Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

That is AWESOME honeypig; I will make that my new mantra for this cycle.

I was supposed to do this when Spring was Sprung back in March but it just didn't seem "right" at the time. No idea why today seemed better, but it does.

Did you recuperate easily after your race? (Now THAT'S something I've never even attempted - no runner am I! )
Old 05-15-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Recovery wasn't a big issue, since it was only a 5K, or 3.1 miles. Also, although it was hilly, it was on trails that were dirt, grass or bark chips. As I get older, I find that those surfaces don't beat up my joints like a race or a long run on the road does.

I didn't run Sunday and today took my little black Demon Terrier out w/me for 3 miles of jog/walk, felt some lingering fatigue but that's normal.

It's been about 3 years since I ran at all, and I've been doing some reading about how best to adjust to getting older. One of the things I'm reading very consistently is that when you're over 50, you should probably not be running every day unless you're just one of those iron men/women. The consensus seems to be to run 3, maybe 4 days a week, and do some other lower-impact exercise in between. In light of that, I'm starting out very gently (injuries suck) and so far am happy w/how it's going. I am older, slower and fatter than I used to be, but you can only start from where you are, right? And I am just grateful to be back running and spending some time around other running fools...!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am SO grateful that I am able to book a long weekend with my friends at the beach again this summer.

One of my BFFs & I decided to just plan what WE wanted & split the cost ourselves & if any other friends decide to join for a night they can chip in. (Last year there were 3 of us)

We added an extra night this time so we can go down a day earlier, settle in, buy/stock groceries & wake up ON the beach on Friday morning to kick off the weekend. (Our room is like a studio apt with a kitchenette) Adding a night & splitting it only 2 ways increased the cost & it's going to be tight, but WORTH it. (We could stay at the "party hotels" for cheaper but I'm all about amenities & comfort, lol!) I am SO excited!

(Beach Days) ................... (Beach Nights) .........
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Boy oh boy, that sounds FANTASTIC, FS!

How is the fast/detox thing going?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Oh gosh honeypig. Last year I CRAWLED a marathon and with all the anemia/fibroid business this year I couldn't even walk up the stairs without getting out of breath.

Once I recover from this surgery I am so looking forward to getting back on the road. You're inspiring me to go back.

Congrats!

PS. Did you get a chance to try the morels?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

So far, so good. Thanks for asking! It's interesting to me how these experiences with fasting have evolved in a way, since I started them a couple of years ago. Makes sense since *I* have evolved as a person too, I guess?

I had a weak moment last night when I thought I might cave but just happened to flip to a page in that book I posted about that spoke about the long-term health benefits of doing this & it was like my HP pointing out the obvious for me, lol. So I practiced some self-care, turned in as early as possible & slept great.

I'm more than halfway now, no matter when I decide to break the fast!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuzzledHeart View Post
Oh gosh honeypig. Last year I CRAWLED a marathon and with all the anemia/fibroid business this year I couldn't even walk up the stairs without getting out of breath.

Once I recover from this surgery I am so looking forward to getting back on the road. You're inspiring me to go back.

Congrats!

PS. Did you get a chance to try the morels?
You know, PH, I struggled w/running before--enjoyed it but spent a lot of time really, really tired, had a lot of runs that were WORK. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new attitudes and information of the past couple of years affect the mental, emotional and physical aspects of my running this time around. Already I feel a sense of lightness and freedom I didn't use to, and not b/c I am physically lighter, I assure you! I feel like I'm doing it for a whole new set of reasons. Plus I feel like I'm not out to prove anything this time--I've already done a number of marathons, gotten to Boston twice as a time-qualified runner, did a couple of 50Ks.

If it turns out that things go very, very well and a marathon is within the realm of possibility, then I'll go for it, but I'm not going to beat the crap out of myself to do it b/c I already KNOW I can do one...do you know what I mean? I think it's kind of like FS and her fasting--she has done this enough that she KNOWS she can do it, so it's not scary.

I think I'm going to stick to shorter distances, softer surfaces, and a less serious mindset this time out of the gate.

To answer your question, I did NOT get to try my morels. I think I waited too long, b/c they felt very gnarly to me, so I think I missed the "edible" window. I guess the "morel" of the story is not to hesitate!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You BQ'd twice? WOW!!!!!

I don't think I'm ever going to hit that mark. I am definitely a back of the pack kind of runner. I don't know how much of the fibroids played into my times because I was diagnosed with them at the same time I started running six years ago. Oops.

