DS Made it to Florida REhab

Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy DS Made it to Florida REhab

What a trying day. I took DS to the airport, and he is terrified to fly, never did it before. Not to mention that he was high this morning, and on his way to rehab in Florida. I got a call a bit ago from the counselor there that they got him at the airport and he was on his way to Detox. He'll stay there for about 5 days he thinks. I asked if they detox with Suboxone but he wasn't sure. He did say that they wouldn't let him go cold turkey. I know this is going to be really rough week for him. Does anyone know the Detox drill? What will it be like for him and what exactly they will do for him/give him to aide in the discomfort.

I sent a card in his with a pic of my parents. Their death was the beginning of his downfall I believe, many years ago. We had talked awhile back about NA and Higher Power, and I had read and told him that it didn't have to just be God, it could be whatever he wished. I told him to think of Grandpa as his higher power. He like that idea.

Thanks for being here.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When my daughter went to rehab she was put on Suboxone so she basically did not have any withdrawal. They also gave her phenobarbitol to prevent seizures, trazadone to help her sleep. I know that when I went to family day at the rehab the counselors all said that the number of heroin and other opiate addicts who stayed at rehab had dramatically increased since they started using Suboxone. It really does help an addict who is ready to quit using to be able to focus on recovery and not be fiending for their drugs. Sending prayers that your son gets it this time. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like your son is in good hands! And you can rest tonight knowing that he is safe.

My son is in rehab for alcohol and he says the suboxone seems like a "miracle drug" for those who need it.

Good job getting through the day and hopefully brighter days are ahead!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am glad he got there. keep us posred on whats going on. we care. prayers,
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So I was probably silly to expect all was go so calm. At around 11:00pm, I got a call from the rehab. DS had been brought from the airport directly to a detox, and as luck would have it would not be at the hospital (he told me he did not want to be in a hospital..but the rehab did tell him he would be in a medical detox), but anyway, he ended up in a freestanding detox facility. The wonderful man at the rehab (he really seems to be an exceptional person), said that DS apparently was causing a rucus at the detox, that he wanted to leave, he'd go sit at the airport all night instead..so the counselor gave me the phone number of the detox to call him.
So I called. Fortunately I got a really nice nurse. At the time I called she said DS was out having a cigarette, and she said there were other patients and a tech out there, so she hoped that they would calm him down. She said what happened was that during his intake process,,even though he was getting nasty, they had another patient causing a scene, and I think that spooked him. But she had said that they legally could not keep him, unless he gave in and took the meds they had prescribed for him. She said they detox with Methadone, and she had an order for Valium, and most probably if he would take it, he would sleep. We talked for awhile, and she said she couldn't tell me what do to, but he needed to be there. He told her he used in the morning before he got on the plane (I knew this already), he was doing the nods..and he was loaded with track marks. I told her of course I wanted him to stay. So she said she'd wait til he came in and she would tell him she talked with me and that I said I wanted him to stay. I told her if he wanted to talk with me, than by all means let him call, which I was dreading would happen.
The hours ticked by, and each 15 minutes I took a breath relieved that he hadn't called. I then called back the rehab and the counselor talked with me for a bit, told me that the nurse told him DS was bad. Track marks everywhere...he kept me calm and told me he was keeping his cell by the bed, and that he wanted me to call him if I heard anything at all. Most importantly, was that if DS would just take the meds, then they had to legally keep him, and that's what we were shooting for last night. Just get through one night. Apparently DS thought he was going directly to the rehab, and although the counselor told him about being in a medical detox for a few days, I guess it didn't register.

So the nurse called me at 2:00am, that DS had given in. She said it wasn't easy, but everyone talked with him, patient's, staff...and he had given in and said he'd stay. WHEW........

I wonder if the knot that has found a home in my stomach, will ever go away? So I'm off to work, in an attempt to distract myself (yeah right)...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Sis,

Glad to hear your son made it through the first night. I'm struggling with making it through minutes right now, so I know how you feel. Good luck to you and I hope you can take some time now to work on you.

I've sent a prayer for you and your son.