The pleasant alcoholic

Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The pleasant alcoholic

So, I've been reading the forums here off and on for quite some time but this is my first post. I guess I never felt the need to post because I could see parts of my story in lots of the others and I've gained a LOT of knowledge and insight just reading the posts and stickies (some stickies I've read several times). My AH also has a problem with marijuana. I would say (and he has also said) that this is his biggest problem. The alcohol just goes hand in hand. We've been married 18 years and he's always smoked pot and drank but when you are younger, lots of us did that, he just never tapered as he got older and responsibilities came along. His first shot at becoming sober was about 5 years ago. It didn't stick and he went back to drinking for a year. Tried again and made it a week then made it for 2 years. Was going to AA and working the program and was involved with a lot of guys who called him daily. When we moved 2 hours from there and he tried to find other groups, those calls from others slowed quite a bit until the point that he fell off the wagon stating there were just no meetings around. Obviously this isn't true. Unfortunately unless he has a very involved sponsor or someone forcing him to do things, he just doesn't follow through. He expects it to fall into his lap. He even asked me at one point to call the AA chapter near us and see if they could come to him....? In any case, when he has quit before most of the time he is completely miserable and impossible to be around. Angry all the time and picking fights. I know he doesn't know how to be sober and it won't happen overnight but he seems to expect it to and has zero patience. I read on here where someone asked another person how their relationship was besides the drinking. I had never really thought of that before because the drinking and smoking has been such a focus. Truth be told, he is typically very happy and pleasant to be around, very loving also. The worst that happens is he may fall asleep on the couch early. While that's annoying, I can't help but see that he really isn't like some other alcoholics who get verbally and physically abusive and he has drank and smoked for years. Yes, I know this typically gets worse but I'm not really unhappy right now. There are two things that bother me: knowing he is causing lasting problems to his body and health and the fact that I know he drives when he's been drinking and even has pot in his car sometimes. That chance he is taking I just cannot shake. To think he knows it would be financially detrimental to us and he could hurt someone else and he doesn't seem to care. Part of me thinks that until something major happens to him like a dui, he sees himself as untouchable. He has said on many occasions when he was attending AA that he isn't as bad as "all these other people". They've all lost their jobs, homes, wives etc... I suppose as long as he can keep this so called higher ground he will remain right where he is. So, while I say I am not unhappy, I do feel sometimes like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JLynn80, I just noticed the this is your first post.

Thank you for posting, and sharing your experience. I was so moved by your post that I actually started another one off it, because I didn't want to hijack this one.

Please stick around and keep reading. There is a ton of wisdom here.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Solo Mio- Thanks, I appreciate that. I didn't realize it was quite so long, sorry about that. Funny when you start typing it all just comes out!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It didn't seem long reading it! I related to it, so it was easy reading for me!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He has said on many occasions when he was attending AA that he isn't as bad as "all these other people".
We kinda do the same thing. When I got here, I felt like, yeah....my relationship isn't this bad. We are not like everyone else here, AT ALL.

And one by one....WE proved me wrong.

So, I think you can absolutely trust your gut in waiting for the other shoe to drop. You are, and it will, unless he decides to change it.

I also know that in the beginning I was pretty good at minimizing the damage my x's drinking was doing. In the beginning, he wasn't mean to me...he was happy go lucky when drinking, and hey - he didn't even drive drunk. We liked to get out and have fun camping, fishing, and working on the house together.

However....the things I glossed over for myself were (because some things seemed really good):

The forgotten conversations here and there that I thought were so meaningful.
The fact that the showers of affection, attention and love being said and done under the influence kinda just felt unauthentic.
The smell.
The times he didn't want to do family things because he wanted to drink instead.
The botched home projects because of being under the influence.

Heavy drinking bleeds onto everything. He might be this type of functional for a long time, but when it starts to spiral, its often hard and fast.

Hang in there, I am glad you are here - keep reading! It helps!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

JLynn....what is your plan for when the other shoe drops?
Have you ever talked to him, honestly about it?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dandylion- yes, we have talked about it many times. His response is not always the same. Sometimes he denies there is much wrong and other times he says that he knows it's out of control and asks if I could just stick by him while he figures it out. Thing is, he knows what he needs to do, it's just easier not to do it. Just like I should have probably moved on with my life by now but haven't. I'd like to think if I didn't have 2 kids still in school it would be easier for me to make a plan but that's hard to say. All I know is they are my priority and everything I do and will do will be to keep a stable home for them. We have moved several times during their lives because he always thought a new place could lead to sobriety. Unfortunately, no matter where we go, we take ourselves with us.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, JLynn. Welcome to SR.
As the adult chld of an alcoholic, I can tell you that living with an alcohol addicted person is not providing a stable home for the kids, though it may seem so.
There is so much dysfunction playing out in alcohol affected households, and there are ramifications for the kids that can affect them for years.
I know this.
Am I saying you should leave?
Nope.
Only you know when or if to pull that ripcord.
I am saying that, by its nature, alcohol addiction affects everyone in the family.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I should have elaborated a bit....that stable home may just be me and my kids. They come first. I will do what I can to keep them in the same school and not move them again from their friends and familiar surroundings as this has taken its toll over the years. We are staying put whether I can stay in the house or have to find something in our town that is more modest.
I had to read Firebolts response again as some of it sounds like I could have written it. Especially about him not remembering what I considered meaningful conversations. Sometimes I would think I was loosing my mind.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Normally, I would say let him call his local AA office himself, but since he did ASK and expressed willingness to talk to someone, I'd suggest asking if he's still willing to talk with someone from AA, and yes, they actually WILL send a couple of guys over to talk with him. People IN AA--recovered alcoholics--can often get through in a way others cannot.

