and sadness I currently feel. I would not wish this feeling on my worst enemy, and I'm not sure if it is something I will ever fully recover from
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's not selfish, it's a very smart question. and the answer is yes, it's not healthy to be around anyone using drugs. one of the dangers is you maybe deciding to give it a try yourself. another is not being able to predict how people on drugs will act. then there's drug dealers, other unsavory characters, and let's not forget the potential for arrest.

if they are a drug addict being WITH them WHILE they use really sends the wrong message.......
Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Watching people self destruct is one of the saddest things we can experience. Invest your emotional time and energy into stories that have happy endings
Old 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firesong View Post

is there a risk for me just being in their company with the drug around?
just from what I have seen it the past

drug addicts have a tendency to have dangerous life styles

normal people usually think that the addict is insane (once seen in action) (as seen on TV)

proven to be true in many circumstances

M-Bob
Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am dating a heroin addict, I was aware before things got serious. But in still continued it. I have a lot of knowledge but still decided to continue a relationship. Now I love him and dream of a future that I have no control over whether it will happen. My bf said similar things in the beginning..especially that he knew he couldn't give me what I wanted and would hurt me..But I was persistent. I can say now knowing everything I know I'd still want a relationship with him. But I know I'm giving up a lot. And even tho I know I still get hurt. Just today I decided to spend time with him. Something was said nothing that I should've gotten upset over but I did and I left. He didn't apologize just started texting to wonder why I left. Addicts do not have empathy all the time nor will they understand why we are hurting. I suggest first continue posting and reading on here. And maybe go to an alanon meeting to know a little more of what you are getting yourself into.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I know this sounds like an extremely selfish question. But if I know my friend is a drug addict, am I at risk being with them when I know they are using?
Please forgive the question. I care about my friend very much and enjoy being with them.
But they mentioned something about not wanting to "put me in danger" and so I started wondering ... is there a risk for me just being in their company with the drug around?
Short answer is yes, but I bet you knew that deep down.

The question you should be asking yourself is why you're even considering "being in their company" when it's highly likely they're holding or under the influence. Just because you care for someone doesn't mean you should compromise yourself.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

is it safe to have a pet tiger in your house? maybe... until it gets bigger... and meaner... and stronger. Addiction is a force of nature. Its wild like a tiger.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If you are with them when they are arrested for any reason, you will be included and probably arrested too.

If they have drugs in your car, you could lose your car, or not be insured if you had an accident while they are with you.

If you have children, they could be taken away from you if you are known to associate with drug addicts and criminals.

If someone seeks them out for violence, and you are with them, you may get killed or hurt or become involved in something you don't want to be involved in.

I could add to this list, but I think "yes it's dangerous and you probably will get hurt" is the short answer.

My son messed with the wrong people years ago. To this day I don't do any social media like facebook or appear anywhere those people might find me. They know that hurting me would hurt my son, even though I haven't seen him for years the threat still remains.

Today I will not associate with anyone that I know is using drugs of any kind including pot which is a terrible drug too...but that's another story for another day.

Stay safe, take care of you and make yourself some clean friends. You will be happier in the end.

Hugs
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

being involoved with someone in active addiction is very dangerous. my son put us all in danger by having drug dealers come to my home looking for money, threatened my family poured paint on 2 cars and ultimately stabbed my son in my backyard. your friend will pull you into drama and chaos. if you are with this person and there is any involvement with illegal activities you run the risk of being pulled into very bad situations yourself.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've never heard the old adage, You are judged by the company you keep?