how do i cope?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do i cope?

my husband is currently in a inpatient long-term rhab facility for drugs and alcohol. He has been there since march 7th, 2011. it was voluntary and its a two year rehab facility. He will graduate once acheiving all requirements when the two years have come up. I am struggling severely with thoughts that if he changes for the better which thats all i want for him and our family, his love for me will change with the changes even if with me being there for him as much as they allow?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

2 year rehab? Wow I have never heard of that. Have you looked at alanon for support?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lauralynn
Welcome to SR.....you've found a great place for support for YOU for the next couple of years and beyond.

I have also found great support and comfort in Naranon/Alanon. One of the most important things I have learned in my program is that I am not able to tell the future and I'm not able to change the past. So spending much time worrying about the future or ruminating about the past is a waste of my precious life.

I'm sure it is very very hard having your husband in a (very) long term treatment program but how very lucky you are that he has this opportunity to change his life (if he chooses to do so)! This is also a wonderful opportunity for you (should you choose to look at it as such) to heal from the damage that loving an addict has caused you.

Those of us who love an addict often suffer right along with the addict and become as sick as they are, just in a different way. We need to heal from the fallout of their addiction. Naranon and Alanon and concentrating on myself are helping me heal.

Welcome......I'm glad you found us.

gentle hugs
ke