Wet brain

Old 11-17-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wet brain

Anyone have experience with this phenomenon? My brother is hospitalized after being found unconscious. He's extremely disoriented mentally and physically. Not speaking clear. Swollen all over even in the mouth. Tox screen shows nothing. Nothing seems to be showing up on the tests.

"A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CB-
You might want to post this on the alcoholism or the new to recovery forum. They might have more of an input on medical conditions if you feel this is alcohol related.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think perhaps clownbaby was looking for a family and friends perspective

I have no personal experience to share CB but I'm wishing the best for your brother.

D
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
Anyone have experience with this phenomenon? My brother is hospitalized after being found unconscious. He's extremely disoriented mentally and physically. Not speaking clear. Swollen all over even in the mouth. Tox screen shows nothing. Nothing seems to be showing up on the tests.

"A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
you could check out this article on it... What Is Wet Brain?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks paddy. I've already read a lot of info. I was just hoping someone could share an experience they had with a loved one. And how to handle it.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never seen it myself but you may want to research also A poisoning, or any other organ failures associated with A toxicity. Wet brain is caused by b1 deficiency mostly and takes a long time to develop (lotsa drinking w/out eating). Sorry to hear of your brother.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have no experience with this, however, just wanted to let you know that I am keeping you and your brother in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Could be Wernickes. Ask about alcoholic keto acidosis also. The swelling? Do you mean edema or swelling from falling? Liver and kidney issues can cause edema.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They didn't find liver or kidney disease...which surprised me. The swelling is edema. The MRI shows some brain shrinkage...but they started Thymine, which is a relief. He's finally eating, but not able to walk.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad they found a cause and a treatment CB - best wishes for your bro

D
Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending love and prayers Clownbaby for your brother and all of your family. ♥
Old 11-19-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Wet brain is also called Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, Korsakoff's psychosis, Wernicke's encephalopathy, and beri beri. The symptoms of wet brain may sometimes improve with therapy but it is often permanent and irreversible. Wet brain is caused by a deficiency of thiamine which is also known as vitamin B1.

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is a brain disorder due to thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency.

Sending love and hugs to you
Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes. Thank you. I was wondering if anyone had seen it first hand so I could compare their experience to what I am going through. I don't know what to tell my brother or the family. I'm just glad he's receiving B1 now at the hospital. He was only getting saline at the other one. I've noticed a little improvement in speech and noted function... Just didn't know if I need to investigate the possibility of receiving disability or if he will be able to live by himself when he is released from the hospital. Thank you for the info. I know about the condition. I'm the one that asked the Doctor if that was in fact was his problem. I just don't know what I can do. I feel helpless.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Honestly, as hard as it is, I don't think you can do anything at this time. It's in Gods' hands (and the doctors) and only time will tell what the outcome will be. You don't have to make any decisions at this time and you really don't have the information you need right now.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry your brother is going through this, and for your family in dealing with this very befuddling disease. It's good there's been some improvement.

Have you been to any Alanon meetings? It's a wonderful program for us, as it takes a toll on us, also. All the small new actions I'm learning have allowed me to change my outlook. I'm gaining peace inside me and letting go of tons of anxiety and unrealistic expectations of myself and others, especially the alcoholic.

http://al-anon.org/find-a-meeting

I'm glad you're here and reaching out. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Clownbaby I was tested for wet brain I had 4 Dr's round my bed scratching thier heads I knew they wasn't joking as it was 4am something like that so I knew they meant it

when they told me they feared wet brain I asked what happens now ? so they sent me for a MRI scan of my brain which came back ok no wet brain I litrelly cried at this point

I was very very lucky id already survived death by fire & I have just missed wet brain

I still take thiamine 28 months in & I'm sure if I carried on drinking, wet brain would definitely set in

Sometimes I think were the Drs trying to scare me then I think 4 Dr's at 4am don't do mri's without good reason

Sending love hugs strenght hope & blessings to you & your brother ClownBaby
Old 11-20-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read The Immortal Alcoholic? It's a woman's blog......Do a search....
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't read that. But I will look into it. Thank you for the suggestion. Not a lot of progress in the hospital. Little to no short term memory & he can't recognize simple objects. He can barely pick up a utensil or navigate the food into his mouth because he's shaking so badly.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

continued prayers CB.