Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Going on 2 long motorcycle rides this weekend with 2 different groups. Have an old buddy in town that's camping so I'm running out to visit and have dinner with him and his kids. Ill be pug-sitting 2 of my friends pugs for the next 10 days and will need to get them and my corgi some exercise at some point, annd, have a couple things to fix on my bike before I drop it off at the shop Monday for fork seals. So, buy weekend, but all fun stuff.

Happy weekend guys!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

firebolt, the idea of 2 pugs and a corgi is one that fills my heart with infinite gratitude and joy indeed! What a silly trio of dogs that will be, for sure.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Oh and Honeypig, they just love each other. I uploaded a video of them frisbee-ing. I removed the sound because i'm just yelling"drop it!!" over and over lol. But the sounds they all make in this fight trifecta are hysterical!

https://youtu.be/62Ihfmj5s1g
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, too dang cute! You should put the sound back in.

BTW, not to trigger anyone, but Fluevog is having annual SALE right now. I bought one pair of Exenes in black (already have the red).

I figure shoe therapy may not CURE cancer, but it couldn't hoit.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

bah, I saw that Lexi! I've had my eyes on a pair of prepare Guides. LUCKILY, the color I want is not on sale! Oh the Cosmos are pretty great too.

And I agree - shoe therapy can't hurt anything!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

firebolt, THANKS for the video of those silly creatures! I adore your corgi--they are such funny, sturdy, determined little guys. I don't know that I've ever seen one at a shelter, or I'd probably have had to take him home.

The tech woman at my medical transcription job was a corgi lover, had had only corgis for many years. Until I visited her house, I'd never met one in person. Until then, I didn't realize they were herding dogs, but once I'd seen them in action, it made sense!

And pugs--what can you say about pugs that their appearance doesn't already say? When I drove for the handicapped van place, there was one woman who had 3 pugs, 2 of the light-colored ones and a black one. They'd be swarming around her wheelchair when I went to pick her up, and when I brought her back, OMG, they would be BESIDE themselves w/joy, all 3 of them trying to jump into her lap at once! And a pug named Wilbur lives in the subdivision south of me, too.

Speaking of that driving job, it reminds me of another dog and his people. He was a Chinese crested, and they look like this:

The long hair is really the ONLY hair they have; the rest of them is just skin. Now, such a dog would freeze to death at my house in the winter, but just like they say there is someone for everyone, there is a dog for everyone, too. This dog belonged to a couple who had been in a car crash that left both of them in electric wheelchairs but able to live mostly independently. Cleaning obviously was more of a chore for them, so a dog that had almost no hair to shed was the perfect pal for them! He was a goofy thing, w/front teeth that were all awry, but he would stand up on his back legs and twirl around if a treat was offered.

And Lexie--what if Fluevogs really ARE the cure for cancer? OMG...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

And Lexie--what if Fluevogs really ARE the cure for cancer? OMG...
I am fairly convinced they could be responsible for at least world peace one day!

Aww, HP - our family always had corgis or corgi mixes. If you can get passed the barking and the shedding, they are the best! So much personality crammed into a sawed off German Shepherd sized dog : )

That Chinese Crested is ...umm...lovely! haha! It would however be nice to not be constantly buying Costco packs of lint rollers!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Aww, HP - our family always had corgis or corgi mixes. If you can get passed the barking and the shedding, they are the best! So much personality crammed into a sawed off German Shepherd sized dog : )
That made me laugh hard--I always thought bassetts were small dogs until I got Ned, and then I learned that they are NOT small dogs--they are actually rather LARGE dogs, just with shorter legs than all the other parts of them would seem to warrant! It seems that corgis must be the same way.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

It seems that corgis must be the same way.
YES, exactly. Plus, they think they are lap dogs, so I call it the CANNONBALL when he hops his girthy 36 pound "small" dog body up into your lap!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Oh, you dog people. It's like a different language to us Cat Peeps.

I'm just a little more than a week away from my summer vacation/girls' trip & I'm getting pretty excited! I work next Monday but it's really a blow-off day because we have a company spa day planned, then I head to the beach on Thursday morning for the long weekend.

I'm SO grateful that we have the opportunity to do this - when my local BFF & I started hanging at the beach to get away years ago, our girls were small & we were so very broke. We would take the girls with us to play in the sand while we talked until sunset (around 8-9 pm in the summer here) & then pool our change/loose cash to buy them Happy Meals or ice cream on the ride home. So long as we had enough to park & buy them treats, we were Golden.

Now we're booking 4 days for just ourselves & inspiring other women around us to make the same kind of priority/time for themselves. My BFF from out of state joined us last year & just made reservations to be here summer 2018 along with her own daughter & niece. (Both will be turning 21 this year) I just sent out a mass-text to all of our combined girlfriends reminding them that they are all invited to join us for as long or as little as works for their lives. I reminded them that while we aren't anti-men, we encourage them to carve out time to simply celebrate themselves as individuals - not wives, mothers, daughters, employees.

We went down to the beach this weekend & it was like a giant tease knowing we'll be staying soon - but it got me motivated to start my list-making & item-gathering & preliminary packing. We are staying in a studio room with a kitchen so we're taking a lot of creature comforts & food with us - it's going to take a while to settle in but once we do we won't have to get back into a vehicle or cross the bridge back to the "mainland" for anything. Everything is within walking distance & failing that, I've already got my Uber app ready to go.

.........but the best part is that for the first time in my 43+ years on this planet, I'll be rocking a bikini!

I've never had the confidence before but I've worked HARD these last couple of years & have managed to keep the weight off 100% while continuing to grow stronger & get more toned & fit.

