I left my AH

Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wisconcin...thank you so much...I have been feeling like I am being twisted around by him....I had been in his manipulation for so long...the crazy train, I like that concept...I do see a therapist...I saw her about 3 weeks ago...told me I should starting acting on my plan B...I will schedule another appointment once I get settled in my new apartment..I am not sure if he will try to get me back this time...I have a feeling that he had an ex girlfriend in the background..
I know me and my boys will be better in the long run...but my heart is breaking right now...
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sad, you've gotten a lot of good advice here; I just wanted to post the link to this thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-reposted.html

which you may have already seen, but it's a good reminder anyway. Wisconsin's post really seems to echo your current situation; I'm glad you thought so too. Forewarned is forearmed!

And yes, check into that name change for yourself--I don't feel like it's right for me to address you as "Sad"! I kind of liked that "BraveinTX" one that another member posted...
Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadInTX View Post
I am not sure if he will try to get me back this time...I have a feeling that he had an ex girlfriend in the background..
Well, stranger things have happened, for sure! I left six months ago, and my STBXAH has not asked me to come home at all (thank GAWD). His pride lies in places that make it very difficult for him to do something like that.

But...I wouldn't assume that having a woman in the wings or in the background precludes him trying again with you. Think about the kind of man we're dealing with here. Just keep your guard up and your radar on high alert for now. And I totally agree--get back in with your counselor. You are very vulnerable right now, and if you can see the counselor weekly for awhile, I think that would help a lot.

And until you do decide on a username change, I will think of you as TXbadass!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It sounds like in an odd way it was good for you to be able to confirm, with that lunch with him, that he is for sure not going to change...

I just cringed reading the "well I will stop drinking but that is only one part- what are you going to do to change?" line. My xAH NEVER complained about my behavior UNTIL or UNLESS I addressed his drinking and THEN there were endless criticisms of how "mean" I was and that he had to drink to cope with my "abuse".

You and your kids deserve the peace you have created for them! You're amazingly strong!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

One of the best gifts this place gave me during early recovery was the realization that I was not the only person who was called "abusive" by her qualifier. That insult from STBXAH was like a punch to the gut for me. When I first heard it, I absolutely agonized over it. Was he right? Was I being abusive? The mere thought absolutely chilled my blood--that I could be abusing someone and not even know it. Then I came here and realized what a common tactic it is for addicts. I still made sure to check my motives and be honest with myself about my own damaging behavior, but I stopped worrying that I was in reality an abusive sociopath, and didn't even know it. Because THAT'S how crazy I had become in the worst of it. I actually thought that maybe I was an abusive sociopath.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I actually thought that maybe I was an abusive sociopath.
You're a lawyer. We're easily mistaken for abusive sociopaths.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You're a lawyer. We're easily mistaken for abusive sociopaths.

I'm a *recovering* lawyer! But your point is still totally valid!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bless your heart. Its hard, it's painful, and sometimes seems like an unclimbable mountain. But you're doing it and for the right reasons. There were times after I left my xah that I felt guilt for not trying to do more to save my marriage. The truth is that I went overboard to the point of hurting myself. He was the one refusing to do what was necessary to save the marriage. Still to this day, even after a couple of texts that he misses me, he isn't going to AA. Once again, he can do it on his own. There hasn't been real change, imagine that! Well, I won't be there when going it alone fails for the millionth time. I'm out of his way -- permanently.
I'm so proud of you for doing the hard thing. You will persevere through all of the bumps in the road because none of those bumps will be as difficult as living with an active alcoholic and abuser. Peace is coming if you haven't already begun to experience it!
I hope you can find a way to limit contact because it will make the transition so much easier for you. Its so wonderful to finally figure out we DON'T have to live like that... Tight hugs and many prayers!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
One of the best gifts this place gave me during early recovery was the realization that I was not the only person who was called "abusive" by her qualifier. That insult from STBXAH was like a punch to the gut for me. When I first heard it, I absolutely agonized over it. Was he right? Was I being abusive? The mere thought absolutely chilled my blood--that I could be abusing someone and not even know it. Then I came here and realized what a common tactic it is for addicts. I still made sure to check my motives and be honest with myself about my own damaging behavior, but I stopped worrying that I was in reality an abusive sociopath, and didn't even know it. Because THAT'S how crazy I had become in the worst of it. I actually thought that maybe I was an abusive sociopath.
That is how I feel exactly! How gave I been abusive..mean..where can I improve..do better...but it is just a defensive tactic...another try of gim wanting to control me...but it didnt work...
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katchie View Post
Bless your heart. Its hard, it's painful, and sometimes seems like an unclimbable mountain. But you're doing it and for the right reasons. There were times after I left my xah that I felt guilt for not trying to do more to save my marriage. The truth is that I went overboard to the point of hurting myself. He was the one refusing to do what was necessary to save the marriage. Still to this day, even after a couple of texts that he misses me, he isn't going to AA. Once again, he can do it on his own. There hasn't been real change, imagine that! Well, I won't be there when going it alone fails for the millionth time. I'm out of his way -- permanently.
I'm so proud of you for doing the hard thing. You will persevere through all of the bumps in the road because none of those bumps will be as difficult as living with an active alcoholic and abuser. Peace is coming if you haven't already begun to experience it!
I hope you can find a way to limit contact because it will make the transition so much easier for you. Its so wonderful to finally figure out we DON'T have to live like that... Tight hugs and many prayers!
Thank you!! I am actually packing today...by myself while he is at work and his kids are at school. 12 pack of beer in the frig..only 4 left...well that no drinking solution didnt stick...makes it easier on my part...I am sad my marriage is ending...ending of hopes and dreams of a family together...but I am getting excited about starting fresh...new...and my boys are very happy about us not going back...I gas thought for a brief moment if we could resolve this what woyld I say to my boys to make it okay for them? I came up with nothing... Thanks everyone.back to packing...