Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Any other social drinkers lost all desire to ever drink again?

Any other social drinkers lost all desire to ever drink again?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was a social drinker. Now I will very occasionally have a drink if out with friends. Alcohol has a negative impact on my sleep and I love to sleep. I've found I have no desire to drink in my home. AH is an at home drinker and he always had a drink after work to relax.

Also my kids often ask me if the same thing that happened to daddy will happen to me. I don't want to increase their anxiety by drinking in front of them even though I try to explain that most people do not have a problem stopping at 1 or 2 drinks.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
msm

Used to enjoy a round or two but never to excess. After seeing what alcohol has done to my AH and many people close to me I can't stomach it. Seems to be a poison they can't turn away from at any personal cost. Little too rich for my blood.
I'm a social person and like to get out often but as I detach further from the alcoholics in my life I find I don't even want to be around them anymore as the majority of all discussions are about alcohol and activities all center around alcohol in one way or another. Simply sad...
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think about this a lot now that I'm free from my AXB. I very rarely drank before I met him and then I guess I became his drinking buddy. I stopped drinking when he went to Adcare. Then he relapsed after 3 months and then he went to rehab and I left. I have social anxiety so if I'm in a social situation, which isn't often because I avoid everything, I do have a couple beers. But honestly I don't enjoy it at all because of what I went through and it kind of sucks because I'd like to go out and have fun like "normal people."
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had a long period where I couldn't stand it and it made me feel nervous or guilty, but I know I'm fine with a few glasses of occasional wine, so that's what I might drink. I don't like being drunk or being around drunk people at all.

It's been two years now since I lived with my ex, and it took me about a year before I wasn't skeeved out by social drinking situations.