"Today's Hope"

Old 07-15-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

July 15

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The quality of life is in how we view it. We see a miserable, evil, and threatening world when we look through unhappy eyes. We see a vibrant, exciting, and hopeful world through joyful eyes. *
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:

It does make a difference what you call things.
- Kate Douglas Wiggin

Most of us think of dandelions as weeds. We buy special tools and poisons when they crop up and complain about them as surely as we welcome the spring that brings them.

Yet is there anything more lovely than a sea of yellow dandelions by the side of the road in June? Or as remarkable in transformation as the filaments of the mature dandelion blowing on the wind?

Sometimes we let someone else define for us what are weeds and what are flowers. We don't have to. Much of the beauty of the world is that we ourselves decide what is beautiful according to our own feelings. How lucky we are that, when we choose to, we can open our eyes and see!

Can I see the beauty in those around me right now?

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Old 07-15-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The quality of life is in how we view it. We see a miserable, evil, and threatening world when we look through unhappy eyes. We see a vibrant, exciting, and hopeful world through joyful eyes. *
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:

It does make a difference what you call things.
- Kate Douglas Wiggin

Most of us think of dandelions as weeds. We buy special tools and poisons when they crop up and complain about them as surely as we welcome the spring that brings them.

Yet is there anything more lovely than a sea of yellow dandelions by the side of the road in June? Or as remarkable in transformation as the filaments of the mature dandelion blowing on the wind?

Sometimes we let someone else define for us what are weeds and what are flowers. We don't have to. Much of the beauty of the world is that we ourselves decide what is beautiful according to our own feelings. How lucky we are that, when we choose to, we can open our eyes and see!

Can I see the beauty in those around me right now?

Hmmm . . . it is myself that I have a hard time being positive about. I'm going to try to try to see the Dandelions of my being as flowers rather than weeds. Thanks HP
Old 07-16-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

July 16

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Life only appears to be rushing toward us. Perhaps life is not as threatening as it appears. Perhaps the greatest threat to our serenity is our fear of the future - our fear of the unknown. Perhaps, as Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:

We all carry it within us--supreme strength, the fullness of wisdom, unquenchable joy. It is never thwarted and cannot be destroyed. But it is hidden deep, which is what makes life a problem.
- Huston Smith

How does one lose touch with his strength, his wisdom, and his joy? Perhaps it is in the nature of humanity. Our most profound qualities are hidden deep. They never go away, but we cannot always find them. There may be nothing wrong with us when we lose touch. It doesn't have to mean that we are "bad" for getting depressed or for feeling inadequate. Who doesn't have that problem? It is the nature of life that we sometimes feel this way. This program helps us unearth the resources hidden within us.

When we cannot find those reassuring feelings of strength and wisdom and joy, we may think they are gone forever. We even doubt we ever had them or could have them again. But they are still there. They cannot be destroyed. And when we regain contact, we know they have been with us all along.

I will have faith that the innermost places in me can never be destroyed.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

July 17

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The lessons of the past provide the path to the future.
- Anonymous

DAILY REFLECTION:

What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding, every second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath.
- Thomas Crum

So many of us avoid living in the present moment. We worry about the future.

Daydreaming and pondering are necessary in moderation, but we try to stay in the present moment for most of the day. To do this, we return to the most basic element - our breath. We concentrate on taking deep breaths. Barring a respiratory disorder, breathing is simple. When we return to the simplicity of breathing, we automatically simplify our life by focusing only on what's happening to one part of our body in one moment in time.

Today, when I have trouble living in the present, I will concentrate on my breathing.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

July 18

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Clean your finger before you point at my spots.
- Benjamin Franklin

DAILY REFLECTION:
Mistakes

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.
- Frank Zappa

Yesterday I accidentally hit my car against a pillar and ended up having a dent in it that will be expensive to fix. Thanks to my progress in recovery, I was able to remain calm and not get angry at myself – at least, mostly. Despite being able to mostly maintain my serenity, I still realized that part of me still felt ashamed. And underneath that shame was a fear that the people around me would believe that I am incapable and untrustworthy because I made this mistake.