So I'd make that one call, if I were you, and let them talk to him. Couldn't hurt, might help.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexi- I may just ask him that tonight. He was sober for almost a month again until about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Now he just seems happy as a clam to be doing his thing again and hasn't spoken a word of AA or recovery. It's like the big elephant in the room. Those several weeks he was sober he had no sponsor and did nothing outside of the meetings. Although he always hated when people said "don't drink and go to meetings " cause he said that doesn't work if it's all you do. Thanks for your input and I'll share how it goes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Normally, I would say let him call his local AA office himself, but since he did ASK and expressed willingness to talk to someone, I'd suggest asking if he's still willing to talk with someone from AA, and yes, they actually WILL send a couple of guys over to talk with him. People IN AA--recovered alcoholics--can often get through in a way others cannot.

So I'd make that one call, if I were you, and let them talk to him. Couldn't hurt, might help.
Well, I brought this up to him over the weekend, and at a time where he seemed to be in a receptive and happy mood. He said that he remembers saying that but he can see now that AA just doesn't work for him. And why would he go back knowing it won't stick. I know I've heard folks say that AA isn't for everyone but what other organized options are there? I've seen a couple but the meetings are very scant. And, I see that the further away he gets from the time he was sober, it's hard for him to remember how much better he felt. He has talked to me on numerous occasions about his issues growing up and has said he needs to finally talk to someone and get it off his chest so he can move on but he doesn't do it. He has also told me he drinks and smokes to stop the thoughts of it all in his head. That said, I can't make him go to a therapist although it could be the best thing for him. Nothing I can really do right now. For him anyway, for me...there's always options. 😕
Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, there ya go. You tried. He has to come to his own conclusions about what, if anything, he's going to do about his drinking. Lots of people use the "it doesn't work for me" excuse until they are desperate enough to take it seriously. Finding an "alternative" program isn't likely to be the answer. If he finds one on his own that grabs him, more power to him, but I wouldn't be out there researching it for him.

And I like your attitude--Yes, YOU have options. He does too, but you are only responsible for your own.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, there ya go. You tried. He has to come to his own conclusions about what, if anything, he's going to do about his drinking. Lots of people use the "it doesn't work for me" excuse until they are desperate enough to take it seriously. Finding an "alternative" program isn't likely to be the answer. If he finds one on his own that grabs him, more power to him, but I wouldn't be out there researching it for him.

And I like your attitude--Yes, YOU have options. He does too, but you are only responsible for your own.
YES, exactly that Lexie, when he gets desperate enough again, he will likely change his views on AA. Right now he seems to think all is fine but went it ramps up again as it will, he will get to that point. Thank you for your reply!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just wanted to lend you my support.

My story mirrors yours in many ways. My AXH was usually a happy drunk, on rare occasions a sad drunk, but never angry or scary. He held a job, engaged with our family, and tried to enjoy his life. Like you said though.. there were forgotten conversations, almost every project that got started in the home or yard was incomplete or not done right, and occasionally he would have to ask me if he "was an a****** last night?" because he'd find me on the couch in the morning instead of our bed. (I could not stand the smell, the snoring or his restless legs in bed when he'd been drinking to excess.)

My XAH drank and drove from the time he was a teenager, didn't get caught by the police until he was 41. Of course he promised it would never happen again because he would never drink again, he went to AA for a few months and the first time I had to go out of town for work he got drunk. I could hear it in his voice on the phone. Of course he denied it. He was an A class liar when it came to lying about drinking. Eventually it destroyed my trust in him. He also continued to drink and drive despite ALL the consequences that could have held for him AND our family...not to mention the innocent people he could hurt!

By the end, I was living in a constant state of anxiety. Always scared, angry and/or sad. It was a miserable existence , always waiting for that other shoe to drop. He got very emotionally manipulative with me, threatening suicide a few times... that pretty much pushed me off what was left of the rocker I was on.

22 years of marriage ( 26 together, actually, yesterday would have been our 25th wedding anniversary) 2 kids, a comfortable home with pets, toys and nice vehicles to drive.... and I called it quits. He promised the only promise he would ever keep was that he would lie to me forever to feed his demons. I believed him and decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life with a spouse I couldn't trust or who didn't care about how his irresponsible actions could damage MY life.

