Courage To Change 08/01/14

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 08/01/14

I came to Al-Anon to discover how to get a loved one to stop drinking, hoping that my life would then return to normal. In Al-Anon I came to understand that I did not cause alcoholism, I can’t control it, and I can’t cure it. But I can apply the Twelve Steps to my own life so that I can find sanity and contentment whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not. This is why, in Al-Anon, the focus must be on me. I soon discovered that I had problems of my own that needed attention: I had undergone some unhealthy changes as I attempted to cope with the disease of alcoholism. These changes had occurred so slowly and subtly that I had not been aware of them. I shared openly about this in Al-Anon meetings and became willing to let go of attitudes that no longer seemed appropriate. With the help of my Higher Power, I began to shed self-destructive habits. In time I felt I had regained my true self. I began to grow again.

Today’s Reminder
I do not respond well when someone tries to impose their will on me; why have I tried to impose my will on those around me? There is only one person I am responsible for, and that is me. There is only one person who can make my life as full as possible—that, too, is me.
“Today I will keep hands off and keep my focus where it belongs, on me.”
. . . In All Our Affairs