I kept trying to fight this shame, but the more I fought it, the more I started to lose the serenity I had. Finally I stopped fighting it just accepted this shame and fear as part of myself for right now. Once I was able to do this, I was able to let go of it, trust in my Higher Power, and move forward. For me, that meant getting estimates from a few places and figuring out where to take my car. As I did this, I realized I was being open about what happened and I was taking responsibility for my actions. This helped me realize that I am trustworthy and capable, and just like that, my shame disappeared.

Before this, I thought the only want to be a good person was to be perfect all the time. I am so grateful that I had this experience because I grew to learn that I am still a good and capable person because I am able to make mistakes and still love myself while doing the next right thing. This helped me to have more faith in myself. If I had not deviated from the norm, through this accident, I would not have been able to grow in that way. And the scratch on the car was totally worth it

Old 07-19-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

July 19

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Begin with your own inner peace. Then use that inner peace as a platform from which to approach the outer world with perspective, understanding, and patience.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:
The Present Moment

The present moment is the only moment available to us, and it is the door to all moments.
- Thich Nhat Hanh

I am reminded that when I am frantic or worried, I am often trying to change the past or control the future. Either way, I am focusing on what I cannot control and ignoring the present moment. This quote reminds me that, in the present, I am able to act. I use the past to reflect and draw knowledge from experiences so that I can make better choices in the present. And the future, I prepare for (but not worry or obsess about) in the present. This is what makes the present so important and precious, for me – the fact that it is occurring right now, at this very second. And every second is a new present moment that allows me another opportunity to greet life with serenity.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

July 20

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Al-Anon gives me the opportunity to retrieve all the broken, scattered aspects of myself and offer them to God to piece together into wholeness.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Fear

The other day I was talking to one of my closest friends. We were having a conversation about fear when he turned to me and said, "I can't imagine you being afraid of anything." I was surprised by his comment and for a moment pleased. It was nice to be regarded as someone secure enough and strong enough to not have fears but the truth is, I have many.

Some of my fears are substantial and worthy of my concern. Others are just like anyone else's--silly little things that might make another person laugh.

But sometimes fear is a good thing. Sometimes fear shows up when we know, deep in our soul, that we are making a decision that goes against our greater good. Fear can be a warning that we are moving down the wrong path, that we have strayed in the wrong direction. It can help to indicate when we should stop to seek experience, strength, and hope before moving forward.

I have learned that sometimes it is good to listen to my fear and that my fear lets me know loud and clear that I am making a decision that is not in my best interest.

Dear God, help me to see your path. Help me to stay the course and listen to my fear if it is a warning that directs me away from pain, trouble, or conflict.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

July 21

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
You don’t have to suffer continual chaos in order to grow.
- John C. Lilly

DAILY REFLECTION:
Attitudes

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
- Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

I really appreciate this quote *because it reminds me that, when I feel like a victim or I feel like I have no choices, I become my own problem. My attitude towards the situation molds reality for me – this is what I learned in recovery. Ironically, the first time I heard this, I got scared and felt hopeless. But thanks to the additional gifts of the program, I was able to be grateful for this new perspective on my life. If I was my problem, then I could also be the solution.

Thanks to this, I was able to change my attitude. Now I am more solution-oriented and try to be focused on the solution and not the problem. And sometimes I make mistakes, but rather than seeing my mistakes as problems, I am able to be grateful for those times and take them as learning opportunities. My changed attitudes have changed my life!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

July 22

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Smile and the world smiles with you.
- Anonymous

DAILY REFLECTION:

I ask that You might help me work through all my problems, to Your Glory and Honor.
- Alcoholics Anonymous

Many of us lived in situations where it wasn't okay to identify, have, or talk about problems. Denial became a way of life - our way of dealing with problems.

In recovery, many of us still fear problems. We may spend more time reacting to a problem than we do to solving it. We miss the point; we miss the lesson; we miss the gift. Problems are a part of life. So are solutions.

In recovery, we learn to focus on solving our problems. First we make certain the problem is our problem. If it isn't, our problem is establishing boundaries. Then we seek the best solution. This may mean setting a goal, asking for help, gathering more information, taking an action, or letting go.

Face and solve today's problems. Don't worry needlessly about tomorrow's problems, because when they appear, we'll have the resources necessary to solve them.

