detox redux

Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detox redux

I took a call from the brother of XAH. Word is he's had 2 seizures in the past three weeks. He has been trying to moderate so he can work and stay out of jail for unpaid child support (there is a bench warrant). He was found in the aisle of the big box store he was working for, nights, mopping floors. He was unconscious, taken by ambulance, spent hours in the ER waiting room in full DTs, hallucinating by the time he got a room. Still in restraints.

Last time, the doctors said that he had brain damage, shrinkage. Irreversible damage. And now he is facing legal issues, as he was driving on a suspended license, the bench warrant. Court may order rehab? Could this be bottom?

I have called to support his parents and siblings, reiterating Al Anon principles, giving them meeting times, and just listening. They are strong in their resolve. They have not enabled him. They will not bail him out in any way. His mother hasn't even visited, of course, he's still hallucinating. She need not see him that way. His parents are in their 80s, in poor health. The whole family is so, so sick.

Thanks for letting me vent, SR family. I am off to enjoy this beautiful day.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Ali, let's hope is does get sent to rehab because if his employers know why he had a seizure they're not likely to take him back. Your courts are wise to have this option.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes. If this isn't his bottom, nothing will be.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's what I'm thinking, Refiner. This is his 5th detox in 2 years. He has been near death each time. He may not have a bottom.

He's been moved to ICU, his DTs are severe. I'm not sure bottom matters anymore. He may not live through this detox. He has had more seizures, and possibly TIAs. Sad for him, our son, his daughter.

Thanks for responding.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sorry, Ali, I went through that with my second husband. He hung between life and death for a week or two. He got sober for a few months (during which time I stupidly married him in spite of a couple of slips), and he went right back to drinking. Somehow he's still alive 17 years later. I don't know if he has a bottom, either (other than the bottom of a six-foot-deep hole in the ground).

Hugs,
Old 04-25-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, LexiCat. I guess I'm now in a position where I may need to get a lawyer and court involved. I want to make sure that my son is going to have a responsible adult (my husband, his stepfather) to raise him should something happen to me. And I need to establish sole physical custody, at least. I don't think that will be a problem, for anyone. And, of course, supervised parenting time, if warranted. I'm getting a hit ahead of myself with those thoughts, considering he's exhibited all signs of wet brain for years, and may be disabled from this latest event.

But after speaking with my mother, we agreed that I need to make provisions for my son's care regardless of my XAH's outcome. My husband and I need a will. Etc. What a fun summer project!