Working from home?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working from home?

I had to quit my job and stay home because of medical reasons and also I am applying for social security disability. Does anyone here have a job they do at home? Im not talking about babysitting or anything. I was thinking internet based orsomething. I was hoping others here would have some ideas and how legitimate are some of the work from home internet business's?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just be careful because there are a lot of work at home scams out there. I have my disability hearing this month, and am currently enrolled full time in college, online classes.

I am hoping to do medical billing/coding from home after I graduate because of my disability.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
things as it is

I have been a web/graphic artist for over 15 years. Luckily, I get to do it at home, but it took a great deal of training and work to build it up. I still struggle horribly some months.

In all these years I have yet to come across someone who is making a decent living through some "work at home" offer.

You need to be trained is a field that has a valid need and is actively seeking to employ homeworkers, such as Freedom1990 is doing. The medical billing industry DOES hire home workers, it can be verified. So instead of experimenting with those making "offers", find industries and companies that actively employ at home workers and find out how to get training in that field.

Best of luck,
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree with above. Be careful of internet work at home jobs. Most are crapola no matter what they say. I know three women who do medical billing from home over the years but not sure how they hooked up with it. None are still in the area or I would ask for you. But don't send anyone money for information. Maybe ask hospitals about this but you also have to be trained in it. Mystery shoppers is another farce on line I used to do it for real and made good money on week ends doing it for extra cash. But it was through a company that is no longer down here in Florida either. Good luck to you.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

some time ago i called for Purple Heart scheduling pick-ups. I did this from home using my own phone.

My phone plan gave me 400 calls a month and I went way over that with the job. But because Purple Heart is a charity, the phone company re-imbursed me for those phone charges.

Because it's a charity, i did not have to pay taxes on that money.

I worked this job part-time. It was a good job at the time for the situation i was in. I did it for about 3 or 4 years.

So, if Purple Heart services your area, you might want to check that out.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A friend of mine worked for a company from home. (PM for info) It's customer service and you have to have a good internet connection and a phone (landline.)

She took orders for flower companies.

From what she told me, hours are very flexible.

No cost in training or materials either. You do have to pay $45 for a background check as you wil be handling credit card orders over the phone and they want to make sure you aren't in trouble for fraud or so forth. And it's not sales or pay per minute. It's hourly depending on how long you stay "on line" to wait for calls to come in.

Last edited by greeteachday; 09-06-2008 at 01:01 PM.