Melody Beattie Daily Reader

Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I may have been the one who recommended "Waiting", and I am probably due for a re-reading of it myself. It's been a while, and as I learn, I understand things differently when I come back to them a 2nd or 3rd or 10th time...
Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I love Marya Hornbacher!

HP...this reminded me of something I taught to my Sunday School kids. I took a bunch of phones, old rotary phones, cell phones, computer, etc. I also took a little house, a car, a school, etc. We talked about how we are such a connected world to each other, but forget that we can pray to God anytime. Doing anything. In the car, at home, at school, etc.

It was such a simple concept that I often forget that I can reach out to God anytime as well!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TropicalWinter View Post
Honestly, I haven't prayed in years.

I grew up in a really screwed up, cultish church. After I left, my pendulum swung the other way. At this point in my life, I feel like it's starting to settle out some, but I have major struggles with spirituality.

I recently started reading Waiting by Marya Hornbacher, which I saw recommended on a thread recently, and I think it will be helpful.
I struggled with faith a lot through the years.

The 'Conversations with God' book was fantastic. I don't know that I believe the author spoke with God literally.....but it is a beautiful reconciliation of all faiths - and non.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

fb, many years ago I started reading "Conversations w/God" and almost immediately put it down again. It just didn't seem relevant to me at all, and I thought the author was probably a nut.

Thanks for mentioning it, as again, I suspect I'd see things differently if I was to take a look at it now. Think I'll add it to my reading list on my library site.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Honeypig, I loved it - because you don't have to believe any one thing, or anything for that matter for it to make sense and give an ounce of peace....and after loving it, I don't disagree that the author might be a nut Maybe in the best kind of way though - these days, a peaceful, happy nut isn't so bad to me haha!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How do you like to pray? What works for you?
For a long time I avoided prayer because I was raised to think that God was busy and I should do things for myself. Well, I did just that and really made an awful mess of my life.

In early recovery I kept a discipline to my prayers, praying each morning asking for strength for the day and praying each evening to say "thank you" for another day. Then I found nature and became a bit of a birder and caught myself noticing God's beauty all around me, and I would sometimes whisper another prayer of gratitude....sometimes the breeze would whisper back "you're welcome".

Melody Beattie once said "pray for anything you want, God will sort out the junk." How much nicer to hear that rather than that God was too busy,

Thanks, HP, this is a delightful uplifting thread and I intend to read here often.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

January 7, 2017

My friend looked at all the devotees climbing a mountain on one of our trips to Tibet. They were peaceful, serene, radiant. My friend shook his head in awe. “Their whole life is a prayer,” he said.

Gratitude Focus: We can be grateful that even when we forget to pray, God doesn’t forget us.

From the book: 52 Weeks of Conscious Contact

Old 01-07-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The part of today's reading about "their whole life is prayer" really resonates w/me. It took some time for me to accept what people said at SR and Alanon about actions being more important than sweet words or good intentions, but once I got it, I found myself looking at that in every aspect of my life and my world.

I have posted this prayer from Thomas Merton before but will post it again, as it feels to me like it is related:

“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Prayer, Day 7

January 8, 2017

Go ahead. Don’t just think about praying. Talk to God.

Prayer: Help me come close enough to you that even a little of you will rub off on me. Teach me the power of prayer.

From the book "52 Weeks of Conscious Contact"

Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't speak to my higher power very much. If something is really troubling, and I can't see a way forward, I will give it to my higher power and ask her to show me a path., or say that it is in her hands now, do what she will.
I don't think it is begging, per se. It's accepting of a force greater than me, and awareness that I don't have all the answers, nor should I.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

January 9, 2017

You are reading from "The Meditation Room" of Melody Beattie's website here: Daily Meditations Archives - Melody Beattie

Safety

One of the long-term effects of living in a dysfunctional family—as children or adults—is that we don’t feel safe.

Much of what we call codependency happens because we don’t feel safe in relationships. This can cause us to control, obsess, or focus on the other person, while neglecting ourselves or shutting down our feelings.

We can learn to make ourselves feel safe and comfortable as part of a nurturing, loving attitude toward ourselves.

Often we get a feeling of safety and comfort when we attend Twelve Step meetings or support groups. Being with a friend or doing something nice for ourselves helps us feel protected and loved. Sometimes, reaching out to another person helps us feel safe. Prayer and meditation help us affirm that our Higher Power cares for us.

We are safe now. We can relax. Perhaps others haven’t been there for us in a consistent, trustworthy way, but we are learning to be there for ourselves.

Today, I will concentrate on making myself feel safe and comfortable.

From the book "The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series"

Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh, to be that little kitty, snuggled in the big soft ear of his friend!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this - exactly what I needed today.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

January 10, 2017

You are reading from "The Meditation Room" of Melody Beattie's website here: Daily Meditations Archives - Melody Beattie

Prayer Helps

“Sometimes I talk myself out of praying,” Sheila said. “I convince myself that it’s just more work, because even if I pray about something, I have to do all the work, too.”

