Mind dump

Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You're not an idiot, TW. But living with someone who is sick with the illness of active addiction will eventually make you sick in your own individual way.I reccomend Alanon to you because it works for me and many others who find themselves in these predicaments. One of their saying is "Nothing changes if nothing changes." In your situation it will probably will be you that has to initiate any healthful change for you and especially for your beloved children. Huge hugs to you all.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm an idiot and my kids are paying for it.
You aren't an idiot. You made a mistake, not the same thing at all. Don't add negative self-talk to the stress you are feeling.

I admit, this brought back awful memories of my AF getting us out of bed at night to clean when he felt we hadn't done our chores properly. As a child it was beyond confusing, not understanding that his crazy behavior was the result of him being blasted out of his mind on a mixture of alcohol and cocaine. There's no feeling of security when this kind of insanity literally drags you out of bed at night with no warning.

You've done this before, you've already proven you can do it again!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

thousandwords.....by any chance, did you grow up having to be the "peacemaker" in the family...? Or, have to protect and care for someone---more than a child should have on their shoulders?
Just a question for you to think about....(I am just spitballing, here)......

don't waste too much time beating yourself up! That takes a lot of energy and pulls y ou down.
Use the energy to hitch up the wagons and move westward.....

dandylion
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
thousandwords.....by any chance, did you grow up having to be the "peacemaker" in the family...? Or, have to protect and care for someone---more than a child should have on their shoulders?
Just a question for you to think about....(I am just spitballing, here)......

don't waste too much time beating yourself up! That takes a lot of energy and pulls y ou down.
Use the energy to hitch up the wagons and move westward.....

dandylion
Yes, Dandy, as an adult I have realized some unhealthy dynamics in my family growing up. My father is an ACOA- but never drank or had any substance abuse issues. Very straight laced and reserved, very family oriented. But I was/still am a voice of reason with my mom and siblings, even though I still struggle with being taken seriously. I still haven't quite nailed down what the issues are, but I also have not really kept my mind on the subject.

and LOL- to your moving westward comment

and to reply to the others above, I know I'm not an idiot. Quite the contrary, I am just mad at myself because here I am in the same position I was a year ago.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Please, if you can (hard with kids) go to an al-anon meeting, or two or three or fifteen. I cannot say enough about that fellowship's ability to help people who are troubled by a family member's drinking to learn the strategies to help them cope. Whether you stay or go, Al-Anon can help.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi...I just wanted to share my experience...so very similar! It was night after night. I have two boys two years apart, and I kept the peace, tried to smooth out his outbursts, believed in parenting quietly through respect instead of fear...

I didn't leave for good until mine were 11 and 13. The 13 year old was starting to exhibit some of his dad's behavior, and I was so afraid he'd turn out like his dad. I spent most of my time trying to avoid XAH's angry outbursts and protect the kids, and in the end I was so strung out I didn't even recognize myself.

If I could rewind and make a different decision while they were younger, I'd give anything. I wasn't protecting them.

However, 3.5 years after I left and moved eastward with the boys (1,000 miles back home--sorry, was already west lol), they are fantastic.

I know you know this, but the beauty of a calm house for kids tops just about everything. I could cry in thanks for what we have now--and they're amazing kids. I don't ever have to raise my voice, because they respect and love me. There are times I still have to kick them in the pants, but hey, they're teens. They grin and do it, even when they grumble.

I just watched the nail in the head video and laughed at how incredibly OBVIOUS the problem was (in hindsight), but how hard and elusive the solution seemed for so long.

Just sayin- I don't know your story that well, but you sure sound like the kind of mom who will thrive and rock it if you hitch those wagons back up.

Hugs to you!
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Praying View Post
Hi...I just wanted to share my experience...so very similar! It was night after night. I have two boys two years apart, and I kept the peace, tried to smooth out his outbursts, believed in parenting quietly through respect instead of fear...

I didn't leave for good until mine were 11 and 13. The 13 year old was starting to exhibit some of his dad's behavior, and I was so afraid he'd turn out like his dad. I spent most of my time trying to avoid XAH's angry outbursts and protect the kids, and in the end I was so strung out I didn't even recognize myself.

If I could rewind and make a different decision while they were younger, I'd give anything. I wasn't protecting them.

However, 3.5 years after I left and moved eastward with the boys (1,000 miles back home--sorry, was already west lol), they are fantastic.

I know you know this, but the beauty of a calm house for kids tops just about everything. I could cry in thanks for what we have now--and they're amazing kids. I don't ever have to raise my voice, because they respect and love me. There are times I still have to kick them in the pants, but hey, they're teens. They grin and do it, even when they grumble.

I just watched the nail in the head video and laughed at how incredibly OBVIOUS the problem was (in hindsight), but how hard and elusive the solution seemed for so long.

Just sayin- I don't know your story that well, but you sure sound like the kind of mom who will thrive and rock it if you hitch those wagons back up.

