Another chance?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

He was diagnosed bipolar but I don't see the mania. It looks like depression along with decades of substance abuse from the age of around 12 so emotionally he isn't able to handle life it seems. I am very attached to him, "addicted," as he is with me. I'm sure from the co-dependent relationship but we were also very close-had our own jokes and laughed about a lot of things. And connected, although at other times I was selfish and cold, or so I'm told. I believe, like you, he should be working his program to get stronger. It looks like he is moving on to another relationship as of the last time I talked to him. He has needs and wants me but is going to move on because I don't want to live together. Or maybe he just said that. He said a lot of things. I know I need a counselor and support - it is a lot.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Paci,

You are bright and beautiful. Go shine at work. Go out and meet new people. Work on your problems.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paci View Post
He was diagnosed bipolar but I don't see the mania. It looks like depression along with decades of substance abuse from the age of around 12 so emotionally he isn't able to handle life it seems. I am very attached to him, "addicted," as he is with me. I'm sure from the co-dependent relationship but we were also very close-had our own jokes and laughed about a lot of things. And connected, although at other times I was selfish and cold, or so I'm told. I believe, like you, he should be working his program to get stronger. It looks like he is moving on to another relationship as of the last time I talked to him. He has needs and wants me but is going to move on because I don't want to live together. Or maybe he just said that. He said a lot of things. I know I need a counselor and support - it is a lot.
There are different types of bipolar. My RAH is type 2. His mania manifests as insomnia and irritability. Can be controlled but takes times to find the right mix of meds. Not unusual to find addiction issues with this MI - self medication very common.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Paci, he seems the type who will always find someone to look after him, so I'm not surprised he's looking around for another mother substitute if you're asking him to act like an adult.

Please get some counselling to help you do the best you can for you.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You like your life now, enjoy the peace. Why do you want to screw it up? Regarding his theatrical antics about coming back, alcoholics go to great lengths to hang on to their enablers. I apologize for being cut and dried, but you have too much to loose.