I sit down to write. The energy’s not there, but the deadline is. God, please help. I remember a joke I heard from someone, somewhere: “I love deadlines. Especially the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by.” I write anyway, putting one word in front of another. Then, from out of nowhere, comes a string of words I didn’t plan on, a new idea, a fresh perspective, a story, complete with ending. Wow! Where’d that come from?

An issue comes up in a relationship with a friend. He’s hurt and angry. His hurt and anger evoke more hurt and anger in me. I try to reason things out, listen to him, get him to see things my way. He feels justified. So do I. Day after day, we work on the relationship. The strain continues. I don’t know what to do next. “God, please help me with this situation. Show me what to do next.” I keep talking to my friend. He keeps talking to me. Then one day, I feel less defensive and guilty. A new feeling surrounds the relationship. “I’m sorry,” I say one day. “So am I,” he says, too. Wow, I think. Where did that come from?

I stand on the scale, glaring at the numbers. I want to lose ten pounds. I start eating less, exercising more. A few days later, I get on the scale again. Dang. Gained a pound. I continue to eat less; the numbers don’t move. God, please help me drop this weight. Why am I holding on to it? I continue to watch my caloric intake and pay attention to exercise. One morning, I get on the scale. Wow! I’ve lost five pounds. How did that happen?

Pray. Let go. Then act as if you need to do all the work. Don’t plan on magic and miracles. But leave room for them, too.

God, help me remember that when I run out of myself, I run right into you.

From the book "More Language of Letting Go."

Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

January 11, 2017

Staying Out of the Middle

“I don’t want to get in the middle, but . . .” is a sign that we may have just stepped into the middle.

We do not have to get caught in the middle of other people’s issues, problems, or communication. We can let others take responsibility for themselves in their relationships. We can let them work out their issues with each other.

Being a peacemaker does not mean we get in the middle. We are bearers of peace by staying peaceful ourselves and not harboring turmoil. We are peacemakers by not causing the extra chaos created when we get in the middle of other people’s affairs and relationships.

Don’t get in the middle unless you want to be there.

Today, I will refuse to accept any invitations to jump in the middle of others’ affairs, issues, and relationships. I will trust others to work out their own affairs, including the ideas and feelings they want to communicate to each other.

From the book "The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series."

Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I needed to read that today, there is a family "issue" that does not involve me, and I needed this reminder to stay out of it and let the others figure it out.

Thanks HP, you're right there when I need to hear something.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

January 12, 2017

Lighten Up

The matter at hand is serious. It’s grave. We need to get serious about the relationship. We need to get serious about the task.

Maybe what we really need to do is learn to lighten up.

Nations rise and fall, heroes are born and die, the sun rises and sets, and you want me to take seriously the notion that arriving to church wearing the right clothes is going to make any difference at all?

What matters is what’s in our hearts.

“The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly,” G. K. Chesterton once wrote. Once you stop taking yourself so seriously and let go of the gravity of all that you do, you can learn to fly, too.

God, help me lighten up.

From the book " More Language of Letting Go."

Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I don't speak to my higher power very much. If something is really troubling, and I can't see a way forward, I will give it to my higher power and ask her to show me a path., or say that it is in her hands now, do what she will.
I don't think it is begging, per se. It's accepting of a force greater than me, and awareness that I don't have all the answers, nor should I.
That's how I used to be, too. There is a great section early in the book Eat, Pray, Love where Liz Gilbert is fighting hard to get her divorce from her first husband finalized. She is driving in a car with a friend, and explaining that she has sent over the very final settlement offer to her estranged husband, and she just hopes he will finally sign because she is so over it all. And her friend basically tells her "who says you can't petition the universe for something you want?!?" And then there is a description of the two of them laughing and driving, talking about all the famous people (Oprah! Brad Pitt!) who would ALSO petition the universe for the settlement to be signed on her behalf. I loved that part--it reframed how I thought about prayer a lot.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I know I have posted this before, though not sure exactly where, so please forgive me, friends, for repeating.
I once heard a speaker refer to the things we carry around with us: resentments, anger, grudges, slights real or imagined, as "a box of rocks, and one that you need to put down. You will feel better when you do."
I love the box of rocks analogy. I havemy own box of rocks. I feel so much better when I drop it. It is heavy.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I know I have posted this before, though not sure exactly where, so please forgive me, friends, for repeating.
I once heard a speaker refer to the things we carry around with us: resentments, anger, grudges, slights real or imagined, as "a box of rocks, and one that you need to put down. You will feel better when you do."
I love the box of rocks analogy. I havemy own box of rocks. I feel so much better when I drop it. It is heavy.
I have physically done this as an exercise in my recovery too (waaaaay back in those early days, lol). I painted rocks with words & images that represented all that I wanted to let go of, stuffed them into a backpack & hauled it to the river, feeling the burden of that weight on my back.

I pitched them, one-by-one, into the dark depths, stopping to contemplate each one as it smashed into the water. Then I carried that now-empty, very-light pack home again. It was awesome & surprisingly freeing!