Hugs to you!
Thank you so so much. Very similar story indeed. Your words actually made me tear up, as the beauty of a calm house is all that I want. I KNOW that is how we will flourish. My oldest (son-9) is very sweet and emotional and smart. I do see him dealing with disappointment/anger in unhealthy ways. I walk him through it, but with another influence in the house it's giving him mixed signals. My middle child (daughter -5) is a pleaser and shock factor/dare devil - I do not want her growing up seeing outbursts and not getting attention when she deserves it. My youngest (daughter -5 as well) Is a lot like me, the peace maker/self sacrificer/ mediator. I don't want her to grow up and get into relationships that take advantage of her kindness.

I am so so so happy to hear of your situation now that you are on the "other side" of things. Makes it seem not so scary and unknown.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Praying:

Also- what video do you mention above? I think I need to watch it
Old 08-23-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post
Praying:

Also- what video do you mention above? I think I need to watch it
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg
Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
LOL!!!! I was lol'ing in my kitchen. So true. Sad, but true. Thanks for the link Lexie
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

thousandwords.....I especially love the line: "All of my sweaters have gotten snagged"....

dandylion
Old 10-24-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Mind dump new entry:
I really appreciate this forum in allowing to brain dump my thoughts here.
I have a hard time recognizing warning signs in the moment, and always figure things out in retrospect. I am seeing waves/patterns when I start to lurk again. And when I start to change my healthy habits and self sabotage...

This seasonal transition is always tough in our house. The Holidays bring up un-fun emotions. Starting to feel that coming on. AH spends most of his time in his recliner, zoned out on tv or his phone. Just kind of in the background while life goes on. Very strange.

I have been noticing my own strength being weakened:
I am losing motivation/interest in my own hobbies- allowing anything to be an excuse to not participate.

I am drinking to "hang" with AH. Not drinking much, but a drink or two on the weekends- I normally just don't partake. But it has become "our thing" again- watching a movie/the news etc...Also we are switching to hard drinks and less beer. (Harder to keep track of?)

I feel love-bombed a bit- AH now wants to join MY GYM and go the time I go. (after showing disinterest when I share my accomplishments there)
The gym is MY TIME. He HATES hearing what I share about that place, shuts me down, and gets jealous/suspicious of my new friendships I had made there (including some men) I feel like he is picking my location so he can control it somehow...but am I being paranoid? I dunno...or maybe I do know.

Just had to post to maintain sanity. Appreciate you all!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sounds like not much has changed. Rearranged a bit, but not actually changed.

The gym is MY TIME.
And he wants to start infringing on that. Does not seem like a positive.

I am drinking to "hang" with AH. Not drinking much, but a drink or two on the weekends- I normally just don't partake. But it has become "our thing" again- watching a movie/the news etc...Also we are switching to hard drinks and less beer.
So you normally don't drink, but have started doing so in order to spend time with your alcoholic husband. Also does not seem like a positive.

I don't know, all the "we" talk in your post makes me think you're still pretty enmeshed with him. Like for some reason you don't feel totally comfortable doing things on your own without his approval.

The thing is, he is never going to approve of anything that shakes up the status quo of him sitting in his recliner drinking and zoning out and feeling free to verbally and emotionally abuse the family on a whim. He's not going to approve of anything that gives you a measure of independence from the unhealthy dynamics of your marriage. He's perfectly happy with the way things are. He gets to sit and drink and everyone else in the house just kind of tiptoes around trying not to upset him, or scrambles to appease him when he has a meltdown. Pretty good deal. For him. All except that pesky time alone you're having at the gym. Meeting new people, getting out of your rut. Gotta nip that in the bud. Better you stay home and drink with him.

Have you looked into Al Anon meetings? Or CoDA? Or Celebrate Recovery? This isn't going to fix itself, and your husband has no incentive to want any real changes. All of his needs are being met. All the time. By everyone in the house. Because you are all living in fear, tiptoeing around on eggshells and caretaking his every whim.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

thousandwowords......wouldn't you like for the children to have a few peaceful and warm Christmases as their childhood memories, before adolescent years?
They will carry these h oliday memories with them for their whole lifetimes.
When adolescent years hit...things will change quite a bit. They are still so innocent and see you as a golden person on a pedestal, right now....these are called the "golden years" of childhood for a reason...lol.....Don't let these precious years slip through your hands...because of his disease.....

I wonder if you have considered going to Adult Children of Alcoholics, yet. from your history..you do qualify. I believe that it would be a real eye opener for you...as well as validating so much of your life...and, give you a sneak preview of what is in store for your own kids.....

What if you start going to a place that, almost always, women, only, go to...
Like a knitting class or a crafting group....just some place that he would feel socially uncomfortable....
Everybody needs a hobby (in addition to their therapy). A female dance class would be good.....like a belly dancing class.
You need your own time!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Sounds like not much has changed. Rearranged a bit, but not actually changed.

And he wants to start infringing on that. Does not seem like a positive.

So you normally don't drink, but have started doing so in order to spend time with your alcoholic husband. Also does not seem like a positive.

I don't know, all the "we" talk in your post makes me think you're still pretty enmeshed with him. Like for some reason you don't feel totally comfortable doing things on your own without his approval.

