My husband is addicted to Oxycontin

Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I'm chiming in late here but I know your story all to well. My husband is also addicted to oxy's, percs, vicoden, loracets.. the list goes on and on. He says that he has quit using and last week he was going through some bad withdrawels. He says he is feeling better this week, his body just feels weak. Do I believe him? God, I want too but there is still that pitt down in my stomach that tells me to not let my guard down. I don't trust him, pure and simple and it will be a loooooong time if ever if I ever get to the point where I completely trust him again.

I have to give my husband credit though, he has been going to meetings every single day, sometimes twice and I have seen a postive change in him so maybe he is indeed in recovery. Only time will tell and I'm staying out of his recovery because he is the only one that can get himself sober.

If you haven't already, get yourself into alanon or nararon. It has made a world of difference to me in the few weeks I have been going. I was telling my mother in law the other night that everyone should have to work a 12 step program reguardless of them being an addict or codie or not. It's just such a wonderful life changing program and it works.

Oh and by the way, I hate those pills too. I swear even if I have all of my teeth pulled out at one time I will not have those things in my house or in my possession. I will suffer through it narcotic free. This sounds crazy but everytime I hear of a major drug bust, especially a narcotic drug bust, I say a big Thank You to my H.P. Just means one less drug dealer on the street, helping someone screw up their life.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jerect - funny you should say that about teeth pulled! I did just have a tooth pulled yesterday - and guess what? NO PERSCRIPTION pain meds. Lots of novacaine - advil and arnica (a homeopathic remedy). I'm slow today, but that's because I can be - no one else in the office, but I'm up and about, with barely a chipmunk cheek!

I think after going through all this with AH, I will always do everything in my power to not have a perscription pain med, and if I need 1 or 2, that's all I want, not a whole bottle or script!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mine got a tooth pulled and got a script. ALL gone within a day or 2. Sad.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
11d

I feel the same about the drug bust too! After I found out my husband's addiction, I reported the dealers. Who knows if they did something about it. BUt it did make me feel better. One more dealer off the street. SOOOO many more to replace him. My only problem now, is my husband works with the stuff. And when he returns in 1 year, they will be placing it in his hands.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lord, I thought the lack of being able to keep an erection had something to do with me too! I hate those pills as well yet doctor's hand them out right and left! The nodding makes me crazy too. I sleep with a fire extinguisher next to my bed in case he dropped a cigerrette and it did more than burn holes in the carpet. I have ton's of burns.

I do have to say though that my AH just got out of detox again. He has a real medical problem which poses a problem as far a mobility and pain management goes. He is having surgery next week to try and releive some of the pain so he won't have to take the pills. I am somewhat optomistic but not entirely. I don't think I will ever trust him again. So many lies!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought there was something wrong with me because I had lost an interest in sex. It turns out that I had just lost an interest in having sex with a zombie.

We have been doing some serious spring cleaning around here. I moved the bed & found an old bottle of codeine that I had been prescribed after surgery. I know that he had no idea it was back there, because he would have taken it all. (It was an old script from 2003). It scared me so much seeing that bottle. I wondered what the heck would have happened if he had found the bottle. I hate those pills!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Unhappy worried

i recently found out that my brother, who i'm extremely close with is addicted to oxycontin and maybe even has turned to heroin. he's at a stage where he's extremely depressed and no one knows what to do anymore. i've been up many nights just constantly crying and worrying about him. he has been doing them for over a year and had hid it so well from everyone at work, and in his personal life. he met a girl who was helping him get them and giving him money to get them, you can all probably understand how much all of us in his family hate her. he has recently been lying and saying that he is clean and hasn't touched the stuff in weeks. we all know he's full of it. members of our family have set up counseling for him, three days a week, and found out he wasn't going to it, only to claim that he hasnt touched it and doesn't NEED the help, which we all know he does. he has a daughter who was born this past fall and sees her all the time, but i know the mother of her will soon stop letting him come around. he has these stages of depression where he says he has nothing left to live for, and i am praying that he would never act upon anything he says, or ever hurt himself. another thing is he is in thousands of dollars in debt, with his dealer and other people. he is being evicted from his apartment and is probably going to lose his job. does anyone know anything else to do? I'm so scared that I'll lose my brother. I dont know if there's anything I can say to him? or do? he's almost 30 and I'm 23 so it's not as if we have a weird age gap that might make things wierd, just looking for another way to try to get him help or make him
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ifri7:
could you start a new post for yourself, so people will read your story more easily? it might get buried in this longer thread from 2008 and i know many would love to respond to you and bring you in.

fleeting glimpse:
since you have all the answers, i guess you don't need a new post.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mis

I understand your worry, but remember how great it is that he took the first step and admitted he had a problem. There are two people in my life that I wish everyday could be better, my mom and my ex boyfriend (I'm pregnant by him but had to leave him). I wish they would at least admit they have a problem. I think thats the hardest part.

