Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 3

Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

If alcoholism only worked that way!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I didn't know that HP! I know that I "quit" at least 3-5 times before I gave it up for good.

I thought about you a lot over the weekend firebolt! I remember being surprised at how much junk came up & out of my lungs and how after it seemed to settle down, it started all over again months later..... like I was bringing it up in layers, ugh. I also smoked menthol cigs & I swore that if they'd never been created I would have never smoked at all - I hated regular cigarettes.

6 days is awesome! $30 toward those boots!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I "quit" a number of times before quitting for good also, FS. And like you, I smoked menthols b/c regular cigs had no appeal to me. I even tried those clove cigs once when "quitting", but those were even more horrible than plain ones, IMHO!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

So happy for the little things this morning. It started out grouchy & ick....

...then my first voicemail of the day was from a client that is such a character & he is so unintentionally, hilariously awkward...... the message made me LOL because he was so genuine & open & then laughing & commenting on his own funny message.

My 2nd call was another client who is wonderfully dramatic & lives life with gusto - calling to share that she'd just won a really decent amount on a scratch off ticket while traveling in her motorhome. I woohoo'd with her for a while but then had to bring her back to reality - taxable income, d'oh! LOL!

Another dropped by with a pound of candy for me from Daffin's in OH - just because she was in the area & knows how much DD & I like dark chocolate. Such kindness.

I love that we build the types of authentic relationships with our clients that make them think of us as family. They are the best part of my job!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I am just grateful for an afternoon to sit down and relax. Seems I've been running and running--cleaning the pole shed (40 x 60, not small!), selling stuff, buying a new car, going to Canada for bro's wedding, changing jobs, keeping up w/the yard work which is never-freaking-ending in the summer (but worth it)--it seems like forever since I sat down w/my spinning wheel and some wool and just got into a "spinning trance."

Off to do that for a while right now!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

^^ Yay for a happy place HP - love that you get a "spinning trance!"

Grateful for a weird, sad, necessary day.

Yesterday would have been my parents 41st anniversary, and today is mom's bday. My mom didn't want to go to work, and she didn't want to stay home, so she made appointments to pick out my dad's gravestone in his hometown 3 hours from her, and my towns. I get it - I'm oddly morbid too and see clearly where that came from

She was going to go alone and I have some freedom at work, so I took the day off and drove up and met her.

I was dreading it. 6 hours round trip in a car on day 7 of not smoking...plus, Mom's never been a super fun person to be around. She has her happy moments, and is publicly a good, helpful and super involved person, but really, we've all lived with her passive aggression and anger and judgement for years. But she loves us, and we love her...and yeah...I went knowing it might suck but also that she needs support too.

It didn't suck. She was oddly pleasant in between outbursts about the traffic, the lawn care at the cemetery, general judginess about me not having kids and over my 14 year old nephew seeing a counselor (why would she judge anyone seeking help - let alone a kid?!) She seemed happy to be away, happy that I was there and happy to get the tombstone picking done. She even seemed to value my opinion on which sprigs of wheat would look best. I'm glad I went and I would have regretted not going...and super grateful for the freedom to do it.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

((((firebolt))))

This morning when I woke up I thought, "something is OFF - something is missing, why do I feel out of synch?"..... and then it hit me.

I've been so busy again that I've been jumping out of bed in the morning, hitting the ground running & not slowing down until I'm back in bed at the end of a long day. Totally skipping over my daily practice of gratitude that typically starts the first 10 mins of my day while I slowly wake up & acclimate to waking life.

I LOVE that it has become so much of my Normal that I could clearly notice it's absence after a couple of weeks!!! ( You all will understand this better than anyone else in my life, lol!)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I have a 35-minutes drive to work, so I take about 10-15 minutes of that time and pray - asking for guidance, forgiveness, help, and some venting along the way. The days get crazy, and this helps me have some gratitude to stat my day. I usually start by saying, "Thank you for this day" -even if it didn't start out well, I'm still thankful to be alive and breathing.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Grateful for Friday, 10 whole days as a non smoker, and Howard's Pizza. I picked up $100 worth of half-baked pizza's from the best pizza place ever when I went to my home town earlier this week. I gave my brother half of them, and put mine in the freezer. I'm going to bust one out tonight.... "The Kraut" House made tangy German sausage and sauerkraut. Happy Friday!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

10 days down, firebolt--great job!! Hope you enjoy your pizza celebration!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

10 days is amazing Firebolt! I'll hit five years on August 15th. It just gets easier!!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

WOW SK - that's awesome - CONGRATS! I cannot wait until my cigarette days are a distant, faded memory!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I am grateful for, in no particular order:

Picking up the latest book in the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffrey Deaver at the library today.

