AH told about MIL's cancer....but yet it's all about him

Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH told about MIL's cancer....but yet it's all about him

My mom told me a few weeks ago that she has cancer. It's always devastating news to hear especially given our family history of cancer.

My first instinct was to tell my AH ( we are separated) because this is the person I've turned to for emotional support for 20 years. I made the decision not to tell him because:
1. He was actively drinking. I can't discuss the weather with him much less cancer.
2. My motivation in wanting to tell him was to get emotional support and I already know he is not capable of providing that.
3. I couldn't handle this being his excuse to drink.

My mom decided to call him and tell him.
What does he do? Makes it all about him. Calls me, yelling and cursing because I didn't tell him. He's pissed that he had to hear it from my mom. Well it's her news to tell.

I got off the phone ASAP. But wow no sympathy, no asking how the kids are doing. I know I shouldn't be surprised. Alcoholism affects everything. I just haven't seen such a glaring example of how emotionally stunted he has become. I'm in shock that he made this all about him. There was so much I wanted to say but talking to him is like trying to nail jello to a tree.

I feel I had very valid reasons for not telling him about the cancer. He said I withheld it and should have told him. So now a little doubt creeps in but I think he would have reacted poorly regardless of how he was told.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds familiar. And infuriating. The first time DD tried to kill herself, AXH's only concern was how that would reflect on him.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Selfish, selfish, selfish. How awful.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. You and your family are in my prayers.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catherine628 View Post
My mom told me a few weeks ago that she has cancer. It's always devastating news to hear especially given our family history of cancer.

My first instinct was to tell my AH ( we are separated) because this is the person I've turned to for emotional support for 20 years. I made the decision not to tell him because:
1. He was actively drinking. I can't discuss the weather with him much less cancer.
2. My motivation in wanting to tell him was to get emotional support and I already know he is not capable of providing that.
3. I couldn't handle this being his excuse to drink.

My mom decided to call him and tell him.
What does he do? Makes it all about him. Calls me, yelling and cursing because I didn't tell him. He's pissed that he had to hear it from my mom. Well it's her news to tell.

I got off the phone ASAP. But wow no sympathy, no asking how the kids are doing. I know I shouldn't be surprised. Alcoholism affects everything. I just haven't seen such a glaring example of how emotionally stunted he has become. I'm in shock that he made this all about him. There was so much I wanted to say but talking to him is like trying to nail jello to a tree.

I feel I had very valid reasons for not telling him about the cancer. He said I withheld it and should have told him. So now a little doubt creeps in but I think he would have reacted poorly regardless of how he was told.
One of the things I have had to learn is that he would have made it all about him if you did tell him also.

You were in a lose lose situation. That helped me to not blame myself on top of everything else.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SO sorry to hear about your mom. You are correct, it was your mom's new to share with your separated AH.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry - totally agree you did the right thing. Sending you and your family strength, good wishes, and empathy.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great job thinking it through and attempting to have a healthy plan in place....
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Prayers ascending for your Mom.
I have heard at my Alanon meeting that "we don't have to go to every fight we're invited to."
Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catherine628 View Post
First of all I'm am SO SORRY to hear about your Mom. (((HUGS))) I hope she beats this and I wish you and your family the best.

Second of all, if you HAD told him he would have gone off on you and the world and used it as his excuse to drink openly or whatever and QUACK QUACK QUACK.

It really doesn't matter what his reaction is in the long run, does it? Especially when it remains ALL ABOUT HIM no matter what.

Stay strong.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My mom is very optimistic at this point.

I agree AH would have made it all about him no matter what. Sad. Too bad he won't choose an aggressive treatment plan like my mom.