2 years

Old 11-29-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years

Years ago my world was rocked when I discovered that my "sober for a year and a half" husband had secretly relapsed in a spectacular way. It was definitely the lowest point in our lives.

My husband decided to go to a month of Inpatient treatment and following we both attended individual, group, and couples therapy. He did 90 AA meetings in 90 days once he came home, and he still attends 3 mornings a week.

2 years ago I said, we can't go back to the way things were, but we will create a new life that is even better. Although 2 years ago I desperately wanted that to be true, I didn't really know how it could be possible. But now, 2 years later, it has really happened! He is in recovery, my codependency is mostly in check, he is a way better dad and husband, and our marriage is stronger than ever. Last spring, when his young mom died unexpectedly, I worried for his recovery, but he handled things like a champ. It is not a cakewalk for him, at all-I know it takes him conscious dedication each day to stay present, avoid temptation and make good choices, and without him available to "work on" anymore, I have had to redirect my efforts into "working on" myself instead-also not easy, but doable when I take it one week, one day at a time.

I know things could have turned out much differently and still could, but I have gratitude every day that we both are using the tools we have learned to make good lives for ourselves and for our family.

I would never encourage blind hope to anyone, but if you are looking for Hope, know that if everyone WANTS to change and puts in the hard work, each day, it can be done!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, I don't know where my relationship is going because of my alcohol fuelled disaster...but I want to be sober and hope for as good an outcome as you guys! Well done....
Old 11-29-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. My husband is in the throes of relapse now, after a few years sobriety and working a program. While I don't know the future and what I will do, it is always good to hear stories of hope. I'm happy for you and your family.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, there are success stories out there, for sure. My first husband has been sober almost 36 years. He had his rough spots in the beginning, but kept at it, and today there couldn't be a nicer guy. We divorced but are still good friends.

Congrats on all the hard work you've been doing for YOU.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a great story, thank you! It's so helpful to see the good news too. Congrats on your recovery, as well as his.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice to read a story like this. Recovery is a wonderful thing!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Sounds like you both have worked hard on recovery, and you're being rewarded. It's a heart warming thing.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing something hopeful. Great job on your own recovery and on the hard work the two of you have put into rebuilding your life together.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing - I love hearing when people come out the other side. Best to you guys!