Finding fresh figs for a somewhat reasonable price at the grocery store today.

Today being a lovely, sunny, NON-HUMID day w/a perfect cool breeze.

Not having to work tomorrow so I can stay up as late as I like, reading my book, eating my figs, and enjoying the company of my dear little dogs.

I am just about as perfectly happy at this moment as it is possible for anyone to be in this world!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I'm happy to be back at work on a Monday, and having a beautiful sunrise following me in. And for this forum.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Go firebolt, go! Day #13, right?!! WOOHOO!

Grateful that home remedies have been working great for DD's double ear infections - we haven't had a weekend like this since she was a toddler, whew, I'm exhausted! So happy that she's not opposed to alternative meds & that our Doc isn't the type to rush to write scrips for the antibiotics anyway.

Happy that we didn't have to cancel her dental appt this morning as a result - getting in during school days is so difficult & I prefer getting this crap out of the way in the summer - woohoo for a great checkup! I'm BEYOND grateful that she did NOT inherit my bad teeth!! Never thought I'd be so happy to hear the words "I can't imagine her needing any orthodonture correction in the future based on what I see now". Woohoo for NO braces!

Happy that my first attempt at making brisket turned out really well this weekend! I'd planned on a full weekend of shopping for school supplies & uniforms but with DD feeling punky, we opted to stay in all weekend instead & I decided to cook & bake.

Happy that I still managed to get out & pick up all her supplies & order a heavy duty backpack for this year. Our list is down to the stuff she has to be there to try on - pants, shorts & shoes.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?

I am grateful for many, many things.

I am grateful that my move is DONE. We are in our new place, and completely out of the old one. I am exhausted, and wishing I had taken today off, too, but it's good to no longer be bouncing back and forth to pick up essentials for days and days and days.

I am grateful that STBXAH met my gentleman friend last week, and although he was apparently kind of a jerk, nobody tried to punch anyone and I am just so relieved that I don't have that hanging over my head as a future event anymore.

I am grateful that my DD13 had a wonderful time at camp, and grateful that she was able to catch a ride home with her friend's family when I unexpectedly got stuck at home trying to wrap up the move.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Yep day 13!! - grateful for the Quit app - it's definitely gotten me through some tougher moments. Feeling GOOD! Also grateful for bucking up and getting some much needed bike maintenance done.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

WOOHOO Wisconsin - moving is such a long, thankless chore. So glad you are past the worst of it!

fire - that's pretty darn cool. I didn't use a tracker years ago but I plugged in my #'s just to see how many cigs I've skipped in 10 years & WHAT!!!???? 76,758!

That figure seems completely outrageous, but I know it isn't!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Grateful for this place.

Man, I woke up angry. Angry at my job, at God, at a couple friends, at my crazy SIL, at XABF, and at myself. Then I got all teary eyed and worried about my family.

I'm on Wellbutrin for quitting smoking, and have been feeling pretty great in general (hmm...) but today is just WTF!? Then I feel guilty for having a crappy day for no reason. Then I try to rationalize my crappy day. Hormones?! Slacking in recovery?! Then I try to talk myself out of my crappy day. There are so many people way worse off. You are upset about nothing. Buck up.

Then, I get on here, and am reminded that a crappy day is just a crappy day. It is temporary, I cannot rationalize my feelings when there is nothing obvious going on, and I can take care of myself by being good to me, feeling them, and then letting them go.

THanks SR <3 SO grateful.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

fb, it's really amazing what a difference it makes when you DO realize that all that stuff is only weather, and it will change like the weather, isn't it? Another gift of recovery...

Along those lines, I got this in my email from the "Tiny Buddha" web site:
How to Feel Better (Without Forcing Yourself to Be Positive)

For myself, today I am grateful for the enormous hollyhock w/white flowers on it that has grown up beside my living room window. It's just lovely, and I feel glad every time I see it (plus it makes me grateful for the guy I found who cleaned my gutters for a very reasonable price; w/o his services, the overflow likely would have trashed the plant long before now).