Ignore the problem..

Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ignore the problem..

And maybe it will go away.
Ignore the drinking, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the job, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the wife, maybe she will go away.
Ignore the children, maybe they will go away.
Ignore the house, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the divorce papers, maybe they will go away.
Ignore the happiness for fear it will go away.
Ignore life, maybe it will go away.

I think this is the thought process of my rAH. I think that some of it he is aware of and doing some on purpose and some he is completely unaware of.

I am having rough morning. Prayers are appreciated. I have to leave work in about 30 min to go meet with my attorney to decide on separation of property because he has not/will not discussed the decree that he has had for a month and a half. He will then have the choice to sign or be served.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lyssy---there are some people who have what is termed an "avoidant personality". They operate just like this. If it is unpleasant or scary they just avoid......

dandylion
Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
And maybe it will go away.
Ignore the drinking, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the job, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the wife, maybe she will go away.
Ignore the children, maybe they will go away.
Ignore the house, maybe it will go away.
Ignore the divorce papers, maybe they will go away.
Ignore the happiness for fear it will go away.
Ignore life, maybe it will go away.

I think this is the thought process of my rAH.
Im not the Addict, but sadly, I had these exact same thoughts and behaviors! I didnt want to deal with reality either....SAD!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lyssy---there is a difference between not WANTING to deal with scary or unpleasant or difficult situations--and, even procrastinating a bit on some of them.

Few people WANT to face these things and run toward them with relish.

Avoidant personalities are a very extreme example--pushing all things under the rug.

just saying.......LOL

dandylion
Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about your state, but my attorney told me once someone is served if they don't respond w/in 45 days the judge will normally just rule on what they have been served with.

Good luck. It's so hard, I'm sorry. Sending prayers your way!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have described my AH to a tee. he never faces anything. He ignores it. I keep reminding him about the divorce papers and he keeps pretending everything is honkey dorey and we are the happiest family in the land, I just dont get it? Most of the time I just go along with it to maintain the peace.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Lyssy---there are some people who have what is termed an "avoidant personality". They operate just like this. If it is unpleasant or scary they just avoid......

dandylion
Just add "unless he was drinking" to the end of each of these and you have summed up my rAH. WOW. Because he was always drinking (before) I guess I just never saw it, or if I did, I contributed it to the drinking.

Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection unless he was drinking.

Is unwilling to get involved with people unless they are certain of being liked unless he was drinking.

Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed unless he was drinking.

Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations unless he was drinking.

Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy unless he was drinking.

Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others unless he was drinking.

Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing unless he was drinking.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you very much! This very accurately describes my ACoA husband. I thought it was 'normal' for a long time, he says it's just the way he is; then I thought it was the alcoholism.

Characteristics of AVPD

The following is a list of some of the more common characteristics & traits of people who suffer from Avoidant Personality Disorder (AVPD). Click on the links to see more information on each trait.

Note that these traits are given as a guideline only and are not intended for diagnosis. People who suffer from AVPD are all unique and so each person will display a different subset of traits. Also, note that everyone displays "avoidant" behaviors from time to time. Therefore, if a person exhibits one or some of these traits, that does not necessarily qualify them for a diagnosis of AVPD. See the DSM Criteria on this page for diagnostic criteria for AVPD.

"Always" and "Never" Statements - "Always" and "Never" Statements are declarations containing the words "always" or "never". They are commonly used but rarely true.

Avoidance - The practice of withdrawing from relationships with other people as a defensive measure to reduce the risk of rejection, accountability, criticism or exposure.

Blaming - The practice of identifying a person or people responsible for creating a problem, rather than identifying ways of dealing with the problem.

Catastrophizing - The habit of automatically assuming a "worst case scenario" and inappropriately characterizing minor or moderate problems or issues as catastrophic events.

Circular Conversations - Arguments which go on almost endlessly, repeating the same patterns with no resolution.

"Control-Me" Syndrome - This describes a tendency which some people have to foster relationships with people who have a controlling narcissistic, antisocial or "acting-out" nature.

