Livin' the dream

Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Livin' the dream

I posted a few weeks ago on someone else's thread and promised an update on my new life. Many of you probably don't know me since I haven't been a regular poster here for a while now.

A little background:

In 2005 I separated from my alcoholic husband. I was at the lowest point in my life, resigned to live in misery for the rest of my life, just waiting to die. (I was in my mid-forties!) After a year or so of failed reconciliation attempts (I don't let go easily!), I finally divorced him and set about raising my two children--alone, for the most part.

Somewhere along the line, I discovered that I am passionate about two things besides my children. Photography and travel. What started as a little inkling that I might like to do both, became a full-blown obsession over the course of the next four years. I started taking steps and making plans, knowing that I could not actually fly the coop until both my children were grown and on their own. Well my friends, that day is imminent. I will be taking my son to his college dorm on the east coast in about a week. I am about to embark on one of the biggest adventures of my life.

I've been slowly downsizing over the past two years. I took early retirement from my job and decided to sell the house. The house didn't sell and the bank wouldn't budge on a mortgage modification, so they foreclosed. I'm okay with it because it's worth about half what I paid, and more than I owed, and it doesn't fit in with my plans anyway.

If it weren't for this site, I don't know how I would have survived those tumultuous times and had the courage to dig down deep inside and find myself under all that baggage that had built up over the course of my twenty year marriage.

So, as promised, here is my update. I've posted it on my blog, which you can read here. My new home. | Endless Weekend

There is life after being married to an alcoholic. I'm living proof!

L
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh wow! That is just gorgeous!!! I'm so happy for you!!

I'm also very jealous.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome. Your new home looks amazing and I'm so impressed with the remodel of both the camper and your life! Wow!

ETA: I'm super jealous too, lol. I got some plans - and I have 9 loooong years to work on them
Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Thumper, I know people always say it will go by before you know it, but it's true! Seriously! When I split with my AH, my kids were 9 and 13--now they are 22 and 18. Where has the time gone?!

L
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So happy for you LTD. You have always inspired me in so many ways. I don't post much anymore either; but visit usually everyday. My experiences and recovery have been very similar to yours.

I have also found my passion -- in real estate. It started with a inexplicable urge three years ago to buy a foreclosed home down the block from me. I've added two more houses; and now am "landlord" at three properties. My "new" husband and I put the sweat equity into them, and they are cash-flowing very well.

Now we are ready to embark on our next adventure of getting our real estate license. The only step left is to take (and pass!) the State exam; applied, and waiting to schedule. In the next year (or sooner) I hope to be able to leave my current career - as I am totally burnt out - and focus on the real estate business.

Tricking out a motor home and living on the road - well, it could happen. For now, we enjoy weekends away in our little pop-up camper!

Good luck to you LTD!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your lovely, wonderful post, LaTeeDa!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BEAUTIFUL HOME!! I'm a tent camper myself and often tease my sis about her "frufru" glamping style as not being real camping. Thing is, if I could park the thing deep in the woods off the beaten path, I'd be livin' large and and lovin' life just as easily (heck maybe more since I'd have the comforts of a kitchen and a bathroom and little threat of snakes and bears threatening my peace!). Your pics are gorgeous! I too am closing in on the ole empty nester life (sons are living at home while in college,but not much longer).

I'm going off the grid cabin in the woods style, already have my property and have tent camped several times there. AH is not exactly sold on ever living that way fulltime, and oddly enough, as much as I love him, I do not feel the least bit obligated to sell it to him, or fret if he doesn't join in.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!! I wish you the best on your adventure. You deserve the serenity you are finding and you are an inspiration to me.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration!!!! I just PMd you -- if you come around my neck of the woods, let me know! My driveway's probably big enough for your rig and I make a mean lasagna and my kids would LOVE to meet your fur baby!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful update!! Congrats to you on your new life! I hope you enjoy all of it!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
torquemax777

How refreshing!

Definitely refreshing to live vicariously through someone who has made it through the dark valley and onto greener pastures!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Very inspirational. Thank you and congratulations!

I think you should call her - LaTeeDa! I love that name.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what a wonderful update! loving the new digs!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I need to go back and read everything.. but I certainly remember you.. too MUCH insight from you and am so glad to see you happy and healthy!!! Eep!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a terrific post! Thank you so much for the update, it's such an inspiration to see how good life can be once you cut a toxic relationship. Have a ball, kick up your heels and fly!!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you & thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi LTD,

You are so cool. When I grow up, I want to be you.

How's your son? School starts soon?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That is so awesome and inspiring. Good luck on your new journey! xoxox
Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Deja Vu All Over Again

I was gonna say exactly what thumper said in Post #3, so no need to be redundant all over again, eh? Nice Remo!

I've been Camping and Trailering for Decades, and love the Mind-freeing aspect of it. In an effort to pay it forward/pay it back, I give Tech_y advice on several RV Forums. A great bunch of interesting, outside-the-Box Folks that will definitely enhance your Life. Beyond helpful.

Starting with my first Biz Trip to Japan circa '83, the idea of reusing space and doing with 'less' has fascinated me. This Solar-run, 2 Bedroom Retirement House I designed and built after retiring at age 48 realized many of those concepts, and I use them in my lil Camping Trailer. I'm always mucking around with something, and making whatever I haul with me do double duty plus.

Indeed, I'm away solo in a few days to see a part of the Rockies we first saw over the Weekend. And, to learn more about a now-defunct Narrow Gauge Railroad that really made this area 'happen'. Staying in touch while Mobile is much easier these days, and shedding the 'unnecessary' while in an RV is a nice Metaphor for Sober Life.

'Today is the first day of the rest of your Life', as the saying goes, and your excitement jumps off the Page.

I'm a 'Point & Shoot' kinda Fotog. Here's one at Ahlstrom's Point on Lake Powell at the Utah - Arizona Border while I was 'Boondocking'.

All The Best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ahlstrom's Point_700.jpg (61.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!! I have had similar dreams for the mobile life for many years. Bought an already remodeled pull behind but lost it in a tornado and made different choices...choosing to move where I wanted rather than replace it but still have hopes.

I am SO happy for you!