A few weeks ago, DD & I had an incredible day of shopping & talking about body image while we went from store to store finding the perfect suit for each of us - she really IS my little cheerleader, encouraging me instead of embarrassed that I'm simply never like the "other" moms.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

FireSprite, you are really something! I'm so glad I got to know you through SR, and I'm so glad you continue to share stuff like this about yourself and your life and DD.

For me, you really embody the idea that a person can do anything they set their mind to!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thats so awesome FS - on the girls weekend and on all your hard work, CONGRATS!!! And I hope you runway walk the beach in that bikini a decade from now too!

My girls weekend is coming up in 2 weeks too. It's the best - we have a nice Air BNB cabin deep in the Bitterroot mountains. By cabin I mean sweet house on 30 acres in the middle of nowhere - stocked with firewood, but with satellite tv and wi-fi LOL. 15 minutes from a natural hot spring and 20 minutes from a great steak joint. Same thing, we've rented 20$ per night forest service cabins (where you sleep on prison mattresses, and fight over the bottom bunks because there are bats near the top bunks), and split up subway sandwiches for meals just so we could afford to see each other. Then, as we've gotten older, we've gone to Couer d' alene or Seattle.

I still have the Girls Weekend (we call it GEE-DUBBS) playlist you sent me before our trip last year And as I recall, it was about the same time as yours last year as well.

Nothing better than giggle therapy away from everything with friends.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Yes, I remember that! I didn't realize the timing was so close though!

You know, the bathing suit thing is so much more than just the physical losing-of-the-weight. Just thinking of myself as a person that is ALLOWED to wear such a thing ~in public no less~ is far, far more difficult.

My sister & I were raised to believe that we would not/could not ever be *that* girl. It is NOT ok for me to parade around in public looking like a "disgusting pig" in my mother's words. (she meant it as a sort of ****-shaming, but was too modest to use that kind of language) Her own body shame issues were drilled into our heads. Not only did we need to wear extremely modest suits because it was "right", we realllllly needed to be covered up with tee shirts unless absolutely necessary. Judging others for perfectly normal attire was better than dressing like them.

It was the worst kind of gift to receive over & over & over as a young girl in puberty.

YOUR trip sounds INCREDIBLE. I would really enjoy something like that, I did 3 days in the mountains in Arkansas with my friends last fall. The good part about staying close to home is that friends can drop in for a single night/a few hours but this particular venue is bound to run it's course soon enough & we'll move on to something new. Personally, I'd love to do change it up & see new stuff all the time. I LOVE travelling. And girl's trips are the BEST!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Those sound so awesome--I hope you both have a FANTASTIC time. And FS, you ROCK that bikini, girl!

I need a new swimsuit, myself--my bikini days are long gone (even the tummy tuck doesn't reverse the effects of aging), but it's nice to be able to pick a cool one-piece. I'm currently at the 41-pound weight loss mark, and I hauled three huge bins to Goodwill a couple weeks ago and bought a bunch of new clothes.

After I shared my diagnosis with a friend recently, he worriedly asked if the weight loss was because I was sick. I said, "Hell NO, I worked for every half pound that came off!"
Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Congrats Lexie, 41 lbs is a big accomplishment!!! You must be feeling like a new woman between that & the shoes!

I said, "Hell NO, I worked for every half pound that came off!"

I feel the same way, it certainly didn't just "happen". When DD asked me why I didn't have any tattoos (like dad) while we were trying on bathing suits, I told her to look again - MY tattoos cover far more of my body & I've earned every single one of them. Every stretch mark, cellulite patch, biopsy scar, freckle, excision scar, loose skin (from so much gain/loss over my eating disordered life)- they are a roadmap of my life - they tell MY story in a way words never could.

This morning I was awestruck by the simplicity of the wildflowers growing along a stretch of a highway that I sometimes drive. I haven't seen them anywhere else in my travels & suspect that their seeds blew down the road from the cemetery not too far away & took root. Their fiery reds, oranges & golds are the exact colors of a hot summer sunrise and/or sunset here in FL (depending on the day & weather). So grateful for the small things that give life.... well, Life.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
When DD asked me why I didn't have any tattoos (like dad) while we were trying on bathing suits, I told her to look again - MY tattoos cover far more of my body & I've earned every single one of them. Every stretch mark, cellulite patch, biopsy scar, freckle, excision scar, loose skin (from so much gain/loss over my eating disordered life)- they are a roadmap of my life - they tell MY story in a way words never could.
LOVE that thought!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I just got an email that DD qualified for the 2nd round of applicants for a scholarship that, if received, would provide her with money toward almost anything education related between now & senior year of HS.

It's a PRE-college scholarship designed to make sure the qualifier has access to the right tools like computers, educational camps & online classes to keep them on track for college. She would also be assigned a personal counselor that would work with us individually toward her goals & assist with all the college, scholarship & financial applications in her future.

I'm so excited & anxious - we should find out in a couple of months. In the meantime, I welcome all crossed fingers & toes!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Crossing every available appendage, FireSprite!

As I was driving my delivery route the other AM, I looked east across a field of tall grass. Much of the grass was going to seed, so a variety of seed heads plus many different weeds were holding drops of water from the rain that had passed earlier in the AM. The sun lit up each and every drop into a blaze of green and gold points of fire--it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! And just like your wildflowers, part of the sheer joy of seeing it was that it was completely unexpected.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Oh I love the simple little things in nature that are absolutely striking too. It was overcast on my way to work, but where the sun poked through caused the pavement and mountains to have a lovely shade of blue/gray, and the green grass was absolutely fluorescent green. It really is the little things that can just wash over us and be so, so stunning.

I just remembered I had a similar experience on the day I was driving to the mountains to meet my family to scatter my dads ashed in the spot we grew up camping. That day in particular - it was just a sign...to pause, that all is well, that we are small, and that good is everywhere. <3
Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 120 (permalink)