Owning Our Power

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Owning Our Power

Friday, July 26, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Owning Our Power

Don't you see? We do not have to be so victimized by life, by people, by situations, by work, by our friends, by our love relationships, by our family, by our feelings, our thoughts, our circumstances, and ourselves.

We are not victims. We do not have to be victims. That is the whole point!

Yes, admitting and accepting powerlessness is important. But that is the first step, an introduction to this business of recovery. Later, comes owning our power. Changing what we can. This is as important as admitting and accepting powerlessness. And there is so much we can change.

We can own our power, wherever we are, wherever we go, whomever we are with. We do not have to stand there with our hands tied, groveling helplessly, submitting to whatever comes along. There are things we can do. We can speak up. Solve the problem. Use the problem to motivate ourselves to do something good for ourselves.

We can make ourselves feel good. We can walk away. We can come back on our terms. We can stand up for ourselves. We can refuse to let others control and manipulate us.

We can do what we need to do to take care of our selves. That is the beauty, the reward, the crown of victory we are given in this process called recovery. It is what it is all about!

If we can't do anything about the circumstance, we can change our attitude. We can do the work within: courageously face our issues so we are not victimized. We have been given a miraculous key to life.

We are victims no more unless we want to be.

Freedom and joy are ours for the taking, for the feeling, for the hard work we have done.

Today, I will remind myself as often as necessary that I am not a victim, and I do not need to be victimized by whatever comes my way. I will work hard to remove myself as a victim, whether that means setting and enforcing a boundary, walking away, dealing with my feelings, or giving myself what I need. God, help me let go of my need to feel victimized.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We can do what we need to do to take care of our selves. That is the beauty, the reward, the crown of victory we are given in this process called recovery. It is what it is all about!

If we can't do anything about the circumstance, we can change our attitude. We can do the work within: courageously face our issues so we are not victimized. We have been given a miraculous key to life.
Darn you, LMN, you've been peeking in my window again. I just finished posting the attitude thing on another thread in another forum.

Maybe great minds DO think alike:

When I stopped trying to have power over others (which was only an illusion when I thought I did) and took back my own power and life and my own choices, no matter what others thought of them....I finally became "me", and I love the "me" I have become because she is free and she no longer is afraid to stand for her principles, even when she stands alone!

Hugs and thanks for the reminder LMN...but please know, I shall be pulling my shades from now on.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

God is awesome, isn't HE?

P.S. Shades, shmades, nothing can stop this Codie.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know that I could have just punched the thanks button...oh, probably did. This hit me today and it was just what I needed. I know that I have some recovery because it makes so much more sense to me than ever before. God is good. I am grateful. Shared it with hubby.