The thing is, he is never going to approve of anything that shakes up the status quo of him sitting in his recliner drinking and zoning out and feeling free to verbally and emotionally abuse the family on a whim. He's not going to approve of anything that gives you a measure of independence from the unhealthy dynamics of your marriage. He's perfectly happy with the way things are. He gets to sit and drink and everyone else in the house just kind of tiptoes around trying not to upset him, or scrambles to appease him when he has a meltdown. Pretty good deal. For him. All except that pesky time alone you're having at the gym. Meeting new people, getting out of your rut. Gotta nip that in the bud. Better you stay home and drink with him.

Have you looked into Al Anon meetings? Or CoDA? Or Celebrate Recovery? This isn't going to fix itself, and your husband has no incentive to want any real changes. All of his needs are being met. All the time. By everyone in the house. Because you are all living in fear, tiptoeing around on eggshells and caretaking his every whim.

Very great points. I hadn't noticed the "We"...that's not good I didn't notice that. This verifies the fact that I have been feeling suffocated, the enmeshment has been amped up more than I realized. Honestly, I was worried that I was treating this forum like my diary and that nothing had really changed..so why was I posting?
I bolded the paragraph that spells out our reality. Thank you. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
thousandwowords......wouldn't you like for the children to have a few peaceful and warm Christmases as their childhood memories, before adolescent years?
They will carry these h oliday memories with them for their whole lifetimes.
When adolescent years hit...things will change quite a bit. They are still so innocent and see you as a golden person on a pedestal, right now....these are called the "golden years" of childhood for a reason...lol.....Don't let these precious years slip through your hands...because of his disease.....

I wonder if you have considered going to Adult Children of Alcoholics, yet. from your history..you do qualify. I believe that it would be a real eye opener for you...as well as validating so much of your life...and, give you a sneak preview of what is in store for your own kids.....

What if you start going to a place that, almost always, women, only, go to...
Like a knitting class or a crafting group....just some place that he would feel socially uncomfortable....
Everybody needs a hobby (in addition to their therapy). A female dance class would be good.....like a belly dancing class.
You need your own time!!!!
Dandy, I always love your replies. That is exactly what I want and envision for my children, I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS lol.

I need to search for an ACOA meeting around my area. There aren't many resources close to me, but I need to make it a priority. He would be socially uncomfortable in any setting lol. I don't think he could hang at the gym actually. His ego is out of control and he'd find an excuse why it "didn't work" I'd almost bet money on it. But back to me---- I will refocus, and the kiddos of course. Thank you, again
Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

thousandwords, if you do not feel you are able to say, "I actually prefer to go to the gym by myself," without launching World War III, then that says a great deal about your relationship that you will not be able to brush off forever.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
thousandwords, if you do not feel you are able to say, "I actually prefer to go to the gym by myself," without launching World War III, then that says a great deal about your relationship that you will not be able to brush off forever.
^^^ I thought of that. I told him: "sure" but really I was avoiding conflict, and a main reason he wants to join my gym now, is because he is suspicious of who I want to go see there. Jealousy. He doesn't realize I go because I A: enjoy it. B: I'm good at it and C: It Is my outlet/therapy.
I have told him all these reasons.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ugg I used to dread the holidays with XABF.

Well...I dreaded winter in general with him.

I can tell you that there is no sense of peace quite like knowing you are going to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas with ZERO drunken drama.

No one will bail on our plans this year to get back at me for something I don't know I did. No one will expect me to be there for them, when they can't be there for me. No one will be slamming a drink Xmas morning to deal with family. There will be no argument with a drunk about who is driving. I will not be going to sleep in a room that smells like a slow death. I wont listen to a drunken rage because all of the Christmas lights don't work. I won't have to subtly separate our tree ornaments when I put them away, because the end is inevitable. I won't have an inebriated person in my way cooking dinner, prodding about "how they can help"...as they pour a four fingered vodka mixed with beer.

Life can be better TW....so much better....and you deserve that!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Ugg I used to dread the holidays with XABF.

Well...I dreaded winter in general with him.

I can tell you that there is no sense of peace quite like knowing you are going to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas with ZERO drunken drama.

No one will bail on our plans this year to get back at me for something I don't know I did. No one will expect me to be there for them, when they can't be there for me. No one will be slamming a drink Xmas morning to deal with family. There will be no argument with a drunk about who is driving. I will not be going to sleep in a room that smells like a slow death. I wont listen to a drunken rage because all of the Christmas lights don't work. I won't have to subtly separate our tree ornaments when I put them away, because the end is inevitable. I won't have an inebriated person in my way cooking dinner, prodding about "how they can help"...as they pour a four fingered vodka mixed with beer.

Life can be better TW....so much better....and you deserve that!
Thank you. I know we deserve better. It would be amazing to make plans, in advance, that are followed through with, and to be able to enjoy the holidays - to not have to power through it alone with three kids, whilst babysitting a grown man because he "can’t deal” with: Family, crowds, driving, money, people frolicking and laughing, etc. (rolls eyes)