Court Ordered Rehab?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Court Ordered Rehab?

So the best possible thing just happend. My Ex's mother called me and we had a long conversation. I finally told her how bad it has really gotten because she asked me. He went home last week and she noticed how skinny he had gotten. I told her that at first he smoked pot then it was alocohol now its cocaine and various presciption drugs. I didnt tell her that he was a drug dealer, she is so sweet and loves him so much I dont think she could handle it. His father is calling me tomorrow and I will tell him, but I just didnt have the heart to tell his mother that part. I took a few Criminal Justice courses in college, but we never went over court orders. So I was just wondering if there is any way for his parents to obtain a court order for him to go to rehab, even though he is 20. His mother asked me, but I have no idea. He has been in trouble with the law before. I didn't know if that would help get one, if its possible?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Once 18 you are an adult and no one can force you into rehab and if you choose to go no one can make you stay.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Even if she could make him go, if he isn't ready and doesn't have the willingness, it would probably be futile.

My prayers go out for his mother, she's going to learn some things no mother should ever have to know and it's going to break her heart. And prayers for her son, that he finds a better path all on his own.

Hugs
Old 05-26-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers to you and your family. it's so difficult to admit we are powerless over this disease. blessings, k
Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

call your county probate office and check with them on court ordered rehab......here in my state it is an option ........maybe it is in yours too
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi AshleyLee,
There is also the option of doing an 'intervention'. There are people who specialize in these and it may be worth a try.
best to you,
Leslie
Old 05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If he poses a threat to himself or someone else, then he can be held for 3 days or longer in a detox facility in the state of texas. i once heard a story of a man who actually lied to authorities to manipulate the system just to get his son into treatment. it worked.

It's true though that if they don't have the will, even once sober (detoxed) the chance of early relapse is greater. My XAH agreed to go to rehab for an undetermined amount of time (usually 30 days), but in retrospect I see that he was more concerned about "doing his time" in there, instead of actually learning how to stick to a plan that works once he was out. He relapsed about 2 weeks after being out. We are now divorced and he's sank deeper into pain pills.

Also he's under a court order that states his ex wife can demand a drug test before or after he has visitation with his 2 girls. That whole idea is a JOKE. They know all the tricks to getting a clean test. The system really doesn't do anything but create a minor obstacle for the addict. They are experts at manipulation.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ebv

I just checked on this, in iowa to get a court commital you have to prove that he is a danger to himself or others, if he goes to rehab he'll stay 2 weeks if he listens to them, if not it's 30 days, if you think he needs more time tell the judge he needs long term care. I'm going threw this myself right now.
Good luck, we both need it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots of great info...any info on HOW to do this?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AshleyLee,
You absolutely can get a court order. My son is 22. Last year, I had him Marchman Acted. This is the same thing as a Baker Act, but for drug/alcohol problems. You can get the package at your local courthouse. Have other family members or friends who can testify to the addicts behavior, write letters to the judge. Fill out the forms and attach the letters to the package, file with the court. They will set a hearing for the addict to go in front of the judge. You will be there as well as anyone else who wants to testify that the addict needs help. The judge will court order the addict into a rehab program. If the addict leaves, he/she will be arrested.

But with all of that, I agree that if the addict is not ready to stop, this is all moot. My son did great in the rehab, but the minute he got out, he scored. He told me he was not ready to quit at the time. He is now putting himself in rehab because he tells me now he is ready.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Forgot to tell you that my son got 60 days in rehab, followed by 4 months in a 1/2 way house.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought you broke up with this guy 6 months ago and here you are "breaking the news" to the family. What's up with this?

Court ordered and paid for rehab varies by state. In most states, this may be an alternative to prison, upon being convicted of a crime.

I am not reading that this ex is seeking recovery. Have you considered giving him the dignity to decide this, for himself?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpformyson View Post
You absolutely can get a court order. My son is 22. Last year, I had him Marchman Acted. This is the same thing as a Baker Act, but for drug/alcohol problems. You can get the package at your local courthouse.
Good luck
This may be true in Florida. Not necessarily so, in all other states, including my own.