Step Study - Step 1

Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My meeting last night was on Step 1. I shared again that I am constantly on Step 1 - every day I am presented with yet more things over which I am totally powerless. One of my friends read notes that she had written in her book on Step 1 - she said she learned she was powerless over nouns and pronouns: People, places, things and situations.Others have said the same thing here previously, but it's always a good reminder.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

By the way, I just realized that we moved the more current step study over here: Friends and Family Step Study - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It's where each step is listed separately, with detailed step questions for each one and the opportunity to jump in and comment on whichever step applies to you at any given moment.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

From a Buddhist point of view, letting things be allows them to become what they are, instead of what we want them to be.
Thank you Spiritual Seeker. I just recently started reading on Buddhism.
It is not my job to anyone from what they are.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

just came to the realization today for step 1. I am powerless. I have always been the one in control of everything in my life until now. Including hiding my husbands addition from the world. We are just a perfect family. JE my husband has been a roller coaster through addition for the last 3 years. I have tried and tried to keep things together for my children. When all three came to me last night , crying , afraid, scared and angry I realized there was absolutely nothing I could do to change JE's behavior. It is up to him not me. When the kids left for school I fell to me knees and cried like a baby. I called out to my God and realized it was in his hands not mine. Every emotion was let out to Him. I am powerless against this but I feel as though a thousands weights have been lifted off my chest.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow, I have very rarely seen someone be so brutally honest about themselves, and I found myself nodding right along as I read it - yep, I do that. Yep. Yep. Thank you for your courage and honesty.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just came to SR today and I'm so glad to have found this thread about the 12 Step Study. Thank you! Gonna be so great to help me stay focused. Just started going to Al Anon two weeks ago and need all the loving support I can get.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1 for me. Last night I watched our wedding ceremony and cried and screamed and released my pain to accept that eventhough in the 9 years I tried to control this, I have NO control. None. Zero.
And I still try to control, even when I KNOW I can't. But today, I will keep telling myself it's time to let go, that life is a big mess and I am completely powerless over his choices.
I am completely friggin powerless and I keep taking deep breaths to release that urge to try again. To try and fix it one more time.
I will keep staying on Day 1 and Step 1 and keep repeating this step until I feel I have broken my own chains of codependency. I am not there yet... I have my own deamons to fight.