"Today's Hope"

Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

JANUARY 29

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.
- Tony Robbins

DAILY REFLECTION:

Change Myself

Yesterday, I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today, I am wise, so I am changing myself.
– Rumi

When others behave in ways I don’t like, or don’t do the things that I think they should, I can feel powerless. Usually, I can’t change them to act “correctly”. As Rumi suggests, the path of wisdom to change my response or reaction instead. One way for me to do that is to accept others as they are, recognizing that they are unlikely to change just to suit me. We will explore acceptance in our next podcast episode. Please be sure to tune in for it.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

JANUARY 30

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Everyone believes that their beliefs are the right ones - that is why they are called beliefs.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:

Love

Love doesn't just sit there like a stone: it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new.
--Ursula K. Le Guin

Everyone could use a new batch of love every day. Way too often, we forget to make a new batch. Then we end up eating hard, old, crumbly stuff that doesn't even taste good. We forget to talk with the people we love. We tell ourselves that they should "know" we love them, even if we haven't called to connect with them for a long time. So we expect them to live off hard, old, dry crumbs too!

But baking a fresh batch of love is a lot easier than baking bread. All we have to do is make a phone call, write a letter or an email, or stop by our mom's house. We need to deliver the message that the people we love are important. What could be easier or more rewarding?

Higher Power, help me remember that love is a verb - something I do, not something that can be given once and stored forever. Help me be active in loving the important people in my life.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I sought out this thread just now wanting something uplifting but valuable and I got it. Thanks again for doing this every day.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You are most welcome, walking--posting this is a pleasure for me.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

JANUARY 31

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to.
- Lao Tzu

DAILY REFLECTION:
The first skill needed for the Inner Game is called "letting it happen." This means gradually building a trust in the innate ability of your body to learn and to perform.
- W. Timothy Gallwey

A strange and intriguing mystery confronts us in the Twelve Steps. We are mending our ways; we are becoming accountable; we are striving to do what is right, yet we are learning to let go. This seems like a contradiction of logic, but it leads us to a spiritual awakening.

We are becoming like the accomplished tennis player who has practiced diligently to develop every detail of his skill. Yet when he is playing the game, he cannot focus on control. He must get his ego out of the way and let himself go. It is in letting go that he rises to his highest level of fulfillment. Today we will do what we must. We can make the choices we are faced with. Then we allow ourselves to be carried along by our Higher Power to complete and fulfill the process.

I will look for opportunities to let it happen today.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Honeypig, thank you for posting everyday.

You are appreciated!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You're welcome, Opivotal--I enjoy doing so. It was someone here, quite some time ago, who first posted a link to the original "Today's Hope" site. I'm glad to have an opportunity to share their daily ES&H w/my friends here at SR!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

FEBRUARY 1

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Our business in life is not to get ahead of other people, but to get ahead of ourselves.
--Maltbie D. Babcock

DAILY REFLECTION:
Faith

When I falter in my faith I falter on my path.

If I allow myself to wallow in self-pity or become consumed with despair, I fall short of the plans that my Higher Power holds for me.

By making a conscious effort to keep a daily contact with God through prayer and quiet reflection, I choose to walk in faith instead of wander in chaos and pain.

When I find myself becoming overwhelmed with my day-to-day life, consumed with questions, concerns, and lost for answers, I must make time to connect with my Higher Power and renew my faith in his plan.

"Dear God, help me to stay close to you. Help me to walk in faith and hope as I let go of pain and despair."

Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

^ so timely for me right now. Thank you!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

FEBRUARY 2

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. *
- Joseph Campbell

DAILY REFLECTION:
Being yourself

People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
– Mother Theresa

Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Love this one!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

FEBRUARY 3

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Perfectionism is not a quest for the best. It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough.
- Julia Cameron

DAILY REFLECTION:
One Life
I used to spend so much time reacting and responding to everyone else that my life had no direction. Other people's lives, problems, and wants set the course for my life. Once I realized it was okay for me to think about and identify what I wanted, remarkable things began to take place in my life.
- Melody Beattie

