O/T I'm hurting

Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Gonna definitely remember one green planet.com. This can never happen to my babies again. I have 4 cats, Misty is the only one that answers to her name. She follows me wherever I go. I can't leave or come in without giving her a kiss. She hasn't been really kissy with me today, but she did come next to me.

She's not a lap cat, my other cats are, but she always has to sleep right next to me in bed.

It's funny how she wakes me up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or wherever she goes. She cleans my hair. Well that wakes me up really fast.

She is doing a lot better tonight, still lethargic, but doing things that she used to do. She's jumping up on my kitchen counter, normally I would tell her to get off, but how can I? I think she needed the coldness of the kitchen counter top. She is now seeking out warmth. Sleeping in her bed near electric heater.

You know, I don't think I like this vet. He flushed out her mouth, he washed her feet, in case cleanser was still on her. He said that her throat looked fine like she didn't ingest anything, but why didn't he do a blood test? Was it too soon? I live in a hick town.

Misty is special to me.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

you have an appointment tomorrow, I think you said. I hope she continues to improve, and if you keep nourishment in her, it will be the best thing anyone can do for her.

love and hugs...
Misty does sound like a very special girl
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Thanks for the update Amy. I was thinking about your kitty all day. Hope she continues to improve.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Gonna definitely remember one green planet.com. This can never happen to my babies again. I have 4 cats, Misty is the only one that answers to her name. She follows me wherever I go. I can't leave or come in without giving her a kiss. She hasn't been really kissy with me today, but she did come next to me.

She's not a lap cat, my other cats are, but she always has to sleep right next to me in bed.

It's funny how she wakes me up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or wherever she goes. She cleans my hair. Well that wakes me up really fast.

She is doing a lot better tonight, still lethargic, but doing things that she used to do. She's jumping up on my kitchen counter, normally I would tell her to get off, but how can I? I think she needed the coldness of the kitchen counter top. She is now seeking out warmth. Sleeping in her bed near electric heater.

You know, I don't think I like this vet. He flushed out her mouth, he washed her feet, in case cleanser was still on her. He said that her throat looked fine like she didn't ingest anything, but why didn't he do a blood test? Was it too soon? I live in a hick town.

Misty is special to me.
If there were no signs that she swallowed anything, there probably wasn't any point to performing a blood test. If she had, she would have had burns in her throat. She probably just feels generally crappy, like anyone does when they get hurt. It's a good sign that she's jumping up on the counters and stuff. I know when my kitty had surgery a couple of weeks ago, I knew she was on the mend when she started being annoying and jumping up on things (even with her inflatable collar on).
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
If there were no signs that she swallowed anything, there probably wasn't any point to performing a blood test. If she had, she would have had burns in her throat. She probably just feels generally crappy, like anyone does when they get hurt. It's a good sign that she's jumping up on the counters and stuff. I know when my kitty had surgery a couple of weeks ago, I knew she was on the mend when she started being annoying and jumping up on things (even with her inflatable collar on).
OK, sorry I bothered anyone.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What the heck are you apologizing for? You were upset, that's what we're all here for, to support each other. I was just offering a possible explanation why he didn't perform a blood test. It didn't sound to me like he was being a bad vet for not doing it.

I'm really happy she's doing better.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm sorry here. I wasn't working off of all cylinders. Have been getting maybe 3 hours sleep a night. I am questioning vets treatment. I've been on the internet searching chemical poisoning in cats. This vet never asked me what I thought it was. I had the bottle with me. Never asked me for it. I was feeling calm when I got Misty home. Got really worried by the time I posted here.

I called the vet about her not eating. He just told me to give her canned foods. That wasn't working. I don't trust this vet. Except to take $125. from me. My Misty is doing so much better now, and it is with the help from SR. The necessity of getting her to eat, even if it is force fed.

I'm again on 2 hours sleep or less, got up to feed Misty again. If I seem incoherent please excuse me.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Amy,
I am glad she is doing better! You are doing a great job of caring for her. not all vets are equal, you are right. In as little as 48 hours of not eating, it can complicate things for them. So if he knew that she hadn't eaten in four days and still wasn't too concerned, I would get another vet for the future.
Cats are complicated little creatures. I have had many, and along with their advancing ages, have dealt with lots of different conditions. I fully believe in researching things myself, and finding a vet I trust.
Mar Vista Vet is a great site, for lots of interesting facts. I like Catster too.

hugs to you and Misty!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Chic, please post your vet website information on the Fluffy thread, it can be very helpful to others

Amy, hope you can take a nap today, you sound very tired too. Glad the kitty is doing better and it will take some time. Before you condemn your vet, why don't you talk to him about what you did and why? $125. is a lot for a short exam, speak up and tell him you are changing and give the reasons. It might just change his view and help others too.

hope your daughter gives you some peace and postpones the high drama visit.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Update. He did do the blood test today, I insisted. Gave me some kind of an appetite enhancer. Misty did have a bowel movement today. Yay. Maybe I am too much of a nervous Nellie. Her nose is still warm. She looks like cujo, from the drooling. I wouldn't let the vet clean her. She is trusting me to do that. I do a little at a time

I used her favorite toy today. She hid under the couch after I forced fed her. Put the laser light on. She came out. Even tried to play a little with it today.

I have learned so much about what affects cats. Chicory I'm going to read that website.

Will still do the force feed tonight, see how she is tomorrow, then if she is OK will let her go through the night, see if she eats on her own.

Also, If I appear I am getting a little snippy at points, I have had almost no sleep. I have insomnia. I take valerian root to sleep, stopped that, so that I could get up every few hours. Sometimes I can get a half hour sleep, sometimes none.

