Alcohol and mental health

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, in the end I wrote back to her and told her my actions and the ins and outs of my circumstances were none of her business. And that if she had concerns about my husband's mental health could she please act as she sees fit instead of passing the info on to me. I reiterated that any of them can take him to the hospital if they are that concerned. I can't do that as I am far away with a baby.

She wrote back to me that she hopes I find happiness and peace with my choices. lol. Passive aggressive much. I told her to look after herself and not worry about me because I will be fine.

I don't think I'll hear from her again.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great job!!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are going through all this. Life can be so hard at times. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks...
It is hard. Sometimes I think I'm too detached but I'm pretty sure that's just me being uncomfortable with not being codependent. Hopefully I'll get use to it!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Depending on the laws of your country, involuntary commitment can be incredibly difficult. In Australia the Mental Health Aact makes it almost impossible (I.e. The Act recognises the rights of individuals to make really bad decisions about their own lives). There would be virtually NO chance of having someone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I found this so hard to believe. My RAH ended up in the ER 4x last year and each time I was SURE that someone, somewhere in the system would recognise that he needed treatment and that he wasn't 'able' to make that decision for himself.

Funny that the experts knew more that I did :rolleye

When RAH wanted to get treatment, he was resourceful enough, and sane enough to go search that out. I found it hard to ever believe he'd be 'able' to do that....his behaviour was truly...crazy. The first trip to the ER I arrived and 4 security guards were holding him down. Other times he'd self harmed or attempted suicide...I thought...what on earth does someone have to do until someone sees he is insane!!!!

so I can see the dilemma.

But have faith....he has the tools, if he wants to get treatment he will. It can be very hard respecting the rits of individuals to make choices for themselves....even if that choice looks crazy...
Old 04-18-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by maybear View Post
Thanks...
It is hard. Sometimes I think I'm too detached but I'm pretty sure that's just me being uncomfortable with not being codependent. Hopefully I'll get use to it!
Please get use to it because you rocked that scenario! You set boundaries and that is so awesome because setting boundaries that are good for you is hard.

Way to go maybear!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you.
The funny thing is, I'm a social worker in the ER. Well that's my usual job but I'm a stay at home mum at the moment.
Clearly it's all so hard when it's your own life, but I am trying!
Thank you so much for the support.