OT - I'm Power Washing My Side of the Street

Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - I'm Power Washing My Side of the Street

So...my weight troubles me. It troubles me because I need to lose some, and also because extreme morbid obesity and its attendant health problems is what took my mother from me far, far too early.

It is also one of the few remaining areas where my AH can really, REALLY upset me.

It's time to get this stuff under control. I have gained and lost the same 20 pounds over the past several years, and since my AH has been back working locally (since July), I have used the stress as an excuse to pack on another 10 pounds. I'm tall (5' 10"), and would like to lose around 40-50 pounds. There is a new Planet Fitness opening just a few blocks away from my home. It won't open until December, but I went and signed up, and can use another Planet Fitness location (about 5 miles away) until the new one opens. Tomorrow morning I'm heading in to climb on that treadmill for Week 1, Day 1 of Couch to 5K.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can understand how stress can put on weight-or take it off. The stress effected my weight also. I'm about 6"1 130 pds I do not mind this weight. I am small boned, so for the past years I have never been really what you would call heavy. But when I went through my divorce, gaining full custody of my child, loosing my job....no child support for my 12 yr. old boy. Instead of eating, I just food-take shut down. Dropped about 115 pds. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't see it, but others could. I plan to stay at 130-
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can understand how stress can put on weight-or take it off. The stress effected my weight also. I'm about 6"1 130 pds I do not mind this weight. I am small boned, so for the past years I have never been really what you would call heavy. But when I went through my divorce, gaining full custody of my child, loosing my job....no child support for my 12 yr. old boy. Instead of eating, I just food-take shut down. Dropped about 115 pds. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't see it, but others could. I plan to stay at 130- there is a Forum for food and nutrition I believe.

I hope everything goes well for you
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with C25K!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck with working out.
If you have a smartphone, there are apps like Lose It that can automatically track your steps each day, and you also can input your exercise and food data (with a convenient bar code scanner). It can be eye opening.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
I can understand how stress can put on weight-or take it off. The stress effected my weight also. I'm about 6"1 130 pds I do not mind this weight. I am small boned, so for the past years I have never been really what you would call heavy. But when I went through my divorce, gaining full custody of my child, loosing my job....no child support for my 12 yr. old boy. Instead of eating, I just food-take shut down. Dropped about 115 pds. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't see it, but others could. I plan to stay at 130- there is a Forum for food and nutrition I believe.

I hope everything goes well for you
Oh my God! I didn't drop 115 pounds....it was supposed to say 15
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I'm still telling people I'm working on losing the baby weight. My baby turns two next Wednesday, and her party is this Saturday. Yep, I'm losing that baby weight! *sigh* I eat fairly well, but it's the stinkin thinkin that we can just grab some pulled pork cheese fries from Wendy's since we're out and haven't had lunch that gets me. I never drink a Coke unless we go to Wendy's. But once I take that first sip, I'm like an alcoholic (bad example, but it's the closest comparison). I must have more, and I'll binge on Cokes for two days. Once I go back to my green tea and water, the bloating comes right off. I have zero self-discipline when it comes to exercise. I know that once I get into the routine, I'll do fine. It's getting my butt out of my sewing chair that's the problem.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by peaceofpi View Post
Good luck with working out.
If you have a smartphone, there are apps like Lose It that can automatically track your steps each day, and you also can input your exercise and food data (with a convenient bar code scanner). It can be eye opening.
My Galaxy Note has the Samsung step tracker on it. It's constantly reminding me that I am a lazy sloth. I spend plenty of time cleaning my house, but that's about it.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NWGRITS - Wendy's has pulled pork cheese fries?! Ugg...diet starts Monday now
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! I loved Planet Fitness (except that they don't let you do squats and deadlifts, that made me mad) but there's not one conveniently located where I live now.

And don't forget that a good workout burns off a LOT of stress.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is such a good thread bc Ive been needing a kick in the butt to make time to run more again... I am quite thin naturally and fortunate for that I guess (but stress keeps me small too I think) but I miss the mental health benefits of running and just have been totally unable to find time in the day to go for many many months...

Good for your Wisconsin for getting signed up And yes, A's know our achilles heels and just how to use them...

My xAH vascillates between telling me I am fat (not the case) or too thin (sometimes the case but not purposeful) and knows that either insult works bc it is upsetting to me to have him mock my appearance...
Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and get out frustrations. I just started working with a trainer at the gym. I don't need to lose weight but I was not in shape and I was not fit as far as muscle tone, etc.

