Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 1

Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Grateful for the time to enjoy my clean house.
Grateful that I got all my errands run early.
Grateful for a quiet night at home helping DS6 decorate his Valentine mailbox and get his cards ready for school.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Grateful for the amazing show I saw last evening at one of our local music clubs. I had never been to this place before, looked kind of sketchy on the outside, but I was meeting a group of people there so knew I would be safe. The show featured 3 different artists, all of them so talented. Nothing better than good live music!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Happy and grateful for yet another nice, peaceful weekend. My daughters and I are really under the gun over the next month to prepare for the anime convention. We made a lot of good progress this weekend on their costumes, and just generally had a lot of fun together.

Happy and grateful for a nice, long talk on the phone with my brother on Friday. We don't talk often, so it's always good to catch up.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

So grateful for people who say "thank you" with gifts of chocolate.... yum, yum, yum!

Happy for the things that sometimes stress me out - the dishes in the sink that show we have food in our bellies, the utility bills that mean we have running water & electricity, etc.

Happy to have spent Saturday with DD, playing in the dirt at a U-Pick Farm locally. We picked 5 lbs of strawberries & used about half of them to make a delicious strawberry pie.

Beyond grateful for emergency workers of all kinds - the farm had a family day planned & DD was able to watch an amazing presentation by our local fire dept. They simulated a car crash & showed the kids how they use the jaws of life & other tools to save the life of the person trapped inside. They broke through every window & cut off all doors & removed the roof to show them all the ways they have to move fast to save lives. Simply amazing!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Happy that my team won last night. I do not like football at all, and Broncos are my favorite team because 1) horse is my favorite animal and they have a horse logo; 2) I love orange-blue color combination; 3) P. Manning is kinda cute .
So I guess that is how you pick a winner.

I am grateful I'll be able to finish a project on time ans send an invoice tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Gleefully, blissfully grateful and happy that the cosplay documentary project my DD16 is a part of has introduced us to a new friend. The young woman who comes to film DD16 (and to a much lesser extent, me) is such a delight. She messaged me today to offer me two free tickets to see Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour on Valentine's Day. Words cannot even begin to express how much I adore Henry Rollins. I have never seen him on a spoken word tour, which has been on my bucket list for YEARS. Even better, my new gentleman friend will be available to use the second ticket.

A year ago, we NEVER would have applied to be a part of this documentary project. We NEVER would have wanted someone in our home, filming. DD16 NEVER would have wanted to be up here often enough to get everything done. Just another way recovery has blessed all of our lives.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that it's sunny and not raining today. We have discovered that the roof over our extension is leaking, the roofer can't get here till next week. Sunny days till then would be good!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Grateful for new fishing rods and some sunny days in a row!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Gleefully, blissfully grateful and happy that the cosplay documentary project my DD16 is a part of has introduced us to a new friend. The young woman who comes to film DD16 (and to a much lesser extent, me) is such a delight. She messaged me today to offer me two free tickets to see Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour on Valentine's Day. Words cannot even begin to express how much I adore Henry Rollins. I have never seen him on a spoken word tour, which has been on my bucket list for YEARS. Even better, my new gentleman friend will be available to use the second ticket.

A year ago, we NEVER would have applied to be a part of this documentary project. We NEVER would have wanted someone in our home, filming. DD16 NEVER would have wanted to be up here often enough to get everything done. Just another way recovery has blessed all of our lives.
Dudewoman. This is SO incredibly cool!!!

Today I am elated to get my office desk & work area organized. I cannot work productively in the middle of chaos & everyone else around here creates a LOT of chaos. I'm feeling so much lighter with just some simple purging & reorganization AND I got to spend time shopping for solutions in the office supply store..... which is my weird version of fun sometimes.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I got to spend time shopping for solutions in the office supply store..... which is my weird version of fun sometimes.
I totally and absolutely get this! It is delightful to find just exactly the thing(s) that will fix the problem/make things better/fill you w/happiness each time you use it/them!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Glad it's not just me that has a decorative organization fetish, lol.
Grateful that the disputed transaction on my credit card was removed ($600 to American Airlines in Dallas, TX in Jan.) and that the bank has been extremely helpful about issuing a new card and updating my security measures. I haven't used that one since I put a bunch of expenses related to my custody case on it and I have been paying it off, so seeing that money added to the balance nearly stopped my heart last month.
Grateful for an excellent Alanon meeting this morning. I SO needed it. Missed 2 in a row and was definitely feeling the burn.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I love office supply stores . . . a bit too much

Grateful I got paid today and grateful for a promising weather forecast. Goodbye winter!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Y'all mommas will understand this....I'm so grateful my almost three year old finally pooped in the potty-and not in her panties!! She's been pee trained for months but just has flat out refused to poop in the potty-so dinner time has been entertaining to say the least as 6:30 is her poop time while we are all eating. Yikes. So, last night was her first time-and I truly hope this momma is done washing panties every night so today, I'm grateful for poop.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
A work in progress

SOOO grateful I have found a new lawyer for my case (cracked foundation) after the news that my old lawyer, who's been with me on this deal since it all started in 2009, has been ordered by his doctor to retire. I met the new guy this morning at a diner--I'd given my old lawyer permission for him to take the file and review it. He seems very smart, he understands what I'm hoping to get out of this (and seems to think we've got a good shot at getting it--and without too much more time and money). He's agreed to a reasonable fee (discounted as "professional courtesy"--common between lawyers) and a reasonable retainer.

