Devastated

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Devastated

Hi all,

I am very thankful for this community and have been reading posts here for several weeks.

I am finally posting because yesterday my biggest and ultimate fear came true; my fiancé drank herself to death.

I am having a flood of emotions and especially guilt as I kicked her out of our family home which then resulted in the 10-day bender that took her life.

I know I didn't cause it, can't cure it, and can't control it. That does not stop the co-dependent in me from feeling guilty and responsible.

Everyone in our lives has told me I've done the right thing, but truthfully I don't think they understand what I'm feeling.

I'm reaching out now to find out how any of you have coped with this tragic and terrible situation.

I know as a rule people don't offer advice, but I am open to any suggestions to relieve my guilt without turning to alcohol myself.

Thank you for reading
Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My friend, I am so sorry for what you are going through, and I am so grateful you have reached out here for support.

You already know that there is nothing that turning to alcohol can do for you except make everything exponentially worse.

This is terribly fresh, so of course your emotions are in over-drive right now. Grief is extremely powerful. As painful as it sounds, time is what will relieve your guilt. You can feel whatever you are feeling without having to act upon it. In time you will come to believe, and not just "know", that your fiancee's choices were hers to make. There are so many other paths she could have chosen, and there is nothing you could have done or said to force her to take one over another.

Sending you strength, courage, and patience to allow time to help you heal from this.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

If only we had the power to change our loved ones, but alas we don't.

Prayers for strength and clarity, and may you find peace.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Grief is extremely powerful. As painful as it sounds, time is what will relieve your guilt. You can feel whatever you are feeling without having to act upon it. In time you will come to believe, and not just "know", that your fiancee's choices were hers to make. There are so many other paths she could have chosen, and there is nothing you could have done or said to force her to take one over another.

Sending you strength, courage, and patience to allow time to help you heal from this.
Thank you. This is very new ground for me. I've never been an overly emotional person. In fact, many people in my life are stunned to see my crying and heartbroken.

I feel immense grief and guilt but also a sense of how much I truly want to live.

I know will ease my suffering, but I'm just not that patient. I will need to learn patience with myself

Last edited by DesertEyes; 04-19-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HG, I am so very sorry for your loss. There are no words to take that pain away but just know that you are not alone. You have all of our support here. Logically, you know that nothing you did or didn't do could have changed things, but I'm praying that emotionally, you will come to believe this as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartbrokenGuy View Post
I know will ease my suffering, but I'm just not that patient. I will need to learn patience with myself
The thing with emotions is, they don't go away just because we've stuffed them down or numbed them temporarily because we are afraid they will be too much to bear. They just wait, and then tend to explode out at inappropriate times in inappropriate ways. It's much healthier to allow them to be felt while they are happening than to try and avoid them.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, addiction is so painful for everyone within arms reach.

Please take good care of and be gentle with yourself. Grief is a process, and there is no time limit on it. Big hugs to you, and prayers of peace to you and her family.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Praying for peace and comfort to you! I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very apparent you loved her very much and I'm sure she knew it. Addiction sucks so bad. She is now in peace and will no longer have to battle this horrible disease.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HeartbrokenGuy......I am so sorry for this tragic event and for your suffering.....
The same thing could have happened, had she continued to live with you..
There are lots of people who continue to live with their alcoholic, who this has/is happening to...
The decision to recover has to come from within the person (as I am sure that you, intellectually, know)....and, for some that never comes about....
Something that you never had any control over.....

Try to resist beating yourself up over this...blame the disease...hate the disease....not yourself....

You need some face to face support (in addition to coming here). That is vital in the grieving process...and, naturally, you are going to be grieving for a while...
There are grief support groups, just about everywhere, anymore...
This is a place where everybody is in the same shoes and you would be understood, there, beyond mere words...I highly encourage you to find one to ease your suffering and transition.....
Grief is a time when compassionate human contact is vital....
You are. also, free to come here and ventilate about this whole experience, any time you need to....as there are lots of others who are and have been in your same shoes...

I am so sorry for your pain.....
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for comfort during this awful time.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so very sorry. I can only imagine the grief and feelings of guilt you must be experiencing.

Please rest assured that staying with her would not have saved her. And I know you know that, logically, but it's still very hard not to feel responsible. I think family members of suicide victims feel very much the same.

I hope you will reach out for any support you can find at this time. Al-Anon, a therapist, a grief support group--whatever you need.

Many hugs and prayers for you both and for her family.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hugs to you. Never easy losing someone you love and this dam*** disease is a true life-wrecker. Sending positive energy to you.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My deepest sympathy on your loss. What a shame, and what a waste of a life...but as others have said, please, please realize there was nothing you could do to change the course of events.

I hope you'll continue to read and post here, and I hope you find some comfort and healing as time passes.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Prayers to you. I hope you can find comfort in the people around you. Please be gentle with yourself.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartbrokenGuy View Post
I feel immense grief and guilt but also a sense of how much I truly want to live.
This right here ^^ is what will keep you somewhat grounded.

My only experience with this is losing a friend to an overdose and even though we weren't super-close, it was still emotionally overwhelming for a very long time. Heck, it's STILL overwhelming when I think about it and it's been about 18 months already; go easy on yourself. (((((Hugs)))))
Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My deepest sympathies, Heartbroken. May she rest in peace.

I cannot even imagine what you are going through but I do know, that we alone, are responsible for our own actions. My drinking has never been anyone else's fault or their responsibility. It was mine alone.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so very, very sorry, Heartbrokenguy.

No one could stop my drinking. The responsibility was all mine.

May you find peace.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. Just trying to imagine your situation has brought tears to my eyes. Courage.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support.

My grief ebbs and flows as I try to reconcile what I know intellectually (3C's, No one stops the alcoholic but the alcoholic, etc.) with what I'm feeling emotionally (responsibility, guilt, anger, frustration, a need to know why it had to happen this way)

I could no longer accept her behavior as I felt like I was drowning. I never wished for this to happen. I can't help shake the guilt. At least not yet.

I went to an Al-anon meeting. It was probably my current mindset and situation, however, I felt it completely unhelpful.

I am going to a counseling appointment this afternoon and am hopeful that brings some relief.

Thank you all for reading

Thank you all for allowing me to vent.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss.