Rehab lost AH's meds

Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab lost AH's meds

So, my AH was moved from one unit in rehab to another unit located about 10 miles away from the first. He took all of his medication with him and they had been dispensing them to him. Well, he found out today that they have "lost" all of the medications that he brought with him. They have been giving him meds through the pharmacy on site instead. My AH is a heart patient and it just blows my mind that this happened. His meds were all filled for 90 days and I do not see his dr's understanding that they got "lost" at rehab.

I have been doing so much better mentally and emotionally up until now. He is being discharged on Wednesday and unless something happens, he will be coming home with just enough medication to get him through next Friday. I plan on calling the facility on Monday if this is not resolved prior to that. I'm sorry but this has ticked me off.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm trying not to jump off the ledge right now. I know I am powerless over many things but this is just something else.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it is a medical facility then a formal complaint should be made. I am sure there are regulations regarding medications being "lost." There was at least when I worked in a residential program for people with disabilities.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsR#1 View Post
If it is a medical facility then a formal complaint should be made. I am sure there are regulations regarding medications being "lost." There was at least when I worked in a residential program for people with disabilities.
Yes, it is a medical facility. I am FLOORED to say the least. Thank you for your reply!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

they need to replace them
Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If his insurance covered the medications as well for a 90 day period there may be a problem getting them filled. The medical facility should replace them or the cost of them if you have to pay out of pocket to get them filled. Maybe they should be the ones to call the doctors for the new scripts (if they are needed.) This is very serious and I hope they take it that way. If they don't do anything, then I would find out what program (ie. city, state, etc.) they operate under and file a complaint with them. There are avenues to get this resolved.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsR#1 View Post
If his insurance covered the medications as well for a 90 day period there may be a problem getting them filled. The medical facility should replace them or the cost of them if you have to pay out of pocket to get them filled. Maybe they should be the ones to call the doctors for the new scripts (if they are needed.) This is very serious and I hope they take it that way. If they don't do anything, then I would find out what program (ie. city, state, etc.) they operate under and file a complaint with them. There are avenues to get this resolved.
You are correct. Insurance did cover them all. I will hopefully know by tomorrow what they plan on doing. If I am not satisfied with the answer they give my husband, I will call and take it to another level. If the meds were the type that could be sold on the street, etc...I could see someone stealing them (even if they do work at the rehab facility). But, they are not those types of medications. My husband takes 18 pills a day for his heart (5 different medications) and this is just WRONG.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did you actually talk to someone at the rehab facility who acknowledges this? Or just to the AH?

I have severe doubts about his story. I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Did you actually talk to someone at the rehab facility who acknowledges this? Or just to the AH?

I have severe doubts about his story. I'll leave it at that.
I have not talked to anyone at the facility yet. I am doing that tomorrow. He told me that they gave him enough medication to last through next Friday.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I might add that his medications were never transferred to the new unit when they moved him. Supposedly that is how they were deemed "lost". I have no problem whatsoever calling the facility. In my profession, we are strictly held accountable to the state for several things. A medical facility is as well. I will find out the truth and handle it. If the story is true, I will also notify the detox facility that referred him there and let them know what happened.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to agree that it might be helpful for you to not yet assume the worst. It does sound like something an some addicts might say for sympathy/attention or because they got confused (it can take months after detox for the brain to clear up) or simply because he can.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. I do hope you're able to stay calm enough that when you so see him again you aren't all riled up because of dealing with this.

Good luck when he comes out, I will be thinking of you.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
I have to agree that it might be helpful for you to not yet assume the worst. It does sound like something an some addicts might say for sympathy/attention or because they got confused (it can take months after detox for the brain to clear up) or simply because he can.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. I do hope you're able to stay calm enough that when you so see him again you aren't all riled up because of dealing with this.

Good luck when he comes out, I will be thinking of you.
He has never been one to seek sympathy with me but I can DEFINITELY see how he would be confused. I am riled up at the moment but this should be worked out tomorrow. If not, I will scream!! I just cannot let him come home without all of his medication.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So, his meds are likely back at the detox center, if his story is true. He got confused or was trying to manipulate things and told you they were lost. I read from your other post that he is going back to the detox place first before going home. So, if there was an issue there, he can take care of it, right? Honestly, I would not invest a whole lot of time or worry to what someone is telling you from rehab. People say all sort so things for a multitude of reasons when in those places and in early (year 1-2 of recovery).

You are doing a good job focusing on your side of the street from what I read of your other posts. One thing that took me a LOOOONNNGGG time to understand is that active and newly sober A's lie A LOT. Big things, small things, insignificant things, you name it. They also misrepresent situations and people. It seems to take a while for them to reduce doing that. Reading about addiction and how A's interact with others was helpful to me and might be to you too. Lot's of this stuff is very common and has nothing to do with anything other than A's brains are screwy for a while.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
So, his meds are likely back at the detox center, if his story is true. He got confused or was trying to manipulate things and told you they were lost. I read from your other post that he is going back to the detox place first before going home. So, if there was an issue there, he can take care of it, right? Honestly, I would not invest a whole lot of time or worry to what someone is telling you from rehab. People say all sort so things for a multitude of reasons when in those places and in early (year 1-2 of recovery).

You are doing a good job focusing on your side of the street from what I read of your other posts. One thing that took me a LOOOONNNGGG time to understand is that active and newly sober A's lie A LOT. Big things, small things, insignificant things, you name it. They also misrepresent situations and people. It seems to take a while for them to reduce doing that. Reading about addiction and how A's interact with others was helpful to me and might be to you too. Lot's of this stuff is very common and has nothing to do with anything other than A's brains are screwy for a while.
The problem is that the detox facility is local to home. He is in rehab which is 6 hours away in another state. I am curious to see what his story may be about it tonight when he calls!! Thanks for the heads up on the lying from a newly sober A!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My ex went to rehab out of state & they sent him home without his meds. They had changed his meds while in rehab so he couldn't just get a refill. The dr at rehab called in new prescriptions and he was able to get them the same day.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dojang View Post
My ex went to rehab out of state & they sent him home without his meds. They had changed his meds while in rehab so he couldn't just get a refill. The dr at rehab called in new prescriptions and he was able to get them the same day.
I can understand them changing his depression and anxiety meds. But medications from his cardiologist?? That isn't going to fly with me.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do agree that you need to find out more information from the facility.

In the 2 states that I deal with...a formal police report must be made & the report made available to prescribing doctor before they will even consider refilling "lost, stolen, missing" prescriptions.

If they were truly lost....someone needs to be held accountable. My grandchild is on serious cardio meds & he missed ANY of his doses....there could be dire consequences.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Since they lost them they should have to replace them free of charge.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey 'Bama, I think you're doing great, but I gently want to ask, what would happen if he were to be solely responsible for figuring this out? Accountability and responsibility are huge parts of recovery. I don't mean to imply we shouldn't help our spouses out when things go haywire, of course, but this is the kind of "life happens" thing that people deal with everyday, and the kind of things that addicts try to avoid dealing with everyday. Might there be some benefit for him to stepping back and allowing him to work this out on his own?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Agree with Sparkle, he is a big boy.

Of course you are concerned and I realize heart meds are imperative, but....

He is in a medical setting and pending further investigation into what really happened. Let him sort through this and take the stress off you. This would be a great example of a curve ball life throws and he needs to learn to deal accordingly.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sungrl View Post
Agree with Sparkle, he is a big boy.

Of course you are concerned and I realize heart meds are imperative, but....

He is in a medical setting and pending further investigation into what really happened. Let him sort through this and take the stress off you. This would be a great example of a curve ball life throws and he needs to learn to deal accordingly.
I stepped up to take care of it because I wanted to know the truth. Since someone replied that he could possibly be lying, I wanted to hear what the facility had to say. Also, with him being a cardiac patient, this is a very serious matter. So, I welcome a little gentle understanding.

I posted an update.