What are telltale signs of someone using opiates?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Our bodies produce endorphins which are natural opiates. When people have that upper effect it's because they're bodies have low levels of beta endorphins.

Opiate addicts stop producing natural opiates because the synthetic opiate has replaced it.
which is exactly why the first year in recovery, if not even more, is so emotionally unstable and fragile for an RA
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to offer my thoughts.

My sister and her boyfriend were addicted to opiates. For one, they were never on time anywhere, and when we did go somewhere, they would never stay very long OR they would "run to the gas station" to get a special drink (something specific like "craving a grape Propel) and be gone for way longer than it should have taken.

Physically - their eyes would move just a second slower than they should have. They were both skinny, though my sisters bf was like skin and bones skinny (when he hadn't been before). Their hands would shake. Also they would talk a lot more, especially my sister's boyfriend. My sister already talked a lot, but her boyfriend didn't - unless he was high. They also started getting into conspiracy theories and at one point we were eating lunch in my backyard that is kind of near an airport and a helicopter went over, and my sister mentioned that her bf thought the gov't was following him (as he nervously eyed the sky).

It took a long time and a lot of denial before our families banded together and asked them to get help, which they did. The road hasn't been totally smooth but they are getting back on track. I am sorry to anyone going through this - the hurt of seeing your loved one like that, I wouldn't wish on anyone.