Coming off meds sux

Old 04-25-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming off meds sux

RAH is coming off his anti psychotic medication. His psychiatrist isn't a heavy prescriber anyway, and has monitored RAH quite carefully. Turns out it's interfering with his insulin regulation and he's headed into diabetes territory. Psych believes he's ready to come off so he's been weaning him down. Poor RAH has been hit with withdrawals - we were warned- he is sick as a dog - it's affected his gut mainly but he said it's like his brain is scatty and getting 'zapped'. His eyes are also doing this weird rapid movement thing.

I'm finding it hard to know my role - what's normal? I've become detached from anything to do w drinking....but now I can't work out what level of emotional and practical support and care is 'normal' or 'healthy'. That really sux. How can I be in my 40's and not sure how to care, or how much to care!!!

I've left him alone...kids and I are off having fun, but I'm worried about him. Not to the point I'm not enjoying but more reflecting that a 'normie' wouldn't be contemplating the questions I am!!

On other news...

He relapsed about 5-6 weeks ago but has been surprisingly good since then...working harder on recovery, more engaged and involved etc. I've been good w letting him get on w things and staying on my side - feeling ok no matter what happens... Keeping the worries and future tripping at bay!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jarp View Post
RAH is coming off his anti psychotic medication. His psychiatrist isn't a heavy prescriber anyway, and has monitored RAH quite carefully. Turns out it's interfering with his insulin regulation and he's headed into diabetes territory. Psych believes he's ready to come off so he's been weaning him down. Poor RAH has been hit with withdrawals - we were warned- he is sick as a dog - it's affected his gut mainly but he said it's like his brain is scatty and getting 'zapped'. His eyes are also doing this weird rapid movement thing.

I'm finding it hard to know my role - what's normal? I've become detached from anything to do w drinking....but now I can't work out what level of emotional and practical support and care is 'normal' or 'healthy'. That really sux. How can I be in my 40's and not sure how to care, or how much to care!!!

I've left him alone...kids and I are off having fun, but I'm worried about him. Not to the point I'm not enjoying but more reflecting that a 'normie' wouldn't be contemplating the questions I am!!

On other news...

He relapsed about 5-6 weeks ago but has been surprisingly good since then...working harder on recovery, more engaged and involved etc. I've been good w letting him get on w things and staying on my side - feeling ok no matter what happens... Keeping the worries and future tripping at bay!
Hi Jarp,

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say it sounds like yo are dealing with it well.

Hugs.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dang that sucks. My RAH is diabetic and his meds do cause increase in glucose but we don't have to be concerned since he is insulin dependent.

I think doing what you are doing is the best you can do. I hope that they have him on a very slow decline in taking him off of them rather than cold turkey.

Glad he got back on the wagon.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jarp View Post
Oh jarp, ((((((hugs)))))). You really have been through the ringer with all of this.

I don't have any real advice but thought I'd chime in & just let you know that my friend's husband is bipolar/alcoholic (dual diagnosis) & she has said the exact same thing as your quote above. She said that this is one of the hardest parts of it all for her to manage & so difficult to not swing between extremes of just not caring & caring too much. She's afraid it's changed the way she loves him - that she sometimes feels love for him more like obligation vs. being in love with her husband. She said the meds have changed his personality a lot & every time they have a med adjustment it's hard on the whole family. (although she credits the shock treatments he had with the lion's share of his personality changes) You aren't alone in this feeling.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jarp,

I am so proud of you. Your mindset is positive and I am just really impressed w/how far you have come.

I don't know the answer for your husband. It seems pretty scary that he would have to go off his meds. Is there any way to discuss other alternatives for him with his psych or another?

Tight hugs to you! XXX
Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Coming off of any psych drug is some scary scary business. And with those symptoms he's having, I would be concerned. I've never heard of being put on any type of psych drug for just a short time unless it was something short-termed for anxiety. What do they have him on that he shouldn't on for longer term? Is it for anxiety?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ugg - no advice but wanted to voice some support. You sound good in the middle of it all, and leaving him alone and having fun with the kids is important too, and OK TO DO!