Today's Gift Daily Reader

Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Looking for input

Hi, folks--along the line of "correcting mistakes as soon as they're recognized", I'm looking for input on this thread. Lexie mentions that sometimes what is posted is not very helpful for someone who is still in the "putting out fires" stage, and I agree w/that. It does seem to me that some of it IS helpful, though.

What do you, the readers, think about this thread so far? There are many sources I can work from, and actually I have another one that I think would be extremely appropriate also. In fact, I have toyed w/the idea of beginning to post it here along w/the others except that I currently have 4 of these things going in total and hesitate to take on another...

Input! I need INPUT! Please tell me how you feel so that these threads can do the most good for the most people. Thanks for your unvarnished opinions.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Honeypig, thank you for posting this thread. I read it every day, and find it at times inspiring. I have never thought, "well, that's wrong." So.. that's my two cents.
Oddly, i thought I would like and read daily the Melody Beattie thread that you also post but, not so much. I could live without that one if you wanted to drop it in favor of something else.
Thank you very much for your service and forcarrying the message. It is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Maudcat. I find I often don't like the Melody Beattie as well as I expected either.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think to omit posts because they might not be great for beginners (or someone in an abusive relationship, for instance) would be a disservice to others. I don't think "Today's Gift" is conference-approved literature (Al-Anon) and I know Melody Beattie isn't, but we aren't an Al-Anon group. And not everything in conference-approved literature is appropriate, IMO, for someone living with abuse. That doesn't mean it doesn't have value; just that it's important to note there are situations where conventional wisdom can be not-so-wise for a particular individual.

I'd say you should just keep posting them as is, and to the extent you or anyone else here has a different perspective on a particular entry, we are free to comment on it, as I did with this one. I'll admit I don't read these threads every day--I don't even always read the Hazelden daily post I have emailed to me. But we have lots of eyes around here and I wouldn't delete posts just because it's not applicable to everyone.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I wasn't thinking of specifically deleting threads, Lexie, but along the line of letting this (or another) thread go and trying another source if the one being used isn't helpful to folks. Actually, it's probably not a bad idea for me to ask for feedback on the daily readers every so often; maybe I should mark it on my calendar to check in every couple of months and see what the general feeling is.

I also get a Hazelden daily thought emailed to me, and that is what I would consider posting here instead if either this thread or the MB one got a significant number of thumbs down votes.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, I'm not sure you will find ANYTHING universally helpful to everyone. But I do know how much work you put into these threads, so I totally get wanting the best possible source.

I no longer own "Courage to Change," but I remember that being very helpful in my early struggles.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And just an FYI for everyone, "Courage to Change" IS Al-Anon Conference-Approved. It's got some great stuff, but might put off some folks not into the Al-Anon program.

Still, if you're interested in it, it's available on several retail sites (including an e-book format).
Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

honeypig....for my opinion....I think you are riding a winning horse.....like Lexie said...you can't please every single person, every time. Each one of us is different in what we respond to.....
I just gloss over the writing that doesn't "grab" me...but, I live for the ART!
As far as I can tell, these threads are very popular, over all...
I vote that you continue to use your judgement....
Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input, dandy--the art is my favorite part, too!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I like the art, too.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Hi, folks--along the line of "correcting mistakes as soon as they're recognized", I'm looking for input on this thread. Lexie mentions that sometimes what is posted is not very helpful for someone who is still in the "putting out fires" stage, and I agree w/that. It does seem to me that some of it IS helpful, though.

What do you, the readers, think about this thread so far? There are many sources I can work from, and actually I have another one that I think would be extremely appropriate also. In fact, I have toyed w/the idea of beginning to post it here along w/the others except that I currently have 4 of these things going in total and hesitate to take on another...

Input! I need INPUT! Please tell me how you feel so that these threads can do the most good for the most people. Thanks for your unvarnished opinions.
I LOVE this thread honey. Exactly as you choose to post it.
Thank you again for all that you do.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I love these too, HP - exactly as you do them.

Some days they are relevant to my life, some days they aren't. Some days, I realize that something I thought not relevant to me, actually was meant for me - when I read it.

THanks so much for the daily stuff, I look forward to them, and share them with friends who need them, often.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Say what you like: say I'm ill,

Say I broke my leg on the stairs,

Say we've had a fire

—T. S. Eliot

Think of the trouble of excuses and lies. They force us to make ourselves sick, live with a whole broken leg, start some sort of slow burn. When we tell someone we're not at home, we have to hide in that place. When we invent a long line of lies, we have to memorize each one. It's easiest just to come clean, use plain and simple words, and speak true. When accusers spear us with their stares, we can disarm them by looking them right in the eye.

Not only do lies deceive others, they keep us hidden from ourselves, and make our real reasons for the choices we've made seem unworthy, if we feel we can't express them. Better that we be truthful, even if a little pain results. Truth keeps communication lines open. Then, when someone really wants to know what's on our minds, we can simply open our hearts.

Is anything too terrible to tell to a friend?

This reading is from Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation, posted on the "Thought for the Day" page at the Hazelden/Betty Ford Foundation web site. Additional daily readings can be found here: Thought for the Day | Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your comments and kind words about this thread. After a good deal of thought, however, I've decided that I am going to discontinue this thread. I'm currently handling 4 daily reader threads and will be cutting back to just one, feeling a need to change things up a bit. My last post in this thread will be Friday's.

If anyone is interested in taking up the torch and continuing the thread, I will be glad to pass on the link for the readings as well as info on posting pictures, if you choose to do that as well. Just PM me.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Totally get it, hp. You've carried more than your share around here.

Thank you for your service!!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

You are more than welcome, Lexie.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I am very grateful for all the work you do keeping up all the "daily reader" threads. As others have noted, I do not think it is possible to have one "reader" thread that will be perfect for all people. There's just too much a spread in the backgrounds of our members.

My suggestion is that you post whichever type of thread is most helpful to you and your own personal recovery. Whether it be just one daily reader, or four, or maybe you take a "sabbatical". It's your example in doing recovery work that is so valuable here on SR. The actual posts just make it lovely and cheerful.

Whatver you choose to do, let me know what SR can do to be supportive.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Mike, thank you so much for your kind words. I owe so much to the members of SR who've shared their ES&H w/me here. It is the absolute truth when I say I would not be where I am now w/o the help, support and occasional butt-kicking of these fine folks!

I am planning to keep the "Earth Prayers" daily reader thread over in the "Spirituality" section going. I know that a lot of people really enjoy the artwork in the daily readers, and I'm contemplating at some point starting a thread composed of nothing but artwork, not necessarily daily but when the urge strikes. Only in the contemplating phase so far, though.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to be of service.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I can only echo Mike's very wise words....and wherever you choose to post, I will follow you there.

So much love dearest honey.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependent

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

As is heavily quoted, "take what you like, and leave the rest."

You're putting out GREAT information, all the time, HP! I find value in this, and some may be more relevant and reach people more one day than another. Thank you for doing this!

Also, just my two cents, I REALLY enjoy the Melody Beattie daily quotes. They've helped me a lot.