Plausible Deniability--The Fine Art of Fooling Yourself

Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Plausible Deniability--The Fine Art of Fooling Yourself

More from the Survivor's Guide to an Alcoholic Relationship (can you tell I'm really digging this e-book?):

Of all the known traits of human nature, one in particular stands out as the most pervasive and one of the most dangerous: Denial.

To one extent or another, every person on this planet suffers from denial in one form or another. Right now, you are almost certainly suffering from denial in some form concerning your alcoholic relationship. Some people in alcoholic relationships are in less denial than others, but the fact remains that the biggest obstacle by far to the alcoholic’s recovery and especially to (the co-dependent's recovery) is denial.

Never underestimate the human capacity for denial. We humans are uniquely capable of fooling ourselves. In fact, some almost make it an art. Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary defines “denial” as “a psychological defense mechanism in which confrontation with a personal problem or with reality is avoided by denying the existence of the problem or reality.” Notice some real-world variations on this definition:
  • Denial is the mental ability to block knowledge you don’t want to face.
  • Denial is a defense mechanism to avoid responsibility by rejecting reality.
  • Denial is a way to live with oneself while living a lie.
  • Denial is lying to oneself to avoid doing or believing something painful or uncomfortable.
  • Denial is lying to oneself about a painful reality in order to avoid making difficult decisions and taking appropriate responsibility.
  • Denial is resistance to change.
  • Denial is the mind's attempt to rationalize painful realities.
Do any of these definitions hit home with you?

In order to better understand traits and issues such as denial on a fundamental level, I endeavor to break them down to their base form. It’s like peeling the layers of an onion away until you arrive at its core. With this approach in mind, here is my definition of denial:

Denial is a subconscious coping and defense mechanism that provides a person with a psychologically bearable method to:
  • Avoid making difficult life-changes by rationalizing and/or rejecting a painful reality
  • Living with oneself while living a lie.

In short, denial means, "lying to oneself to evade responsibility." When we engage in denial it means that we either should or should not do a particular thing, and we proceed to rationalize and justify (fool ourselves) the reasons for either doing or not doing it. When we rationalize, we lie to ourselves. When we do or don’t do something we ought to do or not do, we evade responsibility. Therefore, at the core, denial means lying to oneself to evade responsibility.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I really think this thread should be a sticky....great stuff!

I love this...
When we rationalize, we lie to ourselves. When we do or don’t do something we ought to do or not do, we evade responsibility. Therefore, at the core, denial means lying to oneself to evade responsibility.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979
I really think this thread should be a sticky....great stuff!...
Feel free to add the book to the list of resources so everybody can see it. If you _really_ like it send the link from Amazon over to the management and they can add it to the book list, that way it's easy for people to see it _and_ SR gets a little bit of cash to help pay the bills.

Mike
Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I stumbled onto this a while back thanks to a thoughtful minnie post. Another valuable tool for my recovery tool box... an unbiased tool box that is...thanks to something I heard and will value for the rest of my life... Take what you want and leave the rest.