Dependency - An inappropriate and chronic reliance by an adult individual on another individual for their health, subsistence, decision making or personal and emotional well-being.

Depression - When you feel sadder than you think you should, for longer than you think you should - but still can't seem to break out of it - that's depression. People who suffer from personality disorders are often also diagnosed with depression resulting from mistreatment at the hands of others, low self-worth and the results of their own poor choices.

Emotional Blackmail - A system of threats and punishments used in an attempt to control someone’s behaviors.

Engulfment - An unhealthy and overwhelming level of attention and dependency on another person, which comes from imagining or believing one exists only within the context of that relationship.

Escape To Fantasy - Taking an imaginary excursion to a happier, more hopeful place.

False Accusations - Patterns of unwarranted or exaggerated criticism directed towards someone else.

Fear of Abandonment - An irrational belief that one is imminent danger of being personally rejected, discarded or replaced.

FOG - Fear, Obligation & Guilt - The acronym FOG, for Fear, Obligation and Guilt, was first coined by Susan Forward & Donna Frazier in Emotional Blackmail and describes feelings that a person often has when in a relationship with someone who suffers from a personality disorder. Our website, Out of the FOG, is named after this acronym.

Hoovers & Hoovering - A Hoover is a metaphor taken from the popular brand of vacuum cleaners, to describe how an abuse victim trying to assert their own rights by leaving or limiting contact in a dysfunctional relationship, gets “sucked back in” when the perpetrator temporarily exhibits improved or desirable behavior.

Hyper Vigilance - Maintaining an unhealthy level of interest in the behaviors, comments, thoughts and interests of others.

Identity Disturbance - A psychological term used to describe a distorted or inconsistent self-view

Impulsiveness - The tendency to act or speak based on current feelings rather than logical reasoning.

Lack of Object Constancy - An inability to remember that people or objects are consistent, trustworthy and reliable, especially when they are out of your immediate field of vision.

Learned Helplessness- Learned helplessness is when a person begins to believe that they have no control over a situation, even when they do.

Low-Functioning - A Low-Functioning Personality-Disordered Individual is one who is unable to conceal their dysfunctional behavior from public view or maintain a positive public or professional profile.

Low Self-Esteem - A common name for a negatively-distorted self-view which is inconsistent with reality.

Mirroring - Imitating or copying another person's characteristics, behaviors or traits.

Mood Swings - Unpredictable, rapid, dramatic emotional cycles which cannot be readily explained by changes in external circumstances.

Neglect - A passive form of abuse in which the physical or emotional needs of a dependent are disregarded or ignored by the person responsible for them.

Objectification - The practice of treating a person or a group of people like an object.

Panic Attacks - Short intense episodes of fear or anxiety, often accompanied by physical symptoms, such as hyperventilating, shaking, sweating and chills.

Parentification - A form of role reversal, in which a child is inappropriately given the role of meeting the emotional or physical needs of the parent or of the family’s other children.

Passive-Aggressive Behavior - Expressing negative feelings in an unassertive, passive way.

Perfectionism - The maladaptive practice of holding oneself or others to an unrealistic, unattainable or unsustainable standard of organization, order, or accomplishment in one particular area of living, while sometimes neglecting common standards of organization, order or accomplishment in other areas of living.

Projection - The act of attributing one's own feelings or traits to another person and imagining or believing that the other person has those same feelings or traits.

Sabotage - The spontaneous disruption of calm or status quo in order to serve a personal interest, provoke a conflict or draw attention.

Selective Competence - The practice of demonstrating different levels of intelligence or ability depending on the situation or environment.

Selective Memory and Selective Amnesia - The use of memory, or a lack of memory, which is selective to the point of reinforcing a bias, belief or desired outcome.

Self-Loathing - An extreme hatred of one's own self, actions or one's ethnic or demographic background.

