My alcoholic husband

Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My alcoholic husband

If my husband wasnt a alcoholic I wouldnt know how strong I am. I also wouldn't think about leaving him.

I grew up with a father that wasnt abusive, didnt drink, was a excellent provider. He also left the parenting up to my mom. He had nothing to do with anything that was difficult or uncomfortable as far as the kids were concerned. My mom was (still is) a wonderful mother and stayed with him despite being miserable. She never let on that she was resentful towards him but I could feel it. I internalized that to mean she didnt like me or being a mom. This is not true but its how kids think.

My husband being a alcoholic makes the decision to leave him a lot easier. I feel strength that my mom didn't feel. I can do this. It would be irresponsible of me NOT to leave him. Here I am, 43 and about to become a divorced single mom of 6 year old triplets. I have never felt stronger in my life!

The last thing I want to do is to find a Al-anon group that I resonate with. I have been thinking of going for months now but making excuses the day of. This weekend I found a video on YouTube about alcoholism that was oddly inspiring. I sent it to my husbands best friend who just got out of a 30 treatment for alcohol and he really liked it too. We both thought the woman in the video sounded like she had been through a 12 step program as well. I finally realized that the meetings might be inspirational!! Im actually looking forward to seeing for myself what goes on! I do think the 12 steps sound like something that I could greatly benefit from. Im extremely codependent and want to heal.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamapajama View Post
If my husband wasnt a alcoholic I wouldnt know how strong I am. I also wouldn't think about leaving him.

I grew up with a father that wasnt abusive, didnt drink, was a excellent provider. He also left the parenting up to my mom. He had nothing to do with anything that was difficult or uncomfortable as far as the kids were concerned. My mom was (still is) a wonderful mother and stayed with him despite being miserable. She never let on that she was resentful towards him but I could feel it. I internalized that to mean she didnt like me or being a mom. This is not true but its how kids think.

My husband being a alcoholic makes the decision to leave him a lot easier. I feel strength that my mom didn't feel. I can do this. It would be irresponsible of me NOT to leave him. Here I am, 43 and about to become a divorced single mom of 6 year old triplets. I have never felt stronger in my life!

The last thing I want to do is to find a Al-anon group that I resonate with. I have been thinking of going for months now but making excuses the day of. This weekend I found a video on YouTube about alcoholism that was oddly inspiring. I sent it to my husbands best friend who just got out of a 30 treatment for alcohol and he really liked it too. We both thought the woman in the video sounded like she had been through a 12 step program as well. I finally realized that the meetings might be inspirational!! Im actually looking forward to seeing for myself what goes on! I do think the 12 steps sound like something that I could greatly benefit from. Im extremely codependent and want to heal.
I put this in the gratitude list. I didnt realize that was a separate forum. Im glad someone moved it here!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this! Yes, go to a meeting, if you don't like that one, try another one! Glad you are doing well! Keep taking good care of YOU!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay! You are such a strong woman! I’m getting there! I like what you said about doing it for your kids! That’s so true! My baby boy deserves more!