It wasn't easy for me to end my marriage, but it was worth it. I learned I could love him from a distance. I will always have love in my heart for the father of my children, but we are not compatible any more. We've both found new partners, he has a drinking buddy again in his new woman and I have a man I can trust,who enjoys the same activities I do, AND have intelligent conversations with.

Wishing you strength and peace while you navigate all this stuff.

*hugs*
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JLynn80 View Post
He has also told me he drinks and smokes to stop the thoughts of it all in his head.
I'm no expert on addiction, but I'm pretty sure this is why most addicts do what they do. Painful thoughts drive addiction. This is why having a comprehensive program like AA or a recovery center is so important. The whole way that a person thinks needs to change and that doesn't happen here and there, once a week or whenever the mood strikes. It almost has to become the new "addiction." A lifetime of painful thoughts that separate the person from his spirit are not changed by a half-hearted approach.

The A in my life also isn't into AA and the more I participate in Al-Anon, the more clearly I realize for myself that a relationship without both partners' full and present spirits is just not going to be a good relationship. Yes, I can detach with love and let him live his life (which I've been doing for a few months,) but unless he gets into a full recovery program in which he does a major overhaul on his lifetime thinking patterns and connects with his inner spirit/higher power, I am going to have little to connect with him on. People orbit up together to have a relationship and for me, I want most of those places to be positive.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the importance of a recovery program and without it, there's not much of a platform for a good relationship because it takes two who are coming from a good place. One partner can't be the positive influence for the other who is thinking in a lot of negative ways - that just does not hold up for very long before the "positive" partner gets pulled into negative territory or decides to leave the orbit.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Did you talk to him and say that some people see a counselor who specialize in addiction instead of AA, or coupled w/AA. It is true that AA is not for everyone, however, denial is powerful and he may just be there.

For myself, I went to a counselor who specialized in helping families w/addiction for myself, coupled with Celebrate Recovery, which is a lot like Alanon, but a little different. Both of those things helped me immensely, as does coming here to SR.

Hugs to you.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd encourage you to consider that he is an addict. Please don't get bogged down in the weed vs. alcohol thing. He has one problem-- addiction. There is a great deal of controversy in the community about "if somebody stops drinking but still smokes weed are they sober?"-- there's no point in getting involved in it right now. If he finds sobriety from alcohol then see what's next-- you are very far from that bridge so please consider waiting to get to it before figuring out how to cross it.

I know many, many, many alcoholics in recovery as I've been going to meetings with them for 14 years, and here is what they agree about regarding the use of marijuana-- nothing (medically or recreationally).

Here is what they agree about regarding alcohol-- everything.

Take care and good luck.

Cyranoak
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'd like to add....When someone else's behavior is negatively affecting your life it IS a problem. It doesn't matter if it is an addiction or not. What matters is that your happiness, peace and health are being affected. This is important!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I just wanted to lend you my support.

My story mirrors yours in many ways. My AXH was usually a happy drunk, on rare occasions a sad drunk, but never angry or scary. He held a job, engaged with our family, and tried to enjoy his life. Like you said though.. there were forgotten conversations, almost every project that got started in the home or yard was incomplete or not done right, and occasionally he would have to ask me if he "was an a****** last night?" because he'd find me on the couch in the morning instead of our bed. (I could not stand the smell, the snoring or his restless legs in bed when he'd been drinking to excess.)

My XAH drank and drove from the time he was a teenager, didn't get caught by the police until he was 41. Of course he promised it would never happen again because he would never drink again, he went to AA for a few months and the first time I had to go out of town for work he got drunk. I could hear it in his voice on the phone. Of course he denied it. He was an A class liar when it came to lying about drinking. Eventually it destroyed my trust in him. He also continued to drink and drive despite ALL the consequences that could have held for him AND our family...not to mention the innocent people he could hurt!

By the end, I was living in a constant state of anxiety. Always scared, angry and/or sad. It was a miserable existence , always waiting for that other shoe to drop. He got very emotionally manipulative with me, threatening suicide a few times... that pretty much pushed me off what was left of the rocker I was on.

22 years of marriage ( 26 together, actually, yesterday would have been our 25th wedding anniversary) 2 kids, a comfortable home with pets, toys and nice vehicles to drive.... and I called it quits. He promised the only promise he would ever keep was that he would lie to me forever to feed his demons. I believed him and decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life with a spouse I couldn't trust or who didn't care about how his irresponsible actions could damage MY life.

It wasn't easy for me to end my marriage, but it was worth it. I learned I could love him from a distance. I will always have love in my heart for the father of my children, but we are not compatible any more. We've both found new partners, he has a drinking buddy again in his new woman and I have a man I can trust,who enjoys the same activities I do, AND have intelligent conversations with.

Wishing you strength and peace while you navigate all this stuff.

*hugs*
Yes, I could have written your post myself. Whether they do it intentionally to hurt us or not, the end result is the same, we are left feeling used. Not a care is given to how their behavior affects others and that is something that I just will never get. Thanks for your input.