I met him at a nearby diner this morning and brought him over to the house to look at it.

I mean, how can I NOT love someone who's already referring to my home as "the crackhouse"?? He's got a quick wit and given my former lawyer's health problems (and my engineer's, as well), I told him I was thinking maybe I should insist on a medical report before I retain him. He shot back a funny email about how "no doctor's note needed, I'm not running for president and I'm familiar with modern, hip abbreviations such as BTDT." (I had used it in my email to which he was replying.)

My kinda guy. Considering how unpleasant this whole lawsuit business is, having someone easy to work with is pure gold for me.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Great news Lexi - fingers crossed for you!

I don't think I shared this happy - last week DD got surprised with schedule/class changes in school. In a nutshell, it's a great academic move for her & it's great that the school took time mid-year to assess & make changes vs. letting it ride, because it WILL benefit her in the long run. But..... the necessary changes really jacked up the electives that she fought so hard for in the first part of the year. She's dedicated to the arts as much as academics so getting reassigned to some random gym class was not acceptable.

She spent 2 class periods with her guidance counselor, negotiating new schedules until they found something that worked on all sides. She had to ask for special permission from the teacher to move up a level in her theater class, making her the only 6th grader in a 7th grade class. It sounds like she stayed calm, presented her POV logically. Her counselor actively listened & respected that she wasn't whining in discomfort, but had a vested interest in these classes & worked hard to make it happen for her. She worked through the weekend to make sure she was caught up on the newer, accelerated classwork & emailed her teachers to give them the heads up on her changing classes. She followed up on field trips & assignments & projects actively happening in the new/old classes to make sure nothing fell through the cracks.

No one called me to mediate for her, she did it 100% on her own. She was exhausted & had to rehash it a few times that evening to really feel validated that she'd made the best decisions with what she had available, but I was more than happy to nod & smile & reassure her.

I. Am. So. Proud.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's AMAZING, FS--what great experience for her! I'm so glad the counselor worked with her on it and listened. I was well into adulthood before I was really comfortable with that sort of thing. Good for her--AND good for YOU. Obviously you are raising that kid to be nobody's doormat.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

FireSprite, that is wonderful and amazing! I don't know that I could handle that situation that well now, as an adult--and it would have been completely unimaginable when I was her age!

She is so fortunate to have a mentor and role model like you.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Thanks Ladies - I was the same way, unable to manage this kind of stuff without HUGE stress until I was well into adulthood. She's 11! I was blown away that she actively made the decision to tough out a 7th grade classroom mid-year vs. shrinking away & giving the elective up completely.

At her age, I would have accepted the initially assigned changes & cried myself to sleep over it because that was the way my mother handled it. I have actively taken DD by the hand alongside me so she can witness me standing up for me/her so many times..... it really DOES matter what we SHOW our kids more than what we SAY.

I'm emailing her counselor today too - I want to acknowledge how respectfully he handled her situation. SO thankful, once again, for the village that continues to help my child!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

At her age, I would have accepted the initially assigned changes & cried myself to sleep over it because that was the way my mother handled it.

Ugh, yeah. Same here. I would have eaten that crap sandwich and then brooded endlessly over the taste it left in my mouth. That is awesome to see how a strong recovery can help us give our kids the tools we didn't have to navigate life. I'm so glad to read how your daughter handled that.
Grateful that I have been given yet another chance to test my own recovery. My mom had her annual February psychotic break (there's one every February and one every October like clockwork, with other random ones sprinkled throughout the year). I had a front row seat to it today and actually had to order her to leave my home because she got verbally abusive and crazy with ridiculous accusations. My heart was pounding afterward and I was upset, but I let myself feel what I was feeling, didn't take it personally (hard when your mother is accusing you of being an impostor, invalidating your whole existence) and went about my daily business- took DS6 to the library, got some writing done, folded the laundry. Feeling better now.
Grateful that I did the 5 a.m. hot yoga session this morning and got that hour of peace before the day kicked off. My intention for today's practice was "dependability."
Old 02-11-2016, 02:12 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

I love reading this thread, it makes me smile

I am grateful that I discovered Al-Anon. I went to my fourth meeting last night and things that two people in particular said clicked. A topic that one person was talking about broke my heart, I felt awful for her. But I realised that I've felt a lot of similar feelings myself however when I feel them I am not kind to myself, I beat myself up over it. But when this other person said she was feeling them I really felt for her. I need to be kinder to myself I realise. I've been doing the best I can (I've made mistakes, of course, who hasn't) but overall I think I do try my best. That's all I should expect from myself.

Yep, I'm just grateful for the kind, warm, loving people I have met at Al-Anon over the last few weeks.

Also grateful for the brochure from my favourite jeweller that came in the mail this morning. I mean, who wouldn't feel happy looking at pages of pretty things while having their morning coffee