plan b??

Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

plan b??

I was just told that the medication antabuse is a plan b to drinking. As in if you can't stop thinking about drinking you take the oil. What the hell is this and how did it work?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

antabuse is a prescription medication that when taken on a regular basis makes one violently ill if they ingest alcohol. this CAN be an effective tool, helping to break that connection between drinking and good times.

it requires the alcoholic TAKE the pill.
some alcoholics drink anyways.
there is no magic pill. nothing cures alcoholism. there are only tools that the addict can use to quit and then STAY QUIT for life.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its simply a deterrent it doesn't make someone "stop" thinking about drinking. It may be something that initially works but is no substitute for true recovery. I have known of people that used it successfully for a couple of weeks, but this was also while dedicating themselves to a 12 step.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So is the key to it working is to take it on a regular basis?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just having a conversation and it went like this:

this drug is used to help stop cure the craving.

me: how?

you take it when you are thinking about drinking. then get sick. it makes you not want to drink.

me: hmmm...

so its like plan b.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

My experience is it more like Plan D.

D for Drunk in this case.

MEANWHILE -- You work on YOU. Alanon, 12 Steps, all that -- the Whole Enchilada. Mighty Tasty Enchilada, at that.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

spia....one is supposed to take it every day by mouth. This keeps a steady blood level of the drug. If one drinks alcohol it makes one feel verrrry ill....nausea and vomiting.

The idea is to prevent them from taking a drink when an urge comes over them...because they dread the awful nausea and vomiting.
It is a useful tool for someone who is very motivated to stay sober. It is an added layer of help for someone who is bound and determined not to give in to the compulsion to drink....especially when they get triggered.

dandylion

LOL....Plan b is usually referring to birth control....a pill or dosage taken "after the fact"
Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
It makes alcoholics violently ill when they drink alcohol.

You know what also makes alcoholics violently ill when they drink alcohol?

Alcohol.

If alcohol can't keep an alcoholic from drinking alcohol I highly doubt antabuse can.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a friend who did this. He knew it would get him sick, he drank anyway. He also did mushrooms, threw them up, and then picked them up and ate them again. But anway.......

He then went to his gf's cabin, and drank himself to death. He was in AA, sober living, etc... for years. This drug only works if you want to stop.

(((hugs)))
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic myself, one has to want sobriety for her/himself. There are no shortcuts. I used to go to AA meetings and have knowledge on the steps. I no longer go to meetings or have a sponsor. I have chosen to stay sober and stay away from the first drink because I don't want my life to turn upside down. I am aware that one drink leads to passing and blacking out. I have been able to utilize, however, the AA principles I learned in the past to my current life. My husband has not drank in a couple weeks, but today he had 1 beer when we were out to lunch. He is sometimes able to do that, whereas if I did that, I would be obsessing the rest of the day about more drinks. He seems to have somewhat of a less addictive personality than me, but I still think he is an addict. Everyone is different and there are shades of gray. It is about knowing oneself.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I went to my husband's first therapy appt the therapist told us about it. It was the 1st thing we discussed and both of us were shocked the way it was brought up. She explained to us that it is something that I would give him every morning. I felt a little uncomfortable with that idea, like too controlling. My AH only saw her 1 other time before he decided she wasn't a good fit.

While the idea of the medication sounds good (getting sick if drinking), it was not something that I pushed for and neither did he.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my opinion it is to assist someone who is already very dedicated to their recovery. Keep in mind, if you drink while taking it, it does not just make you a little sick. You are violently ill. There are also other things that interact with it that have trace alcohol, so it is important to know what you can and cannot have.

I found that most drinkers I know would plan to drink on let's say, Friday. They would not take it for two to three days ahead. Most I know were taking it b/c they were trying to appease a family member. A waste of time and money in that situation.