Husband's belongings

Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband's belongings

I'm not sure what to do about my husband's stuff in the house.
I'm moving, I've asked him what he would like me to do with his things and he has just ignored me.
He has valuable things like guitars and other instruments but I don't want to take them with me to my new place if I can help it. I don't want his friends here packing up and his family are probably unwilling to help.
I can pack it and I will have my parents trailer here in a few weeks but I'd have to drop it somewhere, I guess I could contact a friend of his. He has a lot of stuff; furniture, piles of books, a computer, instruments etc.
Anyone been in a similar situation?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm, any way you can put it into storage for a set amount of time? Like one month strictly, and he has the option to pick it up or forfeit it?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Maybe you can drop it off at his parents' house?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He is at his dad's place but it's state housing - a very small overcrowded apartment.
His mum won't take it.
Maybe I'll try his brother, but if not, the storage thing is a good idea. Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just about any contract you sign for a storage container will renew month-to-month and YOU will be the one stuck for the fees. Even if he never retrieves them, the fees will continue to accrue, and if you don't pay them, YOUR credit gets dinged.

I would either get a friend of his to take it or else just move out and leave it there. Worst case scenario you will have to pay the landlord a fee for the cost of removing/disposing of it. I think simply abandoning it where he left it gets you off the hook, but you might want to check with a lawyer to be sure. As long as you let him know you're moving and you're leaving his stuff right where it is, the onus should be on him to get it out of there if he wants it. I don't think you'd be obligated to cart it around with you when you are moving.

As I said, a short conversation with a lawyer would be cheap, and would give you some peace of mind.