I used an app called myfitnesspal where I kept track of every single bite of food that I ate and every single exercise I did, including my short walks with the dog. It was really helpful for me to see exactly where my calories were coming from.

Good luck to you!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wisconsin-

I agree with all the other great posts listed.

I want to add though that the physical part of activity is so helpful for me.....but I also have needed emotional support around my weight/eating/food/coping.

I have gotten similar support around this from other recovery options that I use for helping my recovery with loving a problem drinker.....but for me food (over or undereating) has been my coping mechanism similar to alcohol for my loved one.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find that the more diligently I work on my emotional health and beauty, the better my outsides look. Making a plan that is good for you like joining a gym does both! Congratulations on your healthy decision.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Was funny when I started taking care me more seriously. Yeah, part of Alanon.

Did not really have any weight to lose, but more like about working out swimming, etc. And I was just doing it all on the overnight projects when I was working out of town.

Figured since I was spending about 8 hours a week in the car, I should get some exercise. Did not make any big deal about, just started doing and working on me.

Just another thing that the A had to figure was Always All About the A.

Especially since she had to Rehab for Anorexia and Exercise Bulimia.

Even her sponsor sent me nasty notes, that I "must be exercising to bother her."

Vanity, vanity, vanity. AAAAA. Always All About the A or Addict.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great plan - I found keeping it simple, but absolutely committing to it (no matter what) & told myself that it wasn't going to happen overnight, but if I stuck to it (had a couple of different 2 mile walks that included a couple of hills 5 to 6 times a week & I swam 10 laps at least 4 days a week.....I reminded myself that it wasn't going to happen over night but it absolutely would happen if I did those 2 things.....I did & it did happen. My goal after losing the first 20 lbs was to start using weights....I did & I know spend 3 to 4 evenings for 30 minutes in the weight room & also still walk my hills. I dropped 40 lbs...added at least 20 in muscle.....dropped 2 dress sizes (more at one time, but I was not taking care of myself because of alcohol). I'm wearing clothes that hung in my closet for almost 8 years & treated my self to new ones......you can do it!!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
NWGRITS - Wendy's has pulled pork cheese fries?! Ugg...diet starts Monday now
Yes, they do. And these things are disgustingly delicious. Get them with the spicy sauce and don't skip the red onion. It's really a small portion, and the fries themselves probably aren't a problem, but it's the damn coke that gets me. Every single time. I'm only 15-20 pounds overweight, but I need to keep a few extra because I have Crohn's Disease, and that extra fat to burn can mean the difference between dealing at home or going to the hospital when I'm acutely ill. I can do to lose about 10 of those pounds, but my bigger concern is toning muscle. I was a cheerleader and in the marching band, and played field hockey and volleyball in college. I've never been so inactive in my life. Living in the rainy northwest has done me in. It's time for new orders and a warmer (dryer!) duty station. So I remind Mr. Grits every couple of months.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
Yes, they do. And these things are disgustingly delicious. Get them with the spicy sauce and don't skip the red onion. It's really a small portion, and the fries themselves probably aren't a problem, but it's the damn coke that gets me. Every single time. I'm only 15-20 pounds overweight, but I need to keep a few extra because I have Crohn's Disease, and that extra fat to burn can mean the difference between dealing at home or going to the hospital when I'm acutely ill. I can do to lose about 10 of those pounds, but my bigger concern is toning muscle. I was a cheerleader and in the marching band, and played field hockey and volleyball in college. I've never been so inactive in my life. Living in the rainy northwest has done me in. It's time for new orders and a warmer (dryer!) duty station. So I remind Mr. Grits every couple of months.
See, that's my problem too. It's not the weight, it's my fitness level that sucks, LOL! As for the Wendy's stuff, I don't think we have them here in AZ at our stores and since I don't eat pork, I'll be in the clear! I don't drink Coke either. I splurge on ginger ale when my IBS is acting up, though, or when I'm in the mood for something sweet.

So, Wisconsin, how is they gym for you? Hope you are finding a great release and new lease on life!!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Wisc! I just recently started going to Overeaters Anonymous and I'm loving it!
You can also get a little book called Twelve steps for overeaters.

I wasn't sure if I was a 'compulsive overeater', but then I decided I am.

AND! I've lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks, no diet. (but I avoid sugar and flour, and eat 3 meals a day, no snacks).
Exercise is great (i do yoga at home, which is free and convenient. oh and I walk a lot.)
but eating too much was the problem for me, weight-wise, and digestion-wise.

So I totally recommend OA

For the first time in my life I fell serene around food and confident I'm gonna lose the darn pounds.