God, help me face and solve my problems today. Help me do my part and let the rest go. I can learn to be a problem-solver.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

July 23

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.
- Lao Tzu

DAILY REFLECTION:
Let Go and Let God

Where I am in my life right now I have to remember this slogan more and more. I want to control my family and make them perfect, but I also realize that it can not happen, at least not that way. When I get to "that place" I take a break - THINK - and then Let Go and Let God.

My son is going through some bad stuff right now, mostly anger, and after talking to a family counselor I realize that I have to finally admit to myself that I cannot fix the problem. I need help. My son needs help. So I keep going back to that slogan, Let Go and Let God. It's not easy to admit that I can't fix it when I know that his life would be so much better if he would just admit his problem. I found help and I hope that some day he does too.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

July 24

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Let it begin with me: When anyone, anywhere reaches out for help - let the hand of Al-Anon & Alateen always be there and - Let It Begin With Me.

DAILY REFLECTION:
Love is an expression and assertion of self-esteem.
- Ayn Rand

How easily we love others when we feel self-assured, when we're comfortable in our chosen work, with our families and friends, with our directions in life. But the way isn't always smooth, nor should it be, and for this we can thank God, our protector and mentor.

The challenges of a rough passage confront us when it's time to grow. Seldom do we cherish the growing, and yet the gifts promised by these challenges - the increased self-awareness, the heightened sensitivity to others, the greater humility - make every moment that lies ahead profoundly more personal.

Hindsight is convincing. The paradox is that the more we trip, but pick ourselves up and move ahead with determination, the more self-assured and thus loving we'll become.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Let it begin with me: When anyone, anywhere reaches out for help - let the hand of Al-Anon & Alateen always be there and - Let It Begin With Me.

DAILY REFLECTION:
Love is an expression and assertion of self-esteem.
- Ayn Rand

How easily we love others when we feel self-assured, when we're comfortable in our chosen work, with our families and friends, with our directions in life. But the way isn't always smooth, nor should it be, and for this we can thank God, our protector and mentor.

The challenges of a rough passage confront us when it's time to grow. Seldom do we cherish the growing, and yet the gifts promised by these challenges - the increased self-awareness, the heightened sensitivity to others, the greater humility - make every moment that lies ahead profoundly more personal.

Hindsight is convincing. The paradox is that the more we trip, but pick ourselves up and move ahead with determination, the more self-assured and thus loving we'll become.

Thank you for your post. I'm making a commitment to start loving and believing in myself more today and being dedicated to my own recovery.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

2261, can I suggest looking into Louise Hay's work for help with loving and believing in yourself? I'm just finishing "You Can Heal Your Heart" and found a lot in that thin little book. Brene Brown is another person who might have things to say that you'd find useful. Both these authors are readily available at your local library so you can read/listen before buying, and both are available in book or audio format, whichever fits your lifestyle better.

Wishing you strength and clarity.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

July 25

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
If you take the responsibility for your life, you can start changing it.
- Osho

DAILY REFLECTION:
Aloneness

In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.
- Rollo May

Before the program, I used to fear solitude. Any moment I had alone was a moment that I tried to fill with other activities. I would convince myself that I needed to call someone back at exactly that moment or I had to do certain chores just then. Even while driving alone, I couldn’t really be alone. I had to have a talk show on or call someone on the phone. But I couldn’t be alone with my thoughts.

I realize now that I did not want to see myself. I was ashamed and resentful of nearly every part of me and my past. Part of recovery from my codependent and controlling tendencies means more self-awareness and self-acceptance, for me. Now I am able to enjoy my alone time.

Recently, a friend of mine referred to “Aloneness” as “All – Oneness”. That really resonated with me because I am able now to take daily inventory of myself and accept myself for where I am in my program and who I am as an individual. In this way, I am able to feel one with myself rather than fighting with myself or rejecting myself. From this oneness springs the opportunity for me to grow as a person in all aspects of my life.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Interestingly, when I searched on the term "aloneness" looking for a pic for today's reading, virtually everything that came up related to "loneliness." I actually had to specifically exclude the term "loneliness" from my search to find anything useful.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

July 26

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water and breeds reptiles of the mind.
- William Blake

We seek the answer. Sometimes we think we have found a central truth and later learn that beneath it is another truth. Or what seemed so crucial as a guiding principle for our lives last year is still true but not as crucial. It is like trying to take a snapshot of a changing world while the camera itself is changing.

