Anyone's A's had experience with the medication Baclofen?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone's A's had experience with the medication Baclofen?

AH's psych has put him on it to help with cravings and anxiety.

Anyone's A's have any experience with this drug?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not mine but a friend of mine swears this keeps her husb cravings away. He is very dedicated to sobriety however.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
torquemax777

It's interesting. A few years back, I was desperate to find something to help my AH. Started researching the topic and came across the Baclofen (sp?) treatment. My doctor had heard nothing of it, so I printed the info out for her and she was open to try it, and prescribed it for him. At the time I was a CNA at the hospital, and one of the perks is getting to know physicians on a more personal level, which in turn, makes them more open minded about treatments you would like to try. Anyway, I can't remember what Baclofen was originally prescribed for, it almost sounds like an anti-biotic, though I KNOW that's not what it was.... Anyway, it did work for my husband while he was using it. But my AH is the type that for one, hates to take any pill, for any and many reasons, and also, tends to think once he feels better he is "cured." Or he just thinks, it was probably his own self control and discipline that really got him sober, not the meds... The list goes on. He was the same with anti-depressants, or any "long-term" meds. And, after being sober for a few months he drank again anyway. Currently, he's using the good ol' "always fails" white knuckle sobriety. So I guess input I have is, does it work? yes/and no. Like any prescription or "internal" treatment method, it only works if you already absolutely, positively, completely,with all your heart, soul, and might, want it more than anything you ever wanted before, want it. It's like nicotine patches and gums, chantix, or whatever it is, can really get someone "over-the-hump" so-to-speak, but if they don't already want it anyway, it will not work. I often wondered why they don't come up with a vaccination of sorts; a one time injection, that would be like a permanent antibuse and naltrexone (sp?) that makes them not even get so much as a slight buzz, and on top of no buzz, causes them to immediately get violently ill, or like an actual allergic reaction. The scarey thought that follows though, is this; if that injection was possible, would there still be alcoholics who would opt NOT to take it? I think the answer is "yes." I just think it's in the "want" that is the real key to sobriety. That being said, for those who TRULY WANT sobriety, with their whole heart, I believe things like Baclofen, can be a lifesaver; both to the AH and the wife that is having to deal with his mood swings and irritability, just as much, if not more than the AH himself. That's my 2 cents worth. Sorry I wasn't more help.