Self-Victimization - Self-Victimization or "playing the victim" is the act of casting oneself as a victim in order to control others by soliciting a sympathetic response from them or diverting their attention away from abusive behavior.

Splitting - The practice of regarding people and situations as either completely "good" or completely "bad".

Testing - Repeatedly forcing another individual to demonstrate or prove their love or commitment to a relationship.

Thought Policing - A process of interrogation or attempt to control another individual's thoughts or feelings.

Tunnel Vision - A tendency to focus on a single concern, while neglecting or ignoring other important priorities.

http://outofthefog.net/Disorders/AVPD.html
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know if it's the hypochondriac in me or what. But whenever I read these lists I see that at least half of them apply to me or my AW or both. :-)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i believe i've used one or two off that list in my time too! it's always good when we can find ways to identify certain issues, but let's make sure not to dump them ALL on "them" and hold ourselves completely without fault or blameless!

surely the reason why we often end up in relationships with alcoholic/addicts of many years which have become quite painful is that we too ignored some stuff. or avoided looking at the truth.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i believe i've used one or two off that list in my time too! it's always good when we can find ways to identify certain issues, but let's make sure not to dump them ALL on "them" and hold ourselves completely without fault or blameless!

surely the reason why we often end up in relationships with alcoholic/addicts of many years which have become quite painful is that we too ignored some stuff. or avoided looking at the truth.
Sure, I am guilty. There are definitely things I don't like to do. I hate to clean the bathroom. I hate to clean the litter box. I hate to file (at work). I hate to process invoices (work). BUT I do these things because they are my responsibility and they won't get done if I don't do them. I am not talking about the day-to-day things (with rAH). I am talking about big things or things that affect others.

IMO if there is an issue and it needs to be address, the sooner it is addressed and taken care of the better off all will be. If the issue is neglected (time and time again) it only gets worse in all aspects.

So how do you separate these issues from codependency? If he won't do them, that leaves me to either do them myself or hire someone else to do them.

One thing I have really been working on this past year is NOT being a nag and saying things one time and meaning them and then leaving it alone. So how do you do that with this kind of behavior?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you mean BESIDES the cattle prod? it's tricky lyssy....it really is. if we "recuse" them from as many responsibilities as we can, we simply load our plate even fuller - BUT we also know these things will get done in a reasonable amount of time. so i guess part of it has to be - what can we LIVE with. what gives US the most peace.

not sure if it's enabling or controlling, but i manage ALL the finances, bank accounts, loans, savings, bills in our house. i can't imagine it any other way!!! not that hank isn't capable, but he really has no interest and PREFERS to have his very own accountant. and tax preparer. etc etc. that sets us both up for SUCCESS....i don't have to stress and fret and hover and check to see if he paid the bill or made the transfer or called the insurance company. and bless his heart, he has complete faith that i will! it's not that he ever HAD the job and then flaked out and lost it, i never GAVE up control or responsibility!

but if we get to a point where we have taken away any important task or function from them so they don't get the chance to screw it up, if we have reduced expectations to so little that they are really only a ghost in the house, not involved, not engaged, not PART OF - then we have to maybe ask what the hell is the point??
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Anvil. I really tried hard this past year. I had read about respect and dignity that I was taking away from him by contolling/taking care of everything. I was also exhausted. Nothing much has changed except things are not being taken care of. At least I know I tried, but I can't live like this. And I am still exhausted. LOL.

edit.. I didn't dump everything on him. It was things he was to be taking care of all along. I also was clear and direct that I needed him to step up and take responsibility.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for this:

I think I have an addictive personality but I'm just not seriously addicted to anything. I think that's kind of how I ended up marrying another person with a similar personality and for the vast majority of our relationship neither one of us was addicted to anything. This experience however has made us both look at ourselves which I think is an invaluable experience and very humbling.

Another thing, I feel like a LOT of those characteristics are crossed over into other maladies or personality disorders too. Sometimes, a person is just an a-hole without assigning a specific name to their a-holeness.