I think you would appreciate this post:

https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/201...hoto-standards

Sorry about the morels. Maybe more will spring up soon!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

PH, that is freaking HILARIOUS! I am passing it on to my brother, who is a runner, too, but a fast one--2:25 marathon PR back in the day, and did a 2:45 at Boston in 2010 as a 48-year-old guy w/2 screws in his ankle from a fall off some scaffolding.

There is something to be said for being OLD, PH--all I needed for Boston for 2010 and 2011, the 2 years I ran it, was 4:00:00. I qualified by less than a minute each time, was on a running forum where those of us in that situation called ourselves the "Barely In Boston" club since we'd qualified by the skin of our teeth! Now, with the BQ set 5 minutes faster than it was, AND the fact that they take the fastest runners in each age group first, I truly don't know if I could qualify ever again.

Here's some more gratitude: I'm incredibly grateful to have qualified for Boston, even more grateful to have been able to afford to go, and even more grateful to have gone w/my brother both times. It's something I will never forget.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ahoneypig....a sort of funny story...well, maybe, ironic....
I knew an orthopedic surgeon, several years ago who was avidly into running. He got into it after a divorce in order to improve his physical fitness. Went to the Boston Marathon. The highlight of his life...lol....
After the finish of the race, he slipped on a banana peel...literally! I thought that was a joke....I have always heard of that expression, but never, ever heard of it actually happening......
He tore a ligament in his knee...had to have surgery...and was hobbling on crutches and a cast...couldn't stand in surgery, etc.....
Became quite despondent for a while.....
I know that I probably shouldn't tell you this story (bad dandylion)...but, I couldn't resist...
Point of the story...everytime I deal with banannas, I think of the Boston Marathon...

Also, I am proud of you....
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

dandy, the first time I ran it, I was next to a woman who slipped on a little plastic bag that was on the ground, probably had contained someone's snack. We had JUST started, hadn't even gotten out of the corrals yet, and this poor lady fell on a stupid plastic bag! She wasn't hurt, but boy, she was really shook up--first, it's the freaking Boston Marathon, and second, there were several thousand people starting in our wave, so to be on the ground amongst all those running feet had to have been terrifying! I helped her up and ran w/her until she seemed to settle down. Then she found her pace and left me in the dust. With almost 20,000 finishers that year, I of course didn't see her again, but I hope she had a good race in spite of a bad start!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I ran a mile, once.

Having done that, I hung up my shoes.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I ran a mile, once.

Having done that, I hung up my shoes.
I always KNEW you were a smart cookie, Lex! I mean, what kind of goofball A) decides that running 26.2 miles is a good idea even once and B) then does it AGAIN, several more times?

I recall reading a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition years ago. As they worked their way west, the members of the expedition of course encountered many animals they'd never seen before. Regarding grizzly bears, there was a quote to the effect of "having satisfied our curiosity regarding these animals, we would have been perfectly happy to not see any more ever again."

I think it's kind of like that, right?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, pretty much like that. I'm game for ATTEMPTING most things once--or to a point. I once dated a guy (back when I was in college) who skydived, and I ALMOST agreed to jump out of a perfectly good plane. I think we split up before my feet were put to the fire, or the money was put where my mouth was or whatever.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey, folks...I volunteered in the medical tent at the Marine Marathon in D.C., one year...does that count?....lol.....
Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh Lexie, think of all the injuries you missed!

dandylion, at least he finished. Could you imagine what would have happened if he did that at the start?

I'm glad you liked the Dumb Runner post honeypig. You may want to check out the documentary "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young." It's on Netflix. My husband is NOT a runner and HE enjoyed it, which is saying a lot. That said, there was much wincing as we watched it.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I've heard about the Barkley Marathons, and all I can say is YIKES! Nope, not for this girl, thank you....
Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Major Gratitude today - I recently took DD in for a skin-check with my dermatologist because we have history of melanoma in our family (my dad) & I try to be very proactive about this issue. For the first time, she needed to have areas biopsied - FIVE in total.

Results came back A-OK for all 5 areas yesterday & I breathed the biggest sigh of relief in The History of Ever. (to borrow a phrase from Wisconsin, lol!)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Such really great news, FS!

Is today the last day of your fast?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yes ma'am! Sometime around/after 10 pm tonight I will hit the 72-hour mark & should have restored my immunity to the best of my ability .

Last night I hit an up-cycle of energy..... at about 1:45 am! I was up for 2 hours cleaning even though I'd been asleep for a couple of hours at that point. It's very interesting to observe my body's reactions during these fasting cycles & how they change even just slightly each time.