I Can Be Me
I have one life I can do something about and that life is mine. I have one mind through which to think the next right thought, one heart through which to experience the next feeling, and one body through which to take the next right action. I have spent too many years feeling overwhelmed by other people's problems, hurt by other people's actions, and baffled by other people's behaviors. When I feel stuck in that reactive mode of reasoning, I will say to myself I don't have to stay here. I will remind myself that other people's actions are theirs; they are about them and not me. If they are wrong actions, they will have to correct them. I am accountable and responsible for my actions only. I can do little about another's actions but I can do everything about my actions and reactions to others. Today, I will set my own course, based on my own inner impulses, needs, dreams, and abilities.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

FEBRUARY 4

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The affirmation that I was hurt, not broken, was the doorway to embracing Al-Anon.
-- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
One Day at a Time
I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time. *
--Charles Schulz

Living one day at a time is a big project. Most of us have just enough faith, patience, and courage to last 24 hours. We all seem to be in need of a daily refueling.

Living in today helps keep our lives balanced and simple. At first, we may need to practice staying in the present. We may find that we need to keep bringing ourselves back to today from yesterday or tomorrow.

There is nothing that will happen today that we can't, with God's help, manage.

Today let me keep my feet firmly planted in the bedrock of the present, my only reality.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks HP! LOVE that photo.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

FEBRUARY 5

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Let me remember that the reason for making amends is to free my own mind of uneasiness.
-- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
You will forget your misery; you will remember it as waters that have passed away. *
-- Job 11:16

Many of us have painful memories we carry with us like pictures in a wallet. We keep these memories alive through feelings generated by those moments. Why are we so attached to unpleasant memories?

It's difficult to let go of memories, no matter how unpleasant. Sometimes they're a reminder of the past, but more often we clutch them because we're afraid to feel pleasant feelings today. Because the program is working in our lives, we have fewer painful times now. That may not be comfortable, so we invent new pain or dredge up the sludge of the past. As ugly as it may be, it's still familiar.

We don't have to look back. We don't have to feel misery or pain because it's familiar. We don't have to drag out that wallet and look at the images of unhappy times again. We can leave those spaces in our wallets empty, ready to be filled with new moments to remember.

I can try to make some new moments to remember. I don't need to look back anymore.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks honeypig...
This is something I've been struggling with lately.
With AH out of my life now, except for the interactions we've had regarding the kids...
my personal life is drama-free... it is predictable. And although I am so thankful for this, and it is such a relief to me... I do find myself almost missing the chaos, the emotional highs and lows, and have sought it out on a few occasions lately.

....Working on it

Thanks for posting.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Kboys, I know what you mean. I find myself drawn into memories of the past, into endless pointless discussions w/myself trying to figure out how this or that could happen, why such and so really was, etc. I find myself wanting to contact XAH "to talk", to find out what was true and what was not. This especially happens during the hours alone in the car for my job.

And then I remember what I've learned here, and I recognize it for what it is, and I say to myself, "Self, wouldn't you rather listen to your Brene Brown audiobook or your Jeffrey Deaver novel or the Grateful Dead CDs you brought? Or how about noticing how cool the silhouettes of those oak trees in a field are against the sunset? Wouldn't any of those things be a lot more pleasant?" And you know, they always are!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks

Grateful Dead always makes me happy too!!

For me it's the time in between when the kids go to sleep and when I go to sleep... It's quiet and I'm alone.
Initially I was doing okay and distracting myself with the tv shows that I wanted to watch, pampering myself with a pedicure or face mask... the things I never did with AH around, but lately I've had a harder time.

I need to find some Brene Brown tonight... think that's what I'll do.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

For me it's the time in between when the kids go to sleep and when I go to sleep... It's quiet and I'm alone.

Yeah, that's what it is--I work 2nd shift, and as the day is ending and I'm going to be spending the next several hours on the freeway, in the dark, by myself, I start to go down the hole. Weekends can be that way too if I'm not careful.

I'm someone who likes to allow myself some room, not to schedule things too tight, but for now, it seems that things go better if I keep myself busy. Time on my hands, especially towards the end of the day, can send me down the hole really quickly. It's not always that way; I've had some calm, beautiful, spacious times in the evening w/my dogs and the "fake fire" stove and the owls calling from the big pine outside. But it's good to know the the demons for what they are when they show up and to know how to send them back out the door!