Some of us in our hunger for security grab for "absolute" truths, which are not absolute. We must continue forever to be eager learners. In stepping across a stream from one floating log to another, we must resist the temptation to become overcommitted to staying in an especially secure-looking place, or we will never reach the opposite shore. Even the Twelve Steps of this program are given to us as a "suggested" program of recovery. It is a program that works because it takes us out of our rigid ways. We are continually made new. That is the vitality of the spiritual life.

God, help me to be open to new opinions, to things I had never thought of on my own.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

July 27

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
You cannot deal with the alligators until you drain the swamp and get out of the mud.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
- Arthur Somers Roche

A trickle of water that drains down the side of a hill poses no problem to the hill, its vegetation, or the people living in the valley. But if that trickle grows into a stream, the water will erode a path, carrying along plants, rocks, and soil, endangering the lives and property of the people in the valley.

When a worry nags us, it is like that trickle. It poses little threat to us and can be stopped at any time because it is so small. But if we let more worrisome thoughts feed into the stream, we will allow it to grow until all of our thoughts and energy are focused on one worry that has attained great power.

We all have things we worry about. But we don't have to give these worries more than passing acknowledgment. The trickles that run through our minds are okay to have. But to keep them at that size, we need to remember what is important to us at this very moment. We don't need to let the worries grow.

I have worries just like everyone else. However, I don't have to dwell upon my worries or make them any bigger than what they are.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

July 28

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
- Marcus Aurelius

DAILY REFLECTION:
Letting Go

When you get free from certain fixed concepts of the way the world is, you find it is far more subtle and far more miraculous than you thought it was.
- Alan Watts

I am reminded that often I have preconceived notions about people and behavior. Because of this preconceived notion, I decide that I must act a certain way because of my fear. Due to this, there is often a loop of sick and enabling behavior.

In order to break this loop, I must let go of my preconceived notions, trust myself to the care of my Higher Power, and try to change my behavior and attitudes. For example, the other day, I found myself reacting out of fear because I believed that my friend would behave in a certain way. My instinctive reaction was to be controlling and try to manage his mood. Instead, I realized I had lost my serenity, so I trusted myself to my Higher Power and called my sponsor.

As a result, I did not try to control the situation, and instead I kept my side of the street clean and stayed in my hula hoop rather than trying to change others. My friend then responded in an extremely positive and understanding way – so much better than I ever thought possible

Old 07-30-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

July 29

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

DAILY REFLECTION:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order.
- Eudora Welty

We will experience no coincidence today. All situations that transpire in the next 24 hours have their purpose. No single event, not the tired, hurried smile from a boss, the phone call from a frantic friend, or the cold response from a co-worker is without impact on our current perception of life. However, we shouldn't try to evaluate the full significance of any passing event without God's help. Letting our Higher Power offer us clarity regarding the circumstances in our life will ensure a healthy perspective.

We've all experienced trauma because we exaggerated a problem rather than calmly letting our inner wisdom guide us. We're only an impulsive thought away from a flurry of problems. Likewise, we're only an instant away from peace and enlightenment. The quiet mind will be ever present if that's our wish.

I'll truly understand the events of today if I quietly let God reveal their significance.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

July 30

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Finding inner strength is looking beyond the visible and focusing life’s search on the unseen.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Self-Acceptance and Self-Knowledge

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And wisdom to know the difference.

This well-known prayer expresses some key guidelines to our philosophy of living. One group member explained it this way:

“For me, the things I cannot change are other people, places, and circumstances. The only things I can change are my attitudes, reactions and action toward the people, places and circumstances in my life.

“The wisdom to know the difference, well, that’s a hard one. I don’t always know what I can and cannot change until I try changing it. Wisdom comes by trial and error. The more experience I have, the more understanding, knowledge, and wisdom I have.”

Today I will accept that much of my wisdom can only come through my daily experiences. I need to expect to make some mistakes in my attitudes, actions, and judgment of what I can and cannot change. I will learn to be patient with myself and others as I gain more understanding from my mistakes.