Sounds like things will get better.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome, My addict is my 17 year old son. You are getting a lot of great information so I am just here to give support and say #1 take care of you. Julie
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My husband is addicted to oxycontin. I'm not exactly sure how much he takes. He got started from my very own sister! (I didn't know that she used) He and she lied to me at the beginning and my sister lies to me to this very day. I don't even know if my husband wants to quit. He went to his doctor with some bogus story to get his own prescription but uses it all up way before the end of the month and spends hundreds of dollars filling in with pills bought from the street/his friends/coworkers. I want to tell everyone about this. I have this fantasy of outing him to his entire family- especially his mother. We have kids, so obviously I want to compensate and maintain a normal life but I carry a lot of anger toward him. He didn't get the addiction the way "normal" people do by actually needing painpills then becoming addicted. And the betrayal I feel by my own sister overshadows my sadness for her own addiction.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abundance View Post
The sex thing was huge for me too. Him not being in the mood or not being able to maintain an erection. I am a good looking woman, nice figure, eager in the bedroom and all that good stuff..... yet he couldn't reach climax or keep the erection. THAT totally messed with my head and made me feel inadequate.... and then I realized the truth, which was the Oxy's keeping him "down"...... and so then that became the next indicator of whether he was using or not. I couldn't get a break..... those Oxy's..... just ruin EVERYTHING!

How about those "nodding outs"......... I couldn't stand them! And then coming out of it when I acknowledge it .... and his pretending that it didn't happen. I so badly wanted to video him and show him what a fool he looked like! Especially in social situations! Friends coming up to me...... "What is he on?"

UGH!!!!!!!!!

Ladies......... seriously...... take Yoga.........!!!

WOW this is my life.. I just found out that my boyfriend of 2 years (been living together 6 months) is an addict.. now I knew when I got together with him that he had a problem in the past, but he lied to me and misled me to think it was just a part of his past.. until last week he was caught at a suboxone clinic by my family member who is also an addict.. he said he's been on suboxone 3 years but that makes no sense because for a while now I had my suspicions that he was using pills again (percocets/oxys) because mainly of the nodding out and the lost interest in sex. I have been told they are NOT side effects of suboxone use. If it's true that he's ONLY on suboxone, I can deal, but I hate that I was lied to. However, I do not believe for one second that he is only on suboxone. I'm pretty much lost now. A lot of stories on here are very similar. I feel like "what did I do to deserve this?"
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow, reading this thread makes me feel like I am not alone. There are so many out there that can relate!

I did not know my husband took narcotics until 6 months after we married. From there it went downhill. Some things that he has resorted to: drinking, yes drinking liquid pain medication prescribed to my 6 year old daughter after ear surgery, stealing Lortab out of my purse(I had car accident, rarely took them but on occasion would take one if my neck bothered me) and replaced it with Tylenol in the bottle, took my 14 yr old son to doc for hairline fracture in elbow and asked doc for pain meds for my son...of course he filled the script and took it all, called my doc saying I needed pain meds, of course I knew nothing about and in no way needed any, and she fired me as a patient. He has also came to the ER where I work (I am an RN) and caused a huge scene, threatening the staff/ doctor because "his wife works here, and everytime I come here I get Dilaudid". Oh my, the list could go on and on.....

The worst was the night he was arrested for DV. When they searched his truck he had 2 current prescriptions. He had taken 100 Percocet within 5 days and had taken way more Oxy's then he should have in the time frame. I wasn't even aware he was getting Oxy's. He also had 30+ empty pill bottles in his truck, some empty, some with meds in them, some in his name, some in other peoples names. And then a bumper sticker on his truck that said "Drug Free TN" Hahaha how ironic!

Whew just writing all that makes me so glad I am in the place I am now....free from that being around my kids and myself!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Actually I think the key part is that he admitted his problem, I too, am addicted to oxys and only a few ppl know of my addiction, except all of you of course. He is on step one of his recovery and he needs your support more than ever. Please have faith in him and the NA way and you will hopefully see that life it going to be so much better for your huband, and you
Old 04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My best friend uses oxy

My best friend who is in high school uses oxy along with alcohol and vicodin. Ive never known anyone personally who is a user and is addicted, does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

oxy's are pure evil...it's been said a billion times.
(this makes a billion and one)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by leogirl8597 View Post
My best friend who is in high school uses oxy along with alcohol and vicodin. Ive never known anyone personally who is a user and is addicted, does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?
Early intervention can make a difference. As a mother, I would really want to know.

If your friend stops, she will be grateful. If she doesn't, you are going to lose her anyway.

Jmho

Sorry that you have been put in such a difficult situation. Is there a pastor or guidance counselor ( or even your patents ) you trust to talk about this with?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Dear Ones,

This thread is really old!
Shall we start a new one?

Leogirl, Welcome to SR. Sorry for the circumstances that bring you here but glad you found us.

Peace and Love,
Hanna