100 Happy Days, Part 2! Any Takers?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I'm waaaaaay behind, so I'll just rattle off a bunch.

I am happy that I made it through the weekend away from all three of my children.

I am happy that all of the kids had nice Thanksgivings.

I am happy that I am now down over 15 pounds since I moved out on September 1. And I'm also happy that making the lifestyle changes that I need to make for better health don't feel nearly as daunting now that I'm away from the constant stress of living in an alcoholic home.

I'm happy that we have a busy few weekends ahead of us, but none of it seems overwhelming and I don't worry about how the drinking is going to impact everything.

I'm so very, very grateful that I filed the divorce papers last week, and that SBTXAH knows about it, and that I have set a firm boundary for myself that I will give him only a set amount of time to review all of the settlement stuff we would need for a stipulated hearing before I just go in and request a pretrial date.

And finally, I am grateful for this morning's beautiful sunrise over Lake Michigan. Not sure if this photo will make it into the post, but here it is...

Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

And...I have another one! Tonight I am very happy and grateful that I've had the opportunity to share my recovery wisdom with someone (outside of SR, anyway). I have a friend who is dealing with a friend who is CLEARLY an alcoholic, based on her description. My friend was very upset about some conflict they had, and I shared some of the most basic pearls of wisdom from this place, including "anybody can say that they care about you...it's the actions that count" and "you can wish someone well in life and never talk to them again if it's what is best for your own peace of mind."

It seemed like my friend appreciated what I shared, and I am happy to leave it at that. What my friend chooses to do, if anything, is my friend's business (and not mine). But it just felt nice to pay it forward a little...
Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

OK, the gratitude post for 11/30--grateful for the mild weather we're having so far. It keeps my heat bills down and makes walking more pleasant for the houndies (especially the basset, since he is a temperature-sensitive creature w/a narrow range of operating conditions). I can remember a December a number of years ago where it seemed like every Monday we had wind, a lot of snow, and really cold temps...it BIT!!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

While I logged more miles on my trusty treadmill (that I have a total love hate relationship with!), I got to watch my girls color beautiful pictures with chalk and see the awe in my youngest's eyes as her big sister taught her how to play bingo and connect four. I had tears in my eyes while running. This is the GOOD stuff....the stuff I'll remember forever.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

This is the GOOD stuff....the stuff I'll remember forever.
So glad for you, Forourgirls! It sure is "the GOOD stuff"!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thankful Mr. Plumber showed up as scheduled today to put in valves to allow me to drain the pipes for the upstairs unit now that XAH is out. As soon as this is done and Mr. P has put antifreeze in the drain traps, I can shut off the heat and save THAT money also. Prior to XAH moving up there, we had only been using it for storage and of course XAH's infamous airplane modeling studio, the site of his daily drinking.

Do you think an exorcism for the upstairs would be appropriate?

(The upstairs is not remotely rentable, even if all of XAH's crap was out of it. XAH tore out the ancient lath and plaster in the bathroom and kitchen over 10 years ago and has not ever gotten around to drywalling. The rest of the plaster is in varying states of disrepair, most windows painted shut, and heater is ancient and on its last legs too. A spring project will be to get a couple of quotes for a bare-bones renovation to see if renting it might be a viable income generator in the future--but squared off against that is the hassle of being a landlord....so nothing is set in stone yet.)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Do you think an exorcism for the upstairs would be appropriate?
Two words: burn sage.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Two words: burn sage.
Five more words: I've got some, will do!!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

55 - Happy for XABF (for a change). I've been no contact for a few weeks, and he wanted me to keep him posted on my dad. I texted him back and forth when we found out last week that dad's brain tumor is growing, and about next steps with them. He is apparently sober 2 weeks - I said I'm happy for him and that was the end of it.

Last night, my parents came up (2 hour drive) for an event with my nephew. My dad is not doing well - it was WAY too much, and this was his last trip here . His legs just can't carry him more than a few steps with a walker now, and he falls easily, and he is a very large man.

My mom was in denial about his ability to travel, and our ability to help him get around - not so anymore. Last night was horrible - so hard - he cannot get around, and my mom and i had a nightmare of a time getting him to the bathroom and into bed. It took 3 hours from the car, through my tiny apartment, into the bedroom. It took 3 hours to get him to the car this AM too. I called XABF because he lives 3 miles away and he came and helped, and we would have been in a very, very bad way without him.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Keeping you and your mom and your dad in my heart, fb. <3
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I'm very far behind; can't believe we're past the halfway point already!!

#50 - So grateful for the BEST thanksgiving we've ever had - no drama, no rushing around, no big meal & the resulting dishes. I've never gotten so much done over this weekend.

#51 - Happy that if, after 13 yrs of Black Friday shopping, IF it was in the cards for me to eventually get into a fight..... at least I won. I'm NOT an aggressive shopper but I won't be bullied or intimidated either. After the incident women stopped me repeatedly for high-5's while I finished my shopping.

#52 - Grateful for all the amazing one-on-one time with DD this weekend & especially grateful that she was with me when I hit Toys R Us that day.... It was 100% spontaneous but after we had checked out & I saw the Toys for Tots collection bins I was overwhelmed thinking of all those kids without & how lucky we are. I asked DD to hold our bags while I ran back & picked up doubles of the games we'd just bought for friends & dropped the entire 2nd bag in the donation bin. On the way out of the store DD said, "That must have made you feel great, mom, I can see you trying not to cry."

#53 - Nothing happier at this time of year than watching my 4-yr old nephew start to finally "get" the Santa thing..... he is wide-eyed & has that half-excited/half-skeptical reaction so far. Watching me, Aunt Fire? ALWAYS?

#54 - Maybe a little too happy for caffeine today - I am exhausted from a very long stretch of purging, cleaning, shopping, organizing, re-organizing, etc. Thank you cherry red bull - I don't need you often, but you never let me down!

#55 - Grateful & ecstatic that my new Yoga Ball Chair arrived at work today & my boss surprised me with an adjustable desk so I can sit on my yoga ball or raise the platform/monitors & stand on my yoga mat while I work!

((((Hugs)))))) & Prayers firebolt!!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

My thoughts are w/you and your family, Firebolt. It's a tough, tough situation. My sister died of metastatic breast cancer several years ago, and her husband and his family were in total denial about what was happening too.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

After the incident women stopped me repeatedly for high-5's while I finished my shopping.
So FireSprite, you have got to tell us what exactly the incident was now!!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Grateful for the return of my muse, if only for a day.
Grateful for a chance to walk.
Grateful for my fluffy plush throw blanket (five bucks, a Goodwill find). It's like a cozy little nest for my desk chair.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
So FireSprite, you have got to tell us what exactly the incident was now!!
Agreed.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Today was a doozy that I am totally grateful for. I'm exhausted-it's almost midnight-but I'm so thankful-to be alive and feel the full range of emotions with no holds. Work was tough-new assignments and new responsibilities-nervous but feeling good driving home. Left my wallet on the top of my car after picking up my youngest. Enter stressed freaked out momma! After searching for two hours with flashlights in the dark and retracing our drive home three times, a nice man called to tell me he had rescued my wallet from the side of the road...my oh my!!! God had my back on that one-no doubt. After getting home I could see the look of disappointment in my oldests eyes as she saw the entire night disappear-tonight I pinky promised her we would spend the whole night decorating our tree-but she figured that was out of the picture seeing as we got home around 9. Nope-not in this house-we live by truth here and don't break pronises-no matter what!! We just got done decorating and after saying prayers for the ups and downs in life, I looked at my daughter and just smiled as she finally sleeps. The struggles are really where you meet God-and truly love out your faith. Just feeling very blessed right now and incredibly fortunate.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Forourgirls, what a great post! So glad for the Good Samaritan who found your wallet and returned it promptly, and so glad you got to make good on that promise to your oldest to decorate the tree.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Grateful for the beginnings of a schedule at my job rather than the random start times spread over a 12-hour period that I've been dealing with since early July. This week is 11 AM to 7 PM all blessed week, *****! Then next week I move on to what should be permanent, 2:30 PM to 10:30 PM, unless/until a route w/more desirable hours comes up and I bid on it.

The dogs are sleeping even tho I'm up, which is not something they've done in I can't remember how long. I'm guessing that they're benefiting from the calmer, more even and positive energy in the house now that XAH is out too.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know, there are a lot more "good" people out there than we sometimes think.

I went to school and worked for much of my career in a city that was #1 on the "most dangerous cities in America" list. The only time I was ever victimized was when I had a GPS stolen from my car (parked directly beneath a sign that said "Prosecutor's Office Staff ONLY."

I accidentally left my debit card in the ATM at the bank there--twice. Both times someone turned it in. Once I left my pocketbook on the train there. When I realized I'd left it, I called the transit company and someone located it. Everything was intact.

I have had things stolen, but more often I get them back.

So glad you got yours back, For, and that you had a fun evening decorating with the kiddos!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful that YESTERDAY I THREW AWAY MY FAT WORK PANTS.

I have lost 16 pounds since I moved out. My fat work pants were in sorry, sorry shape (which is why I tossed them, rather than donate them). But now I can get back into the pants that are a size smaller.