Has Alcoholism aged you?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My husband went to get an intensive liver scenting and a bunch of other labs run with his new psychiatrist this evening. We'll find out soon just how much his alcoholism has aged/damaged him. It's the internal damage that's most concerning. He's 33, I wonder how old his liver is. He's already had ulcers a few years ago too.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, but I think the physical appearance is an indication as to what is happening internally. So, when you see certain physical signs, I wonder what is going on internally. If the physical signs are reversible (if the person stops the drinking), I imaging the internal stuff would be as well. I've heard that the thin legs and swollen belly are signs from the drinking...so I'm concerned as to if that is due to liver or something else.

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
My husband went to get an intensive liver scenting and a bunch of other labs run with his new psychiatrist this evening. We'll find out soon just how much his alcoholism has aged/damaged him. It's the internal damage that's most concerning. He's 33, I wonder how old his liver is. He's already had ulcers a few years ago too.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm not so sure about the 'wet brain" part resetting carmen.

There is a point of no return with the body, though it can recover from much abuse.

I would honestly say that I have recovered physically for the most part but
I do think I may have permanently lost a bit of my mental edge for good.

I never got close to the thin leg / swollen belly stage and I have been very
strict on not drinking and doing protocols to recover. Everyone is unique
but I wouldn't assume anything, especially if the person is not 100% committed
to stopping for good forever in the first place.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hawkeye, what is the point of no return? You said that you never got close to the "thin leg/swollen belly stage" .... is that a known stage? what does it typically mean?

Also, what is wet brain? thanks.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I'm not so sure about the 'wet brain" part resetting carmen.

There is a point of no return with the body, though it can recover from much abuse.

I would honestly say that I have recovered physically for the most part but
I do think I may have permanently lost a bit of my mental edge for good.

I never got close to the thin leg / swollen belly stage and I have been very
strict on not drinking and doing protocols to recover. Everyone is unique
but I wouldn't assume anything, especially if the person is not 100% committed
to stopping for good forever in the first place.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's been forever since I seen my exabf in person. However, we have mutual friends and I've see them posting pics of him on facebook being completely drunk. I guess nothing has changed with him. He's still a drunk!

However, his face looks horrible... Huge bags under eyes, small spider veins on tip of nose... puffy face and he's got that stubborn look to his face, complete redness on firgets under eyes and cheeks. His ears even looked red.

He most be really miserable if he's still drinking. What's wrong with him?? I know he's an alcholic just don't understand how someone can let alcohol or anything else addicting take over their life. Glad I left him when I did. May he find peace one day!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Roxxxy View Post
What's wrong with him?? I know he's an alcholic just don't understand how someone can let alcohol or anything else addicting take over their life.
That's sort of like asking how someone can let cancer take over their life. Nobody sets out to be an alcoholic. It isn't something that we "let happen." It's horrible and miserable.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What's wrong is you don't understand alcoholism or addiction. If you did you wouldn't make comments like "I just don't understand how someone can let alcohol or something else addicting take over their life", while in the same sentence acknowledging that he is an alcoholic. Scratching head.

Drinking to misery and destroying your life is the definition of an alcoholic. If he could stop he would. He can't - that's why its called an addiction.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow red!! ~ As I scratch my head..

I believe I may have failed to elaborate on my comment. Or you misunderstood the depth of my question/ comment. I understand it's an addiction. "What's wrong with him??" I was referring to where does the addiction come from.

No need to get touchy! After all we are all on here to learn and grow. You say I don't know anything about alcoholism and addiction?? That may be true, not having the addiction(s) myself. So why don't you educate me?? If anything, I was in a relationship with an alcoholic. Therefore, I know how it affected me mentally, emotionally and physically.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I hope this doesn't sound cruel, but I occasionally play a sort of game of spot the heavy drinker while riding on the metro, and there are usually a couple of candidates per car. Normally it's the red bloated face, extra weight and sad expression that gives them away. I kind of want to tell them that they don't have to live this way any more, but of course I don't.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Fluffer - I don't think it sounds cruel. At least to me it doesn't considering that I don't have any addiction(s). Yet, I understand what your saying by being able to spot the heavy drinker considering the changes/ effects it has on face. When I was dating my exabf he had the puffy face, red face and bags under eyes. Yet, very mild. I've always noticed it but never thought to much into it. I never knew those were signs of the alcohol. I know now being more educated on it through this site.

When I'm out in the social scene with friends meeting new people I sometimes come across people with these affects to face - I say to myself "oh he/she must be an alcoholic or recovery alcholic." I feel horrible thinking this but it is what it is.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sadly my AH looks terrible these days.

I found a lovely photo of me and him taken five years ago. He looked handsome and groomed with beautiful teeth...

Fast forward five years after years of alcoholism he now looks bloated, red faced, puffy and those beautiful teeth are all chipped and he doesn't smile much anymore because of that.

It breaks my heart......alcoholism sucks!

I would like my beautiful man back please....but thats got to be up to to him.

It so sad to watch him lose the battle with the bottle....
I hope one day he will get the help he needs and in the meantime all I can do is focus on myself.

I am doing my best by learning and growing and keeping my side of the street clean.

SR and Al Anon keep me sane Phiz
Old 05-23-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I hope this doesn't sound cruel, but I occasionally play a sort of game of spot the heavy drinker while riding on the metro, and there are usually a couple of candidates per car. Normally it's the red bloated face, extra weight and sad expression that gives them away. I kind of want to tell them that they don't have to live this way any more, but of course I don't.
Hi Fluffer

I do that too. I am coming up to five years sober and I am so grateful to no longer have a red bloated face, extra weight and depression. I look at others to remind me what I have to lose if I were to pick up a drink.

I found when I was in that place of daily drinking, I couldn't SEE my reflection. I had a veil of denial over it. I couldn't see just how ill and unhappy I looked.

My skin now is so clear and healthy looking. I am so grateful I quit.

I also stop taking care of my appearance, as mentioned with bad teeth, because I didn't think I was worth the effort. It was only when I quit and got some self esteem back, that I felt I was worth bothering with.

Addiction is a horrible thing. My AH is still active and I see that he is not happy but cant make a quit stick, even though it is killing him.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My husband is/was very good looking but over the past couple of years as his drinking progressed he just faded... As well as the physical effects from the alcohol he stopped caring for himself. Skipping showers and teeth brushing, letting his hair grow long and not washing it much.
I look back at when we met (people used to call us the colgate couple or barbie and ken ha ha) and even our wedding photos and he was so handsome.
I saw a photo of him the other day (he is in rehab at the moment) and he was looking much better. But I'm sure the alcohol has probably had some permanent effects.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
Hi Fluffer

I do that too. I am coming up to five years sober and I am so grateful to no longer have a red bloated face, extra weight and depression. I look at others to remind me what I have to lose if I were to pick up a drink.

I found when I was in that place of daily drinking, I couldn't SEE my reflection. I had a veil of denial over it. I couldn't see just how ill and unhappy I looked.

My skin now is so clear and healthy looking. I am so grateful I quit.

I also stop taking care of my appearance, as mentioned with bad teeth, because I didn't think I was worth the effort. It was only when I quit and got some self esteem back, that I felt I was worth bothering with.

Addiction is a horrible thing. My AH is still active and I see that he is not happy but cant make a quit stick, even though it is killing him.
Big congrats on five years, LeeJane. I'm only at six months but really liking it. Isn't it wonderful to be free?

I hope your husband can eventually see the light.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking 23.5 years ago I dropped about many years physically and emotionally.