If I get crazy, just know I'm sorry.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
amy
Old 03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Put it down to a freak accident.
Cat will recover & bounce back, just give extra love for now.
Hugs.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

If he gave her an appetite stimulant, it may make her a bit loopy.. if its cyproheptadine, it can make them act a bit woozy.

I found one of the videos which shows a lady assist feeding her kitty. it might help you, to feel more relaxed. I hope she begins to eat soon, on her own.
baby food meat works well with syringe feedings.

is the drooling due to her sore tongue? And does she look yellow anywhere, like the whites of her eyes or inside her ears?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

(((Amy))) check in girlie. thinking of your Misty, and wondering how she is doing today.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Update: I think Misty is doing a lot better. She is getting stronger. Good for her, not good for me. (lol) She now knows the sounds that everything makes. If I open the tube of food gel, she knows it. She watches everything that I do, if I come to close, she hides under the couch. I have been using her laser toy to get her out from under there, and she picked up on this also. So now I am trying to outsmart a cat.

She has been sitting by her food dish and (I think) attempting to eat. I see her mouth moving when she is by the dish, but I don't hear any crunching. If I get up to watch more closely, she runs away. I went out today and bought her better cat food. Picked up some blue wilderness for adults. Thought the adult formula might be easier for her to eat.

The appetite stimulate they gave her is cyproheptadine. They also suggested mirtizipan. I said no to that because isn't mirtizipan really remeron. I was on that stuff and it made me sick. Guess if this doesn't work will try that.

She is constipated, but she is going. I am mixing in a little olive oil with the food I put in the syringe. She is drinking enough water, because her urination is ok.

So what I think I am really watching for now is for her to eat by herself, (probably would have been easier if she liked wet food), and constipation.

As I was typing this she saw a squirrel on the back deck, jumped off the couch and ran to the window. So that's a real good sign.

Also the other cats were leaving her alone this last week, but are now trying to engage her in playtime. I guess cats can tell when one is sick and they leave them alone then. Her nose is also getting a little cooler.

Me, I need some sleep. I have Misty sleeping with me, well she always did, but now when she wakes me up to leave the room, (she comes over and kisses me) I get up with her and follow her around to watch what she is doing. If she doesn't come back to bed with me, then I stay up to watch her.

Today, I'm going to try to force feed her less since I got her better food and hope with the appetite stimulant that she will start eating a little herself.

((((((((((hugs and thanks)))))))))))
amy
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
If he gave her an appetite stimulant, it may make her a bit loopy.. if its cyproheptadine, it can make them act a bit woozy.

I found one of the videos which shows a lady assist feeding her kitty. it might help you, to feel more relaxed. I hope she begins to eat soon, on her own.
baby food meat works well with syringe feedings.

is the drooling due to her sore tongue? And does she look yellow anywhere, like the whites of her eyes or inside her ears?

She was drooling a lot. She looks like a mangy cat. I've been trying to clean that. I did check the whites of her eyes. She has always had problems with one of her eyes. Chronic conjunctivitis? Sometime with the second lid. Unless she is very excited, you can always see part of that lid. Her eyes look okay other then that, but are watering more. Ears looked fine. I don't think jaundice, have been watching for that.

I did watch the video, that cat was so calm. I'm getting better at it though. I watched it the other night, I think it said in there to take them in the bathroom, which I had to start doing because she is getting faster. She still has not scratched me or bit me yet. (lol)

For syringe feeling I am using pro plan wet food, and putting in a little olive oil for the constipation. Does this sound ok to do. I was also hoping by giving the the wet food that she might like this, because she won't go near that stuff right now.

Do you think the baby food works better? I could try that also.

Thanks
amy
Old 03-25-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Fandy, regarding my daughter, she never did call me back, and she never came over. I guess I am getting use to this. Probably had more tickets for the NJ Devils, if they are still playing. If I recall correctly you have a very lovely daughter also. So I know you can understand how that stuff goes. (lol)

Thanks
amy
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I think if you can, use cat food to syringe feed. Cats need nutrients that aren't in baby food, specifically taurine. Also some baby food has onion or garlic - toxic to cats.

You can puree cat food with a little oil or water and then syringe feed. I worked at a shelter for a few years, and many a cat is saved with syringe feeding.

There is also powdered supplement (KMR) that is given to kittens that can be syringe fed, or you can mix KMR with canned cat food and water. It's just important to meet the specific dietary needs of cats, and people food doesn't do that. If you're syringe feeding, may as well use the most nutritionally sound cat food possible.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

You are such a good momma! Your Misty is lucky! Sounds like she is getting a little better, so glad to hear that. Hugs to you, I hope you get some much needed R&R soon!

XXX
Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think if you can, use cat food to syringe feed. Cats need nutrients that aren't in baby food, specifically taurine. Also some baby food has onion or garlic - toxic to cats.

You can puree cat food with a little oil or water and then syringe feed. I worked at a shelter for a few years, and many a cat is saved with syringe feeding.

There is also powdered supplement (KMR) that is given to kittens that can be syringe fed, or you can mix KMR with canned cat food and water. It's just important to meet the specific dietary needs of cats, and people food doesn't do that. If you're syringe feeding, may as well use the most nutritionally sound cat food possible.

Thank you so much for this info. Now need to research KMR for shopping list. Is Pro Plan a good wet cat food. I have been pureeing. Been doing that with olive oil to help with bowel movement.

I am rotating syringe feeding with force feeding. Force feeding meaning that I am also putting a high calorie booster gel on my finger and getting it onto her tongue. It's harder for her to spit out.

Some website also say to give regular milk to a cat since they are lactose intolerant, and this would help with bowel movements, been afraid to do that.

I am learning a lot here. I also found out when I researched further that by adding chicken broth to water this might get them to drink more water, but then I found out that if the package says natural flavoring, that most likely means onion. I thought if it said no salt added that it